Most fun headphones you've ever heard...
Aug 1, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #61 of 86
How do the Pro 900i's compare to the Purpleheart, in terms of sound?

I gave both headphones away a while ago so comparing from memory; the Pro 900 has a more balanced sound signature compared to the Purpleheart, but the Pro 900 is fast/very energetic and has more thump in the bass (I suppose the Pro 900 is kinda like a cheaper version of the P9 Signature,- similar sound signature but the P9 Signature is of a much higher level of sound quality and has exceptional clarity particularly in the high frequencies). I consider the Purpleheart to be a basshead headphone, the only other headphone i've heard that beats it for quantity of bass is the JVC HA-SZ2000, this is ultimately the reason why I gave the Purpleheart away, - all that bass ruins the mid's and high's of it, imo.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #63 of 86
I'd probably have to say the Beyerdynamic DT1770. Boosted bass, but very fast and articulate. Treble is definitely up in level, but relatively even. Mids are nice and flat. It all adds up to a really fun listen, even at lower volume levels. It's really hard to find a headphone that's fun at low volume IMO.

Based purely on fun, the Z1R comes close, but falls just short because the treble can be somewhat uneven.

I've spent a lot of my time (years) looking for fun cans for all the EDM I enjoy listening to.

Agree with you @Kukuk, the DT1770 are very fun sounding, with their V shape signature, taut bass and excellent dynamics. I find most Ultrasone headphones to be very fun for the same reasons, my particular favorite being their performance 880's with velour pads.

For open, I think the HD58X do quite well as a fun can, especially at their stupid cheap price. Not the best thing ever, but they do a whole lot right and have good bass impact and treble sparkle as well. For IEM, my favorite for fun sound has always been the Yamaha EPH-100.

Basically for me, fun sound is a taut and punchy impactful bass paired with energetic treble. The balance is important between those two components. Too much treble is never fun, nor is too much overwhelming bass. I also think quality imaging helps a lot to make a headphone more fun - when you get sounds shooting around the soundstage in different locations and the headphone can separate those components out well in the stage.

Luckily for "fun" sound you don't need to spend gobs of money. In fact, it seemed to me that the more fun headphones exist in mid-fi territory. Spending a lot of money generally translates into more analytical or reference sounding gear, which isn't the most fun.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #64 of 86
I've spent a lot of my time (years) looking for fun cans for all the EDM I enjoy listening to.

Agree with you @Kukuk, the DT1770 are very fun sounding, with their V shape signature, taut bass and excellent dynamics. I find most Ultrasone headphones to be very fun for the same reasons, my particular favorite being their performance 880's with velour pads.

For open, I think the HD58X do quite well as a fun can, especially at their stupid cheap price. Not the best thing ever, but they do a whole lot right and have good bass impact and treble sparkle as well. For IEM, my favorite for fun sound has always been the Yamaha EPH-100.

Basically for me, fun sound is a taut and punchy impactful bass paired with energetic treble. The balance is important between those two components. Too much treble is never fun, nor is too much overwhelming bass. I also think quality imaging helps a lot to make a headphone more fun - when you get sounds shooting around the soundstage in different locations and the headphone can separate those components out well in the stage.

Luckily for "fun" sound you don't need to spend gobs of money. In fact, it seemed to me that the more fun headphones exist in mid-fi territory. Spending a lot of money generally translates into more analytical or reference sounding gear, which isn't the most fun.
I gotta say the empys that I just bought are ridiculous with edm. Very strong bass.

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #65 of 86
Sony MDR-Z7, a big "F You" to the political audiophilical correctness. :o2smile:

Jun 11, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #66 of 86

I agree, the DT 1770 PRO is a good headphone for dance music.

Like you, I'm a huge fan of a v-shaped signature. However, I prefer a more prominent bass presence. For example, my absolute favorite can for dance music is the Fostex TH900 Mk2; that thunderous bass is really something else.

Frankly, the "fun" signature is my default when I am on the hunt for headphones or IEMs. I could only ever enjoy headphones with a distinctly colored signature.

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #67 of 86
I agree, the DT 1770 PRO is a good headphone for dance music.

Like you, I'm a huge fan of a v-shaped signature. However, I prefer a more prominent bass presence. For example, my absolute favorite can for dance music is the Fostex TH900 Mk2; that thunderous bass is really something else.

Frankly, the "fun" signature is my default when I am on the hunt for headphones or IEMs. I could only ever enjoy headphones with a distinctly colored signature.

It's interesting you mention the TH900s. I actually had a pair shortly before owning this 1770, and to my ears, the 1770 have more bass and impact. Everybody talks about the TH900 and it's bass, for some reason I just didn't find it had the type of punch I enjoy. I agree the extension in the bass is excellent, but I just didn't find them to be bass cannons as some claim. They did have a lot of treble though for me, which I didn't particularly like.

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #68 of 86
For me it has been my Focal Clears the rest are collecting dust except when late at night and I don't want to wake up the wife then the ATH M50X gets used.

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #70 of 86
It's interesting you mention the TH900s. I actually had a pair shortly before owning this 1770, and to my ears, the 1770 have more bass and impact. Everybody talks about the TH900 and it's bass, for some reason I just didn't find it had the type of punch I enjoy. I agree the extension in the bass is excellent, but I just didn't find them to be bass cannons as some claim. They did have a lot of treble though for me, which I didn't particularly like.
Mmm, that's interesting. I found the bass on the DT 1770 PRO to be punchy, with quick decay, but definitely less prominent than the TH900's bass presentation, which came with a lot of slam, has a slower decay, but a lot more rumble. To compound things, I found the DT 1770 PRO to be a brighter headphone.

This is anecdotal proof that graphs tell only one side of the story; it appears that head time is the other part of the equation, since people hear things differently, for a variety of reasons (e.g. fit, pads used).

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #71 of 86

Just curious. Have you heard Argons?

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #73 of 86
Audeze Mobius most fun I had lately...

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #74 of 86
So I know its not really "fun" as its somewhat neutral uneq'd, but Denon AH-D5200 with shelf EQ around 70hz is super enjoyable and "fun" for electronic stuff, more so than my M1060C which also does electronic pretty well

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #75 of 86
So I know its not really "fun" as its somewhat neutral uneq'd, but Denon AH-D5200 with shelf EQ around 70hz is super enjoyable and "fun" for electronic stuff, more so than my M1060C which also does electronic pretty well
Honestly, every Denon headphone that I've heard from the past 10 years has been "fun". They have never prided themselves on producing the cleanest, most technically-adept headphones. However, if you want a thoroughly enjoyable listening experience, coupled with some really good bass, choosing a Denon is always a safe choice, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back