Most comfortable headphones that dont need an amp?
Jul 3, 2008 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tmoth

New Head-Fier
Im looking for opinions on a good set of headphones that are the most comfortable to use for long periods of time and can sound good without an amp. I know an amp will improve most anything and maybe Ill pick one up later, but not now. I have a set of Grado 60s right now and enjoy the sound, but they hurt my ears. For use with an ipod mainly - listen to techno/trance (enjoy vocal trance), rock, r&b/rap, with some of everything else thrown in every now and then (jazz, lounge, etc.) Open/closed doesnt matter and budget is say $200 or less. What do you suggest?

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 18
Denon D2000 would be my pick, or a good set of IEMs.

I'm not a big fan of Grados though, and a lot of people will probably recommend them.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados ARE NOT comfortable.

confused.gif

I assume you've tried washing the pads with soap and water? I think they're comfortable after that. Sorry they didn't work out for you.

For headphones that don't need an amp, you might want to consider the Sony MDR-V6. They don't get a lot of love around here, but they're widely used for professional and studio applications. I owned a pair for years (before finding this place
eek.gif
) and loved 'em. You might be able to turn up a pair at a local electronics store and give them a listen before you buy. And they are comfy. I've worn them for hours on end.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 18
Beyer DT770's were incredibly comfortable. My desktop and laptop computer had no issues driving them either. They are closed back headphones. They can be had for $130 brand new on eBay.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many say the F1, but I'm going to go with the pillow-like CD780. Both out of production.

i have a set of the cd-280. pretty comfy, but can get warm. was the 780 better? there is a set of 780's on ebay
smily_headphones1.gif

this thread has inspired me to bust BOTH out of deep sleep, and give em a week of head-time. I suspect more play for the F1. the F1 sounds GOOOOOD from a big amp.

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #13 of 18
Sennheiser PX100.
What else !

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #14 of 18
For headphones:
Ultrasone Pro 750
If you're looking for an inexpensive ($40) amp (to get you by until you can afford a better one), that has a nice sound (especially when you consider the inexpensive price), check out the Behringer Amp 800:

Behringer | AMP800 - MINIAMP Compact 4-Channel | MINI AMP AMP800

Good luck in finding your headphones.

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD595 are very comfortable and can be worn for eight hours strait without notice.

++ They sound very good out of an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back