Most bizarre album of you've heard? [any genre]
Feb 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #16 of 51
Have you ever heard this one? I love Lou Reed, but not this one.

images

Or this one. Neil Young - "Everybody's Rockin'"

images

I like Lou Reed, but I'm not a big fan. I have heard that Neil Young (I am a big fan of Neil), but I don't own that one. It didn't make me cringe like Lulu.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:
I like Lou Reed, but I'm not a big fan. I have heard that Neil Young (I am a big fan of Neil), but I don't own that one. It didn't make me cringe like Lulu.

I'm also a big fan of Neil Young, if we keep it in the big fan department :) but this one didn't impress me or it was just to weird and I can't recommend you to own it either :)

I didn't like the Lulu either. The Metallica/Lou Reed combo just didn't work out very well. Neil Young once released a combo album with Pearl Jam, not great IMO, but certainly much better..

I know it is all getting confusing... but it is a thread about bizarre albums/combo's..

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #18 of 51
Definitely the soundtrack to Akira

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #19 of 51
Basically anything my the band [size=10.909090995788574px]Múm. Weird but at the same time, really enjoyable.[/size]

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #20 of 51
Everything I said was wrong. The most bizarre album comes from throbbing gristle. you ever hear that song "very friendly?" so ******* horrifying. Really, unless things dom't leave you feeling unsettled for days, avoid it. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #21 of 51
The first thing I thought of when  saw this thread's title (and before I looked inside) was John Zorn's The Classic Guide to Strategy.  It should come with a disclaimer 'No animals were harmed in the making of this album' because through most of it, it sounds suspiciously like he's torturing and killing a duck.  I'm surprised PETA isn't on his case over that one.  The other album of his that's pretty over the top is the original Locus Solus.

However, I wouldn't hesitate to go see any of Zorn's projects live.  Every time I've seen him, the level of musicianship of the people he has with them is off the charts.  It's kind of better when he himself doesn't play too too much. 

Funny to hear people bring up Autechre and Múm.  Both I like a lot, and neither I'd consider bizarre, which is obviously in the eye of the beholder I guess. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:
However, I wouldn't hesitate to go see any of Zorn's projects live.  Every time I've seen him, the level of musicianship of the people he has with them is off the charts.  It's kind of better when he himself doesn't play too too much.

Agreed. I've seen him over 40 times with a bunch of different ensembles, and not a single one was a bad concert. He really knows how to bring out something special in the people he works with.

I was actually just talking on another music forum with a friend of mine who just bought some of his albums, his weirdest stuff would be impossible to do live because he does those index-card cut-up audio recordings that can't really be recreated in real life... so his live shows are bound to be a little less difficult
wink.gif
    (He did used to perform those duck-call compositions back in the day, though.)

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #23 of 51
The Residents: Third Reich and Roll

Yes, that's Dick Clark on the cover.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #24 of 51
ALSO "hamburger lady" by throbbing gristle. Guess what that's about? ugh. jesus, it's horrific. I love john zorn. As far as the duck thing, are you referring to his hilarious saxophone shenanigans? I also pictures a goose who is insisting he was given the wrong price for something extremely expensive, a car or something.  He is a very gifted composer. His naked city stuff is great. Mike patton's vocals are very bizarre on litanies. I think it's track four. 

I myself am a vegan and have done a lot of work for animal rights,  (if you ask most activists honestly, they will tell you they want nothing to do with peta) My suspicion is if anyone thought it was a duck, they checked into zorn and learned that his saxophone actually IS a canada goose, but he's always giving the goose bad news, causing the goose distress.

Nah, I kid. Us activists (i hope, some animal rights activists are ******* awful, preachy, annoying jackoffs who should keep it shut because it's not anyone's  business what other people eat. You can't force people, all you can do is push for human conditions. Most vegans are too busy with that. I must admit, this does sound like a duck. you can almost hear his feathers flapping in the sibilance of the sax. Very strange music.

George Crumb's black angels is pretty bizarre.

Back to metal and bizarre,  does anyone know of any other surreal, dream-like metal? I prefer the death/doom stuff with deep gurgled vocals. It just adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:
 I love john zorn. As far as the duck thing, are you referring to his hilarious saxophone shenanigans?

He has done performances and recordings using actual duck calls. They are little wooden whistle-type things that, when used correctly, make a sound like a duck. Hunters use them to lure ducks or something. You can imagine what someone who makes a saxophone sound like a goose could do with an instrument that's actually supposed to sound like a duck!

He also would use just the mouthpiece of the saxophone and blow it into a bucket of water (or something like that, I've never seen this in person - only read about it) 

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #26 of 51
An Empty Bliss Beyond This World by The Caretaker

"On An Empty Bliss Beyond This World, Kirby takes his unique approach even further, by guiding discarded material into endless loops, subtle effects, and suppressed memories. Using sampled layers from his secret collection of old 78″ records, including the vinyl surface noise, The Caretaker reconstructs nostalgia, flashbacks, and déjà vu. Inspired by the 2010 study on Alzheimer’s disease, that has shown patients remembering new information with the aid of music, the fifteen small “memories” fade in and out of focus, sometimes ending abruptly, sometimes appearing twice on the album!"

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #27 of 51
Quote:
 As far as the duck thing, are you referring to his hilarious saxophone shenanigans?

I guess yes, and he does actually use the duck call thing as well on that disc.  It's a bit hard to tell when the sax ends and the duck call thing begins.  I should listen to it again, I haven't pulled it out in years.  But as far as it being hilarious goes, the music itself isn't supposed to be funny.  What is funny, though, is the liner notes, because they're so serious.  Unless that's supposed to be funny, too, in which case it might call Zorn's entire output/career into question.  Speaking of funny liner notes, nothing beats the aforementioned Locus Solus  for that.  It's something to the effect "When I was composing this album, I was absolutely sure it would go straight to the top of the charts.  When I listen back to it now, I think 'Where, on Mars?'"

Definitely some of Zorn's music would lead many people to think that he's a total sham.  However, as has been stated, if you've heard much of his stuff, it's more than obvious how gifted he is, and how his greatest strength is probably in composing totally legit.  So yeah, interesting musician.  The variety of stuff he's put out is staggering.  The Filmworks series alone has enough quality and variety in it that it's just shocking that it was all composed by one person.  Those things have some hilarious liner notes as well.  One is like 'For film scores with X type of band, I always call in <this musician> or <this other musician> to play <instrument>.  But they were both busy.  So I called this other guy.  It turned out OK.'

PS: That hamburger song sounds absolutely wretched.  I look forward to never hearing it. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:
Well, there is always Captain Beefheart, with Trout Mask Replica, or Lick My Decals Off Baby, or even Clear Spot. Take your pick.

I was wondering when those were going to come up in the conversation. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #29 of 51

Japanese Torture Comedy Hour. This band belongs to the Power Electronics Genre, pure of glitches distortions, microphone and guitar feedbacks, really hard to digest and to keep listening for more than an hour.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #30 of 51
Japanese Torture Comedy Hour. This band belongs to the Power Electronics Genre, pure of glitches distortions, microphone and guitar feedbacks, ...

After checking out that album, my headphones have a migraine, and my amp isn't speaking to me anymore. Thanks for that.

... really hard to digest and to keep listening for more than an hour.

But that part is funny. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back