Most Comfortable Headphones?
Jul 31, 2008 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

episteme

New Head-Fier
Hello Everybody!
("Hi Doctor Nick!")

Just wondering, what would you guys say are the most comfortable headphones? I got a pair of ATH-SQ5s the other day and now I can't wear'em for more than half an hour without having to take them off every few minutes. Could be something to do with the fact that I have a gigantic head...

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 18
In my opinion the Stax SR-007 are the most comfortable headphone out there. Soft earpads, low clamping force, weight distributed through the entire headband, ...
I can wear mine for multiple hours without any discomfort.
smily_headphones1.gif

img0131nf1.jpg

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 18
I can seemingly wear my SA5000 and R10 forever. My room temperature is usually around 65*F, helps my PC and head cool.

I feel asleep (all night) with both on different occasions. I listen on low volume mostly though.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 18
Without a doubt, the AKG K81 DJs!

JUST KIDDING!

Actually the K81 DJs are the most UNcomfortable headphones I have ever had the misfortune of owning. If you are looking for comfort, be certain to steer clear of these puppies!

On a more serious note:

Out of the several dozens of headphones I have owned over the years (check my profile), the Denon D2000/D5000s are by far the most comfy.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 18
Brand-new Grado SR325is with new bowls.
biggrin.gif

Just kidding, those hurt even MY ears.

I found the K701s very comfortable the small amount of time I had with them.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 18
I found the ATH AD900's the most comfortable phones I've worn. Other than that, all open AKG's are pretty comfy.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 18
While I was in Japan the previous 2 weeks, I passed by Yodobashi Camera in the Akihabara area in Tokyo. For demoing they had a bunch of Audio Technica and JVC-Victor with some Beyers, Denons, Ultrasones, AKGs, Sennheisers, and Grados. Of all the 30+ headphones I had on my head in that 1 store, The Denon's were the most comfortable.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 18
Cant wait to get my K601's
smily_headphones1.gif
Im sure they will be up there for comfort!! Im wierd and all but i find my RS-2's great for comfort. Maybe because i have a small head as such!

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the K81 DJs are the most UNcomfortable headphones I have ever had the misfortune of owning. If you are looking for comfort, be certain to steer clear of these puppies!

x2 Wearing these for more than an hour will result in a concussion.

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 18
I find the HD595s to be very comfy.

That said, I'm slowly getting used to the bowls (and breaking them in) on my new SR225s. Not as bad as I was led to believe (but I wouldn't call them comfortable).

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser HD-580/-600/-650 are amongst the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. One forgets they are even there on the head.

After they settle in. Initially they kinda clamp pretty tight.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #15 of 18
Stax SR-007 MkII is a candidate. A bit tricky to get the right fit initially, and if you wear glasses, forget it. But, once you settle in, then it's very nice and comfortable.

Stax SR-404 is also up there, less picky about initial fit, but with thinner earpads, which makes the inner foam rub against your ears. Still, almost as comfortable as it gets.

But, the real winner is the Beyerdynamic DT770. Nothing I've tried yet has topped it. I wear it for hours and hours as my PC headphone. I don't think I could do that comfortably with anything else in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back