Most commonly used amp/dac around $40-70?
Feb 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Roderick

Headphoneus Supremus
I like trying out inexpensive headphones. My current system is bit of an overkill for headphones that cost about $50. I wan't to know what those headphones sound when paired with gear more suited to their price. So what is the amp/dac people are most likely to have as their entry level setup?  I was thinking about fiio e10 but maybe there is something cheaper and more portable that is better liked?

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm currently using the Fiio E10K paired with Superlux HD668Bs.  These are some budget headphones, but their sound quality is well above their price bracket. Going from onboard to E10k there was an improvement, nothing monumental, but it was noticeable.  Songs became more clear, and loud.  When watching youtube videos done by amateur/professionals, you can really distinguish what type of room the recording was done in and I wasn't able to do that with onboard.  I am eventually going to buy a much nicer pair of headphones, but in the meantime, its an excellent fix.

The Fiio E10K also greatly improved my crappy Logitech Z313 speakers, which will also be upgraded very shortly.

As far as an alternative to the E10k, the SMSL SD793-II is supposedly even better because it is not USB powered, but plugged into an outlet.  It is not portable though.

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 21
I just realized I can't use e10k with my htc desire z because it doesn't output audio through usb. And even if it did the connection is so loose that the cable would come off constantly. I have still not given up e10k but I'd like something I can use with my phone so it would have some actual use instead of being used only for experementing with budget headphones. Fiio e07k would be perfect but it is too expensive.

Maybe I just get topping nx1 and hope that dac on my phone doesn't become a bottleneck? It sounds decent, better than my laptop and more balanced than my dektops soundcard. Allthough I'm not sure if the grainy shrill sound of soundcard is coming from bad dac or crappy amplifying.

Is it worth investing in fiio e11k over topping nx1? It is quite a bit more expensive. Or is there any change I could get an portable amp/dac for $70 that can be connected to my phone with 3,5mm and to my pc with usb?  

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 21
I think I'll go with topping nx1. I might also get fiio e6 for reference purposes because it is more commonly used than topping. And maybe I'll add some cheap dac in the mix just in case my soundcard is causing problems. Maybe something by muse... Still If anyone has more recommendations I'm always open for suggestions :)

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 21
I pulled a trigger on topping nx1.
Quote:
"Reference purposes?" Why not just get the E11K then?

I thought about it, but it turned out that e11k is twice the price for me. Fiio likes to rip off europeans. It would have been a viable option even for the double the price if those were evenly mathced but it seems that topping is clearly superior amp. I will propably get fiio e6 later just because it is so popular, over 800 reviews on amazon.... Topping is not that well known so fiio e6 will be a better reference point. Of course as a reference fiios would have made more sence but since I don't have a portable amp I wen't with the one that offers more for the money.
I would rather have one good amp than 2 cheap amps and a cheap DAC.

Definately... But I wasn't looking for the best bang for the buck option. Just for a general reference amp at this price point. But also something that could have been use for me as a portable amp driving mikros 90. My desktop setup is done with spl phonitor + beyerdynamic t1 and jvc dx1000.

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 21
the SMSL SD793-II is supposedly even better because it is not USB powered, but plugged into an outlet

I use the SD793-II with Toslink (optical) input, fed by my computer's optical out; it drives a pair of NVX Audio XPT100 headphones (64 Ohms).
At lower volume, the two headphone channels are not equally loud; this quickly disappears as normal listening level is reached, but if I turn it down (which I rarely do), the difference is very noticeable.
A very faint background hiss is audible when no music is playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back