MOST INFLUENTIAL REGGAE ARTIST/s
Sep 8, 2009 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

THAY BRAN

100+ Head-Fier
I have a feeling alot of people [ who know little about reggae ] will state Bob Marley. Although he is the highest selling Reggae artist in history I personally feel he was not the best or most influential.

Vivian Jackson
Lee Perry
Steel Pulse
Johnnie Clarke
Burning Spear

Anyone else care to share?

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 15
I've always thought Toots & the Maytals were pretty influential.. but my Reggae knowledge is patchy at best.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 15
Dennis%2BBrown%2B-%2BBest%2Bof%2Bthe%2BJoe%2BGibbs%2BYears.jpg

he was the main influence of many major singers, including Michael Rose.

also, Dillinger and U-Roy influenced a lot of deejays

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 15
honestly, I think Bob Marley is clearly the most influencial reggae artist, as people all around the world in every country know his music. And all in all, he is my favorite reggae artist, though I like many others as well.

All the other memebers of the wailers were very influencial, essp peter tosh and bunny wailer

Max Romeo was eary on and very inspierational

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 15
Any Augustus Pablo fans? I'm not going to say he was the most influential reggae artist (to me, there is clearly only one option), just curious if anyone else digs him.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 15
The Wailers (Bob, Peter, Bunny) influence is overwhelming and without question. However, in addition to those mentioned above I would add

Black Uhuru
Mutabaruka
Yellowman
U-Roy
Jimmy Cliff
The Skatalites
King Tubby
Sly & Robbie

The influence of people like Perry, Tubby and Sly and Robbie will tend to be underestimated since they worked mainly behind the scenes.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 15
Honestly, I think we can't talk about reggae without talking about Bob Marley. Perhaps am ignorant with regards to the other reggae artists but I still think Bob Marley is the most influential reggae artist in the broadest sense of that word.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 15
too bad Island's Marley albums have been teinted w/ rock influences to please the new american market because of Chris Blackwell(aka "teh vampire")....Marley is pop-rock reggae to me, not like there's anything wrong w/ that..

Chris Blackwell vampire - Google Search

Lee Perry is the half that's never been told, he learned Marley how to sing to begin w/
biggrin.gif

don't wanna start an egg/chicken theory, though
tracker.gif

if you're interested in the story of jamaican reggae, this book is not to be missed:

OP51469.jpg

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any Augustus Pablo fans? I'm not going to say he was the most influential reggae artist (to me, there is clearly only one option), just curious if anyone else digs him.

I've always dreamed about playing red melodica, if that's what you'd call "influential"
biggrin.gif

there's that "Alpha & Omega" UK band that tries to mimick his melodica playing...but well, not quite there...maybe the ganja is not good enough
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 15
While probably not the most influential, I was very excited to have seen Burning Spear perform this year, it was awesome to have the full experience, not just a recording!

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #13 of 15
Justin Hinds is among the names to be considered.

I think there must be made a difference between the most influential reggae artist for other reggate artists and the most influential artist for "the rest of the world", if you see what I mean.

Clearly, Bob Marley is the one who made reggae known in "the rest of the world".

But as for the most influential reggae artist "in the reggae world"... Max Romeo? Justin Hinds? Lee Perry?

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always thought Toots & the Maytals were pretty influential...

Bob and the Wailers are easily the most influential, and if you ever get the opportunity to watch vintage video of them performing you can both see and hear why. However, Toots Hibbert actually coined the term "reggae."

Personally, I'm waaaayyyy into Burning Spear: Winston Rodney is a true conceptualist. There's this recent disc of his early apprenticeship tracks from Studio One, Creation Rebel, which shows that his thing was damn-near together on day-one. And speaking of Studio One, I should put in a word for Clement "Coxsone" Dodd, the guy who mentored Bob, Lee Perry, Winston Rodney and soooo many other early reggae-ers.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 15
I think it's pretty difficult to state who was the most influential because in music it seems that people stand on the shoulders of those who came before them. One name that I do think can be mentioned along with the names already mentioned is Prince Buster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back