Most comfortable closed back headphones for 6-8+ hours daily use
Jan 17, 2014 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

willgao

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Im looking for a closed back full size headphone for daily use 6-8 hours

I use it mostly at the office so prefer a close back headphone, avoid disturbing others...And since for such long term listening I put comfort and light weight first. velour pad or fiber pad would be the better opinion. I don't really like leather ones, get too hot after a few hours. 

Price range is around $250 USD.

The Sony MDR MA900 seems a very comfortable full size headphone, and it's super light weight(190g). However, its full open back design may be a problem when listening in the office. too bad...

DT770 has good reviews but they weight 270g...I use to have a HD595 (270g) and get headache after 1-2 hours..so it may has the same problem

AKG K 701 is a light weight (230g) and velour pad comfortable headphone...also Im not sure about the sound leakage, would that be a lot? compare to the ma900

If momentum has replaceable velour pads (and bigger size of cause!! ) would be prefect ...but they don't!

I know I'm kinda picky...but it would be great to have your guys' opinions!!!

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 16
Yeah I was considering this one too. are the pads replaceable? So I can get velour pads from ebay/amazon to replace them...
I know those are (not real) leather so it may gets warm after 2 hours. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 16
Yea I got myself the sony mdr1r, it's overall quite comfortable. However the headband hurts a little after a few hours, it weights about 240g...

Im thinking return these and try the momentum for a week to see which fits me better.

Just wondering if I can find any velour pads that replace momentum's earpad (same size, maybe sightly bigger)?

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 16
  Yea I got myself the sony mdr1r, it's overall quite comfortable. However the headband hurts a little after a few hours, it weights about 240g...

Im thinking return these and try the momentum for a week to see which fits me better.

Just wondering if I can find any velour pads that replace momentum's earpad (same size, maybe sightly bigger)?

From what i know the velour pads are only available for the smaller on-ear model, not the over ear. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 16
Yep! I'll stay with my Sony Mdr-1r, they are on sale at Canada Computer for $189, pretty good deal.

Now, which velour pad  is more comfortable for Sony Mdr1r, Beyerdynamic Velour Padded or Auray Deluxe Velour Earpads?

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 16
Sorry for digging up on old thread, but this one comes up a lot in my search for comfortable closed back headphones.

FWIW, I bought and tried the MDR1R on the recommendation of this thread and some others, and I found it to be too uncomfortable to wear for more than 30 mins. The clamping force was too much.

To put it in perspective though, I have a pretty big head. I've tried pretty much every "comfortable" headphone for under $200, (sennheiser 55X,  Sony 7506, BD dt770 ) and unfortunately the only ones I can find that are actually wearable for more than a couple hours at a time are my most recent pair of Bose Soundtrue's. 

I'm not a big fan of the sound, but they're easily the most comfortable headphones I've worn outside of my Philips 9500 which unfortunately are open back and can't be worn at work. Philips sound infinitely better for less than half the cost of the Bose. 

I may give the DT 770's another shot. They were definitely more comfortable than the Sony MDR1R's. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 16
Just curious what you ended up doing, MNK1?

I work in an office with small, low-walled cubicles. I've been using my MS-1s at low volume, but I hate to irritate my coworkers. Even at low volume, they're almost as loud to nearby people as they are to the listener. No one has said anything to me, but still, I hate to be that annoying guy.

I had a pair of ATH-M50s for a month or so that I liked the sound of, but I sold them because my earlobes couldn't take being crushed by them for more than about 15 minutes.

I'm kind of considering the DT-770 Pro (80 or 250 Ohm version), but wondering if I'd like the sound...or how comfortable they are.

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 16
  Just curious what you ended up doing, MNK1?

I work in an office with small, low-walled cubicles. I've been using my MS-1s at low volume, but I hate to irritate my coworkers. Even at low volume, they're almost as loud to nearby people as they are to the listener. No one has said anything to me, but still, I hate to be that annoying guy.

I had a pair of ATH-M50s for a month or so that I liked the sound of, but I sold them because my earlobes couldn't take being crushed by them for more than about 15 minutes.

I'm kind of considering the DT-770 Pro (80 or 250 Ohm version), but wondering if I'd like the sound...or how comfortable they are.

I have not owned a more comfortable closed back headphone than the DT-770 Pro. The sound I find very pleasant. It is more or less a u-shape, with bright highs and very big bass. This gives them a lot of "air" and detail for a closed pair of headphones. Don't get my wrong, the mids are present as well. 

All that being said, the DT-770 Pro in both the 80 Ohm and 250 Ohm version does sound best to my ears with a dedicated desktop amplifier. They crave voltage. I have used the Schiit Asgard 2 with them for years, but I like how they sound out of a stereo receiver as well. Straight out of my phone or PC doesn't sound quite as good with them. But by glancing at your profile, it looks like you already have a desktop amp.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 16
Hmmk cool thanks. Yes, I’ll be using these with my Millett Max, so I’ve got more than enough power for just about any dynamic headphones.

Now, do I want the 80 or 250 ohm version? When they're properly amplified, is there any difference in sound?

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #14 of 16
  Hmmk cool thanks. Yes, I’ll be using these with my Millett Max, so I’ve got more than enough power for just about any dynamic headphones.

Now, do I want the 80 or 250 ohm version? When they're properly amplified, is there any difference in sound?

I prefer the sound of the 250 Ohm version ever so slightly. A little more midrange. However, I would rather have the 80 Ohm version 100 times more just because of the straight cable. The 250 Ohm version has a coiled cable. I don't care for coiled cables at my desk because of the extra weight on the earcup. In a studio or portable situation I may then prefer a coiled cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back