Most musically satisfying universal IEM ?????
Dec 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fzman

Headphoneus Supremus
So, it being the Holiday season I've got the buy-bug again, and decided I'd focus on upper-tier performance iems, that will "leave me alone iwth the music".  I've liked mostly single driver units, mostly dynamics, and am looking for something universal (not custom) that will really make me happy - natural and honest, open, dynamic, full-range but not too tipped up or down - I am neither a bass-head nor a detail freak.  I do not like things which are artificially 'Hi-Fi" and these will be for pleasure, not analysis, so brutally honest is also out of the picture for me. 

I should also point out that I am a speaker person as well, and have very good, biamped full range speakers and love and appreciate good, extended, defined bottom-end but which has body to it as well.  In speaker-terms, I do not want an iem that is like a mini-monitor, which is pristine, but lacks body and warmth (respect 'em, just not what I'm looking for).  

I listen mostly to acoustic jazz, along with a fair amount of prog rock, Zappa, some fusion, and even stuff like Primus or Slipknot .Perhaps because of this, I listen for tonal accuracy and seamlessness - for an emotional connection or an intellectual connection to the music.  I want to be able to hear the difference between plastic and wooden tipped sticks, between Strats and Les Pauls, and I do not want alto saxes to sound like tenors, or vice versa.  I want a marimba to sound like it has wooden keys, and vibes to sound like they have metal ones.......   I want dynamics, but I want dynamic coherence - that is for all ranges to be equally dynamic.  I want to get closer to the music, and for the gear to get out of the way, so the music "sounds like it does in real life".

Thanks for reading this - I look forward to seeing your comments and/or suggestions.

PS I did edit this post and changed the title, in case it was coming across as being snarky or a troll -- I meant it to be neither.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 4
I really enjoy my Brainwavz M2 with Comply T-400 foam tips.  They are midrange focused with definite low end punch.  The treble is very pleasant and not bright.

I can wear them for ours with the Comply tips.

They can be found for under $100.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 4
  So, it being the Holiday season I've got the buy-bug again, and decided I'd focus on upper-tier performance iems, that will "leave me alone iwth the music".  I've liked mostly single driver units, mostly dynamics, and am looking for something universal (not custom) that will really make me happy - natural and honest, open, dynamic, full-range but not too tipped up or down - I am neither a bass-head nor a detail freak.  I do not like things which are artificially 'Hi-Fi" and these will be for pleasure, not analysis, so brutally honest is also out of the picture for me. 

I should also point out that I am a speaker person as well, and have very good, biamped full range speakers and love and appreciate good, extended, defined bottom-end but which has body to it as well.  In speaker-terms, I do not want an iem that is like a mini-monitor, which is pristine, but lacks body and warmth (respect 'em, just not what I'm looking for).  

I listen mostly to acoustic jazz, along with a fair amount of prog rock, Zappa, some fusion, and even stuff like Primus or Slipknot .Perhaps because of this, I listen for tonal accuracy and seamlessness - for an emotional connection or an intellectual connection to the music.  I want to be able to hear the difference between plastic and wooden tipped sticks, between Strats and Les Pauls, and I do not want alto saxes to sound like tenors, or vice versa.  I want a marimba to sound like it has wooden keys, and vibes to sound like they have metal ones.......   I want dynamics, but I want dynamic coherence - that is for all ranges to be equally dynamic.  I want to get closer to the music, and for the gear to get out of the way, so the music "sounds like it does in real life".

Thanks for reading this - I look forward to seeing your comments and/or suggestions.

PS I did edit this post and changed the title, in case it was coming across as being snarky or a troll -- I meant it to be neither.

Reading your preferences for tuning: Accurate without dips or bumps, but with with good bass extension, definition and body; and your preferences for music; and your desire for an earphone that simply lets you enjoy the music. A top-tier universal comes to mind, the Noble 6. I had a week with a prototype Noble 6 and it's everything you are looking for. Yes, you have liked dynamic driver iems, but the Noble 6 is what fits your preferences for sound exactly.

You'll thank me when you get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back