More spefic than just "gaming" headphones
Dec 24, 2008 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jfiveeight

Head-Fier
I've been reading all the threads i can find and very few speak on what kind of games they play, fewer speak of any actual titles. I am looking for the best headphones for Counter Strike: Source. My set up is in my sig, the only requirement is that they are comfortable. The proline 750s start to make sure i know i'm wearing them about 2 hours in (i really enjoy their sound for music), though it's nothing terrible; i'd rather not know i'm wearing headphones. I had HD595s and am looking to upgrade.

Headphones that i have gathered from other threads that could be good:
AKG601/701
Denon D2000/D5000
DT880/250Ohm
the many different Audio Technicas (500, 700, and 900)
MDR F1
SA5000

Dec 24, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 20
If you can get a hold of the K701 and try to wear them for a few hours, and have no problem with its headband's middle bump thereafter, then I'd say go for that. Otherwise, the DT 880's fit the requirement of being ridiculously comfortable while having great imaging, despite its imaging being a noticeable(but not terrible) notch below the k701's, IMO. IME. And in my system(IMS?).

*edit* Oh yea, this was concluded after a/b'ing the two headphones while playing cs_office(??) in CS:S. Talk about haxing the legal way.

Meh caaann't forget to thank ya Lord=]( a little inside joke, a-hem)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfiveeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading all the threads i can find and very few speak on what kind of games they play, fewer speak of any actual titles. I am looking for the best headphones for Counter Strike: Source. My set up is in my sig, the only requirement is that they are comfortable. The proline 750s start to make sure i know i'm wearing them about 2 hours in (i really enjoy their sound for music), though it's nothing terrible; i'd rather not know i'm wearing headphones. I had HD595s and am looking to upgrade.

Headphones that i have gathered from other threads that could be good:
AKG601/701
Denon D2000/D5000
DT880/250Ohm
the many different Audio Technicas (500, 700, and 900)
MDR F1
SA5000

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 20
Hiya pal, I'm a keen gamer but I play proper games like Quake
wink.gif
(joke) I've always used Sennhieser HD25sp's for gaming and music. Loved them for both. Just yesterday I took delivery on my christmas present to my-self
biggrin.gif
a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohms to replace my old sennhiesers. These beyers are serperb!
smily_headphones1.gif
Now I've let them bed in a little they're sounding great and are getting better and better. I'm more a music fan than a gamer now days but these seem great for gaming as well, both - the HD 25's and these DT770's. I much prefer these DT770's though, powerful cans!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen even the top professional CS players use anything higher up than the HD595.

Yeah... but they normally don't have an amp to drive headphones better than the HD595s.

I'm leaning toward the k70Xs. I don't know if the bass that i have read the D5000 has is best suited for CS. How is the bass in the k70x vs the HD595? I felt the HD595s bass was pretty much non-existent after listening to the proline 750s. I've also read that the SA5000 bass is better than the k70X but the sonys don't have as good of positioning/3-D imagery and a worse soundstage. With the SA5000 being praised for how fast they are, can the K70X keep up? there was a really long thread with these two vs each other and i don't believe the author ever outright said the AKGs could keep up with the Sonys.

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 20
If you need a competitive headphone for a game like counter strike (soundstage is very important), I would either go with the ATH AD700 or the Sony MDR F1 (Havent tried it yet but heard the soundstage is xtremely wide)

EDIT: Another option is the DT 880 but a decent amp is required for them to shine. But if you place comfort as a big priority, then the DT 880 is your clear winner.

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 20
That's really funny, you're in the EXACT same situation I was. I am an avid CS:S player (CAL M in my prime) and had the HD 595s, just thought they were a bit flat. I upgraded to the ATH-AD700s and couldn't be happier. I can't speak for the others, but I think the 880s would be worth trying out for sure. You also otta look into an amp. (My favorites are iBasso for their portability. I have a D3 Python on the way. iBasso.com)

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 20
I have a Rudistor NX-02, it's in my sig like the first post says.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you wanting these headphones mostly to win at FPS gaming or to enjoy the sounds?

First post says it all, i want them to be the best they can be for FPS games, namely CS:Source, musical sound is 2nd priority here.

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfiveeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Rudistor NX-02, it's in my sig like the first post says.

First post says it all, i want them to be the best they can be for FPS games, namely CS:Source, musical sound is 2nd priority here.

OK, so here's how I see it, just trying to help.

1) find out what headphones + other equipment the most successful FPS / CS gamers are using, and risk trying one of them,

or 2) try to determine what headphones + other equipment should work best for you and risk trying that.

If I was looking for this type of gaming headphones + equipment for competition (I don't game), I would want to know what the more successful gamers are using for CS. And so, I'd probably post a on various sites asking what headphones and equipment gamers were using for CS and to state their level of success with CS in some sort of comparative way. And, I wouldn't put as much faith in those talking "headphone talk" like sound stage, bass, detail, etc., and instead follow what's already been determined to work well for others (assuming that stands a good chance of working well for me). Alternatively, take a bigger risk on a lesser used set up in hopes of a bigger reward, a rig that works better than what's already working great for top CS players. Hope that helps.

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #13 of 20
The most successful gamers are using what their sponsors pay them to use. Something to keep in mind before going all out on the set they're hyping up.

Soundstaging/imaging would be something I would pay attention to greatly, since that's generally what a CS player would be looking for with their sound cues. And definitely not "big bass" or realistic explosions/rumblings, that's more for the gaming experience/entertainment value.

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Alternatively, take a bigger risk on a lesser used set up in hopes of a bigger reward, a rig that works better than what's already working great for top CS players. Hope that helps.

this is my goal. the top players use the HD595s/HD555s for the most part if it is any kind of high quality headphone (and not something by a gaming company who markets 5.1 stuff or just regular headphones). My assumption is they don't have the mind to drop $500 or more on an amp to drive much better headphones. So i guess what are the characteristics of the HD595s? and what phones add on to what would make them even better or greatly improve on the sound? To go on LostOnes post, the HD595s bass is minimal and i feel it would be close, though i'm sure no where near the quality of the K701, i would maybe like a little more though which is why i show interest in the SA5000.

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #15 of 20
I used to use my DT770/80s when I played 1.6 competitively. The soundstage is great and I'm able to hear everything pretty clearly. Some think the bass is overpowering but I disagree. For CS this is irrelevant anyway because the only sounds that produce lots of bass are the AWP and nades.

The only other headphone I have is the ultrasone hfi-780, but it seems you are not looking at ultrasones. This is good because the soundstaging, for gaming at least, is pathetic compared to the dt770s.

Also, read this review if you haven't come across it yet: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...review-387137/ I disagree with what he says about the DT770s but it may be because he has the 250 ohm version and I've only listened to the 80 ohm version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back