Most Comfortable High End Headphone
Jun 2, 2014 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

kokushu

100+ Head-Fier
I have always consider the HD 800 as the most comfortable headphone of the high end choices, but now I even find it too be to discomfort and rather listen to speaker.  I still need to use headphone sometime to not disturb the neighbor; so what is the best option that you guys have find with high end headphone?

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 30
I don't find the 800s to be uncomfortable, anymore at least. But I definitely don't think they are even close to the most comfortable. I think that honor goes to the Sr-009s. That suspsension headband is killer

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 30
  Considering the weight of planar magnetic offerings (Audeze, Abyss) you will have a really hard time to find anything more comfortable than the HD800.

The weight part is not a big issue. I wouldn't call HD800 more comfortable than LCD-3.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 30

The weight part is not a big issue. I wouldn't call HD800 more comfortable than LCD-3.

If you've no issue with the weight I could see that, but I think overall most would definitely call the HD800 more comfortable than the 3.

I find the HD800 extremely comfortable myself, but I've seen lots of reports from people who didn't find it so also.

The Oppo PM-1 is extremely comfortable from the time I spent with it at the meet here a week or so ago. The new HE-560 with the suspension headband may also be worth a look. I've pretty much heard only good things about the SR009 in terms of comfort, if the budget extends that far (and beyond to an amp for them) then that'd be pretty hard to pass up from my point of view.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 30
I find the LCD-X's to be very comfortable in spite of its weight.  But there is no denying that the LCD's are heavy.

I hate to say this, but have you thought about going with a custom high end in ear monitor?  From a comfort and isolation perspective, they are in a higher and different league.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 30
I've had a lot of high end headphones, but the most confortable is, no doubt, the HD800...

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 30
I've had a lot of high end headphones, but the most confortable is, no doubt, the HD800...

You don't find the SR-009 just as comfortable?  I find the head clamp pressure of the HD800 a bit much.  Weight wise, the SR 009 is around 1lb and HD800 at .73 pounds so not a lot of difference.  I like the padded earpads and headband on the SR009 a lot more than the hd800.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 30
Most of the time is that my ear get overheat from the headphone.  My LCD 2 and Fostex TH 900 is a major problem with causing my ear to overheat.  The HD 800 doesn't have that problem as much.  Although as light as the HD 800 is I still feel it over a long listening period.  I think most people don't have this problem because they would use they headphone for an hour.  Unfortunately I use it for 3 to 4 hours straight.  

Anyway the stax 009 is out of the question because I have to get an amp that is only usable with electrostatic headphone.  I heard the dt 770 is really comfortable too but if I have problem with hd 800 I still should have problem with the dt 770 right?  Anyway I still listen mostly to my kef ls50 but would love to have a good comfortable headphone to use.  

I remember custom iem wasn't that bad either.  I have the JH 16 pro but its doesn't fit my ear anymore.  So I can't really compare but I think that might be the best option.  Even thought having that in my ear for 4 hours straight probably not that good either. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 30
Most of the time is that my ear get overheat from the headphone.  My LCD 2 and Fostex TH 900 is a major problem with causing my ear to overheat.  The HD 800 doesn't have that problem as much.  Although as light as the HD 800 is I still feel it over a long listening period.  I think most people don't have this problem because they would use they headphone for an hour.  Unfortunately I use it for 3 to 4 hours straight.  

Anyway the stax 009 is out of the question because I have to get an amp that is only usable with electrostatic headphone.  I heard the dt 770 is really comfortable too but if I have problem with hd 800 I still should have problem with the dt 770 right?  Anyway I still listen mostly to my kef ls50 but would love to have a good comfortable headphone to use.  

I remember custom iem wasn't that bad either.  I have the JH 16 pro but its doesn't fit my ear anymore.  So I can't really compare but I think that might be the best option.  Even thought having that in my ear for 4 hours straight probably not that good either. 

I believe JH will redo the shell if you are original order. Otherwise there are several third parties that will do it. Should be the cheapest option and good place to start and use as benchmark. Although iem can't match the soundstage of full size.

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 30
As a curveball: while I also found the HD800 to be impressive from a comfort perspective, if ortho weight is not an issue, you might want to check out the HE-6 with Audeze vegan pads and a headband pad. Incredibly comfortable (feels like a comfy pillow) and terrific sound. I found that I actually prefer the much less comfortable stock velours sound-wise, but from reading through the HE-6 threads, it would seem I'm in the minority on that opinion (I apparently dig treble more that most people).

So HE-6 with Audeze velours and headband pad: pretty damn great, and some people would say among the very best sound available at any pricepoint. Worth a look if you want summit-fi sound and comfort to match! :)

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #14 of 30
You don't find the SR-009 just as comfortable?  I find the head clamp pressure of the HD800 a bit much.  Weight wise, the SR 009 is around 1lb and HD800 at .73 pounds so not a lot of difference.  I like the padded earpads and headband on the SR009 a lot more than the hd800.

I feel very little clamp when I have HD800s on. It feels like an extension of my head, not something I'm wearing, something about the large surface area spreading the pressure. Quite comfortable. I'd say >25% less weight is significant. SR009s are not bad comfort-wise, but they are certainly a step or two behind HD800s. With the suspension headband adjusted correctly I still feel a lot of unbalanced pressure on the bottoms of the cups pressing on my upper neck. I'm sensitive to this pressure in that it causes massive ear aches after just 30-60 minutes. This is one reason I don't use my HD600s much anymore because they share this pressure point. It must be pressing on a nerve or something.

I regularly use HD800s for 8-10 hours at a time, with minimal breaks (bathroom/food/talking to people/etc) and find at the end of the night, I'm not tired of wearing them. Similarly, I can wear my UERM customs for just as long with no ill effects. I regularly use them while driving long distances to block road noise and keep music volume down and music quality as high as can be expected under such conditions. I've become so used to doing this that now if I forget to bring them on a trip of even an hour, I'll have a headache from the road noise by the time I get to my destination.

The only headphone I've found so far that trumps the HD800 in comfort is the Sony MA900, but while it is a good sounding headphone, it's decidedly mid-fi, incapable of the detail and texture associated with high end. It truly feels like you are wearing nothing, though. An interesting experience for sure.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 30
If you've no issue with the weight I could see that, but I think overall most would definitely call the HD800 more comfortable than the 3.

I find the HD800 extremely comfortable myself, but I've seen lots of reports from people who didn't find it so also.

The Oppo PM-1 is extremely comfortable from the time I spent with it at the meet here a week or so ago. The new HE-560 with the suspension headband may also be worth a look. I've pretty much heard only good things about the SR 009 in terms of comfort, if the budget extends that far (and beyond to an amp for them) then that'd be pretty hard to pass up from my point of view.

I don't post much here, but generalizing Oppo PM-1 as extremely comfortable gets my blood boiling. Tiny mushy ear cushions, narrow headband, as bad as bumpy K701, for the weight of the headphones. From headphones I had the honor to listen on multiple time the most comfortable #1 Stax SR 009, HD800, Fostex TH 900, HD 650. Even Edition8 feels better on my head then PM-1.
One that I have no chance of trying and could top 009 in comfort is edition5 with its big ear pads and light weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back