Most "important" British band since the Beatles?
Oct 20, 2002 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
This thread is for all American Anglophiles and for our British members...

My vote goes to The Smiths and Morrissey.

There are many contenders in this category. What do you think?

Mark

Oct 20, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 93
Awesome choice, and one of my all-time favorite bands!!! But maybe too obscure to have the kind of cultural/political impact that may be required here.

The Beatles is big shoes to fill...

Mark

Oct 20, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 93
actually, i think the sex pistols are the most important band after the Beatles. i don't like the pistols that much, but i do think they had the most influence.

oh, and like the smiths and morrissey aren't obscure?
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 93
the clash
if by "important" you mean influencial.

u2
ireland counts, right? especially in the 80's and 90's u2 seemed to get copied a lot.

even though they are contemporaries of the beatles, i would include the who, the stones, clapton, pink floyd--bands i suppose would count considering they outlasted the beatles by years.

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 93
In terms of influence (well, and how much I like them) I'd say Zeppelin and the Clash. You can take almost any quality rock act in the last twenty years and they'll cite either or both as an influence.

And I hardly think U2 would like to be called British. ...

kerely

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 93
Ireland is part of Britain and U2 are most certainly British,

What about Oasis?

Mark

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 93
OASIS OASIS OASIS OASIS OASIS OASIS

biggrin.gif

But yeah, i think the Stones and Led Zeppelin are in the top five, if there is such a list.

Judas Priest anyone? or wait....

IRON MAIDEN!

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 93
U2 is certainly NOT British. Only Northern Ireland is British and under British rule. South Ireland, where Dublin is and where U2 originated is NOT under British rule. A statement like that....would....would...

oh hell, it is just too horrible to have appear in the printed word. Suffice to say, no they are not British, never were British, and I guarantee will never ever BE British.

That said, I believe, the Stones are the biggest influence over rock since the Beatles, even though I would love to say U2. U2 is the biggest band still pumping out albums I would say, but the Stones, with their history would be number 2 in my mind next to the Beatles, and they are definitively British, proud of it and part of the original British Invasion.

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 93
Zanth,
You must be authentically British. From the point of view of us ignorant Americans, U2 is indistinguishable from the Police or the Rolling Stones, or Van Morrison, or Oasis. Thanks for setting us straight!

Wait a minute-- it says you're from Canada! So, what do you know...
tongue.gif

Mark

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 93
Besides U2 being my favourite band...let's see....

although born in Canada, my maternal Grandmother was born in London to a certain English doctor who happened to be one of 4 private physicians for the Royal Family. My paternal Grandmother was born in Dublin to a Catholic banker who lived most of his life in Northern Protestant Ireland. All of my grandparents met their respective spouses in Europe during WWII and immigrated to Canada. So markl, I know because of my heritage. I know because my grandmothers despise each other. I know because the "true" Irsih (as the Southerners would say) hate the British. It may be all apples to you Americans...but in Canada it is apples and oranges, being closely aligned with the UK still, and being of direct decent from the Irish and the British, I feel I have some grounding and qualifications to point it all out...you know, for the good of the members here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #14 of 93
i think the sex pistols were the elvis of punk rock: they brought a new musical form to the masses in a way that no other band did. probably because they were the most notorious.
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 93
Zanth...
He he. My own heritage, as a typical American "mongrel" is divided equally between the Irish, and the Scotts. Therefore, I know from being held down by the English!!!
wink.gif

That said, it's all in the past, and of little affect on me except as a historical/familial curiosity.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back