"moretto amp"
Apr 18, 2002 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
I just lost another dang ebay auction for the pretty looking Moretto tube amp. Is that our Hirsch who won? I'll forgive him for outbidding me if he posts us a nice review!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 14
Yeah, that was me. Sorry 'bout that. I just hit the bottom of his reserve. I can't resist an interesting tube amp...I even have a set of NOS Amperexi ready and waiting for it.

Will Dusty or I be the first to review a HAP-03? Dusty got a head start, but I'm gaining fast...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 18, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 14
Just kidding, Hirsch, but I am eager to see your review. Hard to believe that it could compare well with your big blue zot, but perhaps it does better than mg head, the slee, etc.??
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Yeah... and... uh... so much for the end of your tube addiction, Mr. Westinghouse AKA rebranded Raytheon 5751. What a deal!

Well, yeah. With a new amp, I needed more than one change of tubes. That's almost like having only one change of underwear
tongue.gif

I actually wound up with the Amperexi by accident. Mixed up 12AX7 with 12AT7, and wound up with a quad of Fisher 12AX7's...and Fisher's tubes were made by Amperex. Then I had to buy an amp to listen to them with...

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Will Dusty or I be the first to review a HAP-03? Dusty got a head start, but I'm gaining fast...

Methinks they will still be trying to figure out which end the tube socket goes up when you have your hands on yours, but yours is just a rebranded Radii (I'll see you one
very_evil_smiley.gif
and raise you one
very_evil_smiley.gif
)... Quote:

I even have a set of NOS Amperexi ready and waiting for it.

And then there's this. You're just more "ready".

Apr 18, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I actually wound up with the Amperexi by accident. Mixed up 12AX7 with 12AT7, and wound up with a quad of Fisher 12AX7's...and Fisher's tubes were made by Amperex. Then I had to buy an amp to listen to them with...

Uh, you saw this thread, didn't you? The 12AX7's are the same thing as the 12AT7's, just with different gain.

Apr 18, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 14
Dusty,

Yep, I saw that...but most of my 12AT7's are in pairs (except for GE, Tung Sol, and Sylvania, which I've got in half dozens or more)

Apr 18, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 14
and I almost forgot the quad of Bugle Boys, the bag of RCA's, the triad of Telefunkens...hmmmm....there may be something here.

Apr 19, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 14
I spoke to the guy selling these amps. He claims that they outperform the earmax. I doubt it is true, but lets hear what dusty and hirsch have to say.

Apr 20, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 14
I bid on that amp both times it was on Ebay and was going to buy it off of auction just prior to the auction that Hirsh just got it on. Still, I was going to bid $479 on it at the end... but then, I got the latest 5751 from Nick, and that made the MG Head almost perfect for me. I think, if I can get my hands on one of those Sylvania 5751 3 mica or gold pin beauties, I'll be happy for at least 6 months.
Still, please let us all know how the HAP-03 sounds.

Apr 20, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by merc
Still, please let us all know how the HAP-03 sounds.

Will do. I have absolutely no idea what this will sound like. This may be the least I've known about any piece of equipment I've ever bought.

Jun 1, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 14
Just checked tracking, and the Moretto HAP-03 will be here in a couple days. Which is good. But the HD600's are a week or more away, which is bad. Have a pair of Sennheiser HD414's, but don't know the impedance on these -- suspect low. Yes, there is still a pair of these on the planet that work. The Moretto amp is supposed to drive no less that 150 ohms, I have heard. Anyone know the HD414 impedance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back