Most compact + powerful 2.0 speakers under $150?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by dylansmith, Jan 7, 2018.
Page 1 of 2
Next

Last
  1. dylansmith
    My Altec Lansing ATP3 of 16 years have finally passed on. I am now looking out for a space-saving solution that has the following characteristics:

- Min 10W per driver
    - space saving - either 2.0 or soundbar style
    - equivalent to or better than my ATP3 (bought it at USD50 last time and the SQ was amazing!)
    - max $150, preferably if under $80
    - value for money

Keep the recommendations coming!

2. PurpleAngel Contributor
    PJABBER likes this.
  3. dylansmith
    Hello,

sorry i forgot to add that I typically use it at <40% volume level, hence if it is too powerful, it might go to waste as well. is there a more compact version that I can look for? also open to try China brands too.

4. PurpleAngel Contributor
    For your budget, I your not going to get better audio quality then the Monoprice 5" studio monitors.
    The Monoprice units are basically relabeled M-Audio BX5a studio monitors, which use to sell for $250 (the BX5a).

5. dylansmith
    will this also work on the integrated card on my MSI Z170A Gaming motherboard?

also, what will be 1 tier lower (and cheaper) than the current recommendation ?

6. PurpleAngel Contributor
    The Monoprice 5" units could be connected to motherboard's on-board (intergated card) audio or add-on sound card or external DACs or even use the output jack from a smartphone or portable audio player.
    Not sure what would be considered just one tier lower.

7. PJABBER
    The Monoprice relabeled M-Audio BX5a PurpleAngel recommends is indeed a super bargain for a very good pair of powered monitors.

If you feed them a clean signal you will get a fairly flat (accurate) response. These are meant to be accurate, not boomy or accentuated, so it will take a little while for your ears to become accustomed to that. Tuning them to your room using a mic and easily available software like REW will really make your sound shine.

As they are powered monitors, you don't need a separate amp. Just plug them into your computer motherboard's or sound card's Line Out.

You will need a special cable due to the type of connectors on the monitor pair. Something like a 1/8in TRS Male (Stereo) to Two 1/4in TS Male (Mono) cable. This is simply a Y-Cable (stereo mini (1/8") male to 2 mono 1/4" males) splitting the stereo mini (1/8") signal into left and right.

Make sure that the length will reach both monitors from your PC, usually a 6 or 10 ft. cable will do. You can order these online or find them at any decent music equipment store. Here is one carried by Full Compass - Hosa CMP-159

There are a large number of powered monitors and media speakers out there, but for the money the Monoprice option is the one to beat - Music Radar 23 Affordable Monitors

8. antdroid
    I got Kanto Yu2 for $150. They are small but packs a lot of power. They are very similar to AudioEngines.

9. Naguall
    I replaced my Audioengine a2, due to a ripped speaker, by the Edifier R1100 monitors ($60/70 in the North). If the highs of the Audioengine are better, the lows lose ugly to those of the Edifier. The midrange are equivalent. So, I don´t miss my old, and much more expensive, speakers.

10. ProtegeManiac Contributor
  11. PJABBER
    I just got an email from Fluance that they have released a new powered speaker that looks very interesting. I happen to like Fluance speakers, they have very good build quality at agressive price points.

http://www.fluance.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=ai40

Fluance has a special introductory offer for a very limited quantity if you are willing to offer them some feedback. They will refund 50% off the purchase price for filling out a product survey.

(Note: This offer is really for a very small number of shipped units and I notice that some colors are already out of stock. You might want to call them rather than buy online to be sure you can get in on this deal - 1-888-617-6863)

How it works:

Purchase the speakers at retail price $199USD (Shipping is free)
    Fill out the product survey that Fluance will send you 7 days after purchase
    50% of the purchase price is credited back to you after survey is received and processed and your final price is $99USD
    Please allow 24 hours for processing.

SPEAKER CONFIGURATION 2 Way – 2 Driver Bookshelf Speaker System with Integrated Amplifier (Pair)
    BLUETOOTH Yes; aptX Codec
    INPUTS RCA L/R
    TWEETER 1 inch Silk Soft Dome Ferrofluid Cooled
    WOOFER 5 inch Woven Glass Fiber Composite Drivers with Butyl Rubber Surrounds
    AMPLIFIER POWER Class D 70 Watts Continuous Average Output (2x 35 watts)
    POWER HANDLING 40Hz – 20 KHz
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE 40Hz – 20KHz (DSP Virtual Sound Perceived by Ear)
    INTERNAL LEAD WIRE 18 gauge Internal Lead Wire to Reduce Signal Degradation
    POWER Input: 100-240V; Output: 19V 3.15A
    ENCLOSURE Acoustic Suspension Design
    DIMENSIONS 10.9 x 6.5 x 7.6 inch
    SPEAKER WEIGHT 15.1 lbs
    SPEAKER TYPE Bookshelf
    WHAT'S INCLUDED
    • Fluance Ai40 Active Bookshelf
    • Speakers (pair)
    • Remote Control
    • 2x AAA Batteries
    • 100-240V Power Adapter
    • 8ft 18 Gauge Speaker Wire
    • 3ft 3.5mm Aux to RCA Cable
    • Quick Start Guide
    • Fluance Catalog
    • Lifetime Customer Support
    • 2 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  12. luberconn
    i recently sold my Edifier r1280t powered speakers. i thought they were very impressive for their size. i have since upgraded to some Polk S15 passive speakers with a receiver/subwoofer combo. They are around $89 - 99.[​IMG]

13. dylansmith
    just realised the Monoprice is 110v only. Is there any other option that supports 230v? Wouldn't want to use a transformer as it is too troublesome.

The Edifier R1280T is available in 230v, but how does it compare against the MonoPrice / M-Audio BX5A?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500#specificationsTab

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  14. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    Drivers are smaller and also cheaper, so you have less of an extension into the low end. As long as the port or box tuning or driver performance isn't otherwise forced to do too much beyond the physics of this, you can still otherwise get decent sound throughout the rest of the range.

15. dylansmith
    What will be the matching Edifier model that is comparable to the Monoprice? R1600TIII?

Also, just curious whether the RMS ratings consistent across speaker brands and can it be trusted? Otherwise , anything else on the spec sheet can I look at if I can't test in person ?

Page 1 of 2
Next

Last