Most comfortable for lying on my side?
Apr 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mummer

New Head-Fier
I seek headphones/earbuds specifically for listening to binaural beats and relaxation programs while lying in bed, which will inevitably include lying on my side, head on a pillow. Would you be so kind as to suggest some models with this specific attribute? My budget is flexible and sound quality should be decent, but does not need to be high end audiophile, although it that is what also is most comfortable for my purposes, that's great. Thank you so much for any help.

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
I seek headphones/earbuds specifically for listening to binaural beats and relaxation programs while lying in bed, which will inevitably include lying on my side, head on a pillow. Would you be so kind as to suggest some models with this specific attribute? My budget is flexible and sound quality should be decent, but does not need to be high end audiophile, although it that is what also is most comfortable for my purposes, that's great. Thank you so much for any help.

We still need to know this flexible budget range.  Otherwise, I'll end recommending a 1200 dollar custom-fit IEM :p 

I'd keep my eye on any of the following brands (models):
  1. Shure (All)
  2. Westone (All)
  3. Ultimate Ears by Logitech (UE 900, UE 500 - Over ear insertion)
  4. HiFIMan (RE-400, RE-600 - To be released)
  5. Heir Audio (All)
  6. Phonak Audèo (All)

I'm sure I'm missing a few.  Look for something that has an ergonomic shape and is worn over the ear rather than straight down. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 10
Shure SE215, Phonak PFE1xx, Phonak PFE0xx, Heir Audio 3.Ai, Heir Audio 4.Ai, Ultimate Ears UE 900, Westone 4(R), Westone 3, HiFiMan RE400, Etymotic, Aurisonics ASG-1...  I think that's all I can come up with.  Now we need to know what kind of sound you are going after (be specific :p).

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 10
I really like VSonic GR06/GR07 or NVX ex10s for this. Their design is such that they don't really stick out. I have very sensitive ears and used to fall asleep with my Sony MDR-V6 headphones on and I would wake up regretting it. I now fall asleep all the time with my VSonic earbuds in and I've never had any comfort issues. Avoid armature earbuds.

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 10
All of the current Shure SE series have the same shell design, and do not protrude from the ear.  You can pick the level of SQ based on your budget and still be assured of a good flush fitting IEM.  I use my SE215's constantly, and regularly fall asleep with them in...at home, in bed, on planes/trains.  In my opinion the most comfortable option I have found.

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 10
Not sure whether you're intending to sleep with them but if you are removable cables would be a good idea as pillows seem to do a good job of breaking cables. 

Comfort/size wise of the IEMs I've ownded I'd say Phonak PFE 0xx or 1xx, Heir Tzar 90, HiFiMan RE-262, VSonic R04pro and Sony MH1C would work, but not Aurisonics ASG1.3 as they are more chunky and stuck out of my ears a bit.  TF10 and JVX FXZ200 stick out lots by design, and the Klipsch X10 cable comes straight out asking to be broken, so these should be avoided at all costs.

Currently I sleep in a pair of Ultrasone Pro750 full size cans as they have a removable cable (which after six months is still going strong) and they're big enough to be comfortable to lie on, but you can't roll onto your side without lifting your head so if you do that while sleeping best you stick to IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back