Most dangerous music on the road?
Nov 28, 2002 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had to ban several CDs from my vehicles. They are the kind of music that, for whatever reason, provokes a primal response that has me braking late in every turn, using all available tarmac to flatten the apex, leaning into the throttle as the steering wheel begins to unwind and hanging the tail of the car out while the engine wails toward redline, bringing it in just in time for a fast clutch and quick shift to third, stand on the throttle and glance in the rvm for the police as the speedo hits 3 digits...
You get the idea. Some music just seems to open the adrenalin valve and testosterone valve all the way at the same time if it is in the car with me. Scenery just can't go by fast enough when it happens. (I consider other cars part of the scenery at this point).

I am betting that this has happened to others from time to time. So what was the music? I am looking for the stuff that will provoke the response nearly every time. Oh, and you guys within spitting distance of 20 have less credibility in this one. When I was that age the above described pretty much any music. Probably why I got better at driving than dancing, now that I think of it...

Number one on my list is:
The Extremist by Joe Satriani. That CD now has a scull and crossbones stamped on it.

Moving Pictures by Rush is probably second

This evening I found that Bat out of Hell by Jim Steinman now has to be banned. Terrible recording, but inspiring music. I know I know, Meatloaf was the talented vocalist on this album, but Jim wrote the music, and he deserves much of the credit.

So, what tunes connect straight to your throttle foot?

gerG

Nov 28, 2002 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 30
CDs with police car sirens in them. Like Daft Punk's Homework. This doesn't really make me throttle up, but it makes me dangerous on the road because:

1. It desensitizes me to real sirens.

2. It makes me **** myself (and the ensueing madness that that can cause).

Nov 28, 2002 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
CDs with police car sirens in them. Like Daft Punk's Homework.

LOL! Lobster, just a week or two ago, we were driving with this CD playing, and we actually started to pull over, looking around for the police car/fire truck
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 30
I Just Want To Make Love To You -- Foghat The intro to this one will get you going.

Amphetamine Annie -- Canned Heat

Nov 29, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Panama, Van Halen

I've always been afraid that I'd find myself explaining to an officer one day, "I'm sorry... you see Panama was on the radio and I..." I must drive at least 10mph faster when that song is on.

I listen to talk radio in the car a lot these days. I find people flashing their lights at me to drive faster. I guess I'm old.

Nov 29, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 30
I hate music with sirens in it -- especially distant, background sirens. Freaks me the **** out. I don't have a car that can outrun a Crown Vic.

"Radar Love" has to be the ultimate song in this category, but there are lots of others that seem to work for me. Motley Crue does it a lot -- "Dr. Feelgood" comes to mind. AC/DC's "Shoot to Thrill," Led Zeppelin's "Rock & Roll," Jane's Addiction's "Been Caugh Stealing" -- yeah, okay, so lots. But they all are most effective when they're on the radio so you don't know they're coming.

kerely

Nov 29, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 30
Slayer brings out the worst of my driving, it probably has something to do with the fast aggresive drumming and evil lyrics. I try not to play it in the car, but sometimes the evil tape just finds its way into the player somehow and I become a road raging maniac. On the flip side I try not to put soft stuff like Sarah McLachlan on, it's just so nice and soothing and before I know it I'm dropping off to sleep.

Nov 29, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 30
When I hear Crazy Train, I just love to throw the li'l grocery getter around on the corners.

lol->

<kelly (part 1)>

Quote:

I've always been afraid that I'd find myself explaining to an officer one day, "I'm sorry... you see Panama was on the radio and I..."

<kelly (part 2?)>

"... I just started to reach down... between my legs, and e..."

<cop>
"That's it, mister. You're under arrest!"

Nov 30, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 30
how about that ludacris song "move bitch" I think that song basically forces and driver to want to go about 100mph and causes serious road rage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back