More Money, More Problems
Oct 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #16 of 23
RE0 has fantastic bass in my opinion. It reaches very low, is very detailed, very defined, clear and accurate. The quantity is just about right - in line with the mids and highs. If you are used to overemphasized low end, it may not be enough for you, but you can get used to it. The quality is better than on many headphones costing 2+ times as much.

Westone 1 would be OK I guess. But I haven't heard a single driver balanced armature than can really match RE0 in detail and extension. Even Etymotic ER4 is not as extended in the highs and doesn't have the realistic decay of the RE0.

I haven't tried RE-ZERO, but from what I read, they are not a step up from RE0 overall, but rather a sidestep. On a Russian audio forum I often visit, people are not impressed with the RE-ZERO and say the RE0 sounds better. In any case, I highly doubt any IEM at $100 or less can surpass RE0 in sound quality. If it can, then it can also beat a DT880 or D2000.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
RE0 has fantastic bass in my opinion. It reaches very low, is very detailed, very defined, clear and accurate. The quantity is just about right - in line with the mids and highs. If you are used to overemphasized low end, it may not be enough for you, but you can get used to it. The quality is better than on many headphones costing 2+ times as much.

Westone 1 would be OK I guess. But I haven't heard a single driver balanced armature than can really match RE0 in detail and extension. Even Etymotic ER4 is not as extended in the highs and doesn't have the realistic decay of the RE0.

I haven't tried RE-ZERO, but from what I read, they are not a step up from RE0 overall, but rather a sidestep. On a Russian audio forum I often visit, people are not impressed with the RE-ZERO and say the RE0 sounds better. In any case, I highly doubt any IEM at $100 or less can surpass RE0 in sound quality. If it can, then it can also beat a DT880 or D2000.

I have heard that the sub bass is well extended.  I dislike mid bass emphasis, at least to the point where it's just wrong.  I suppose that those would be best, but, as is often said here, if I can get 80% performance for 40% price, I will do that.  I'm sure I'd miss the 20%, but I think it would be worth it.  Since I won't be getting these until November, I guess I could just save more and get the RE0's.  They sound right, except for durability issues.

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #19 of 23
Every head-fi'er who is serious about IEMs should try the RE0 at least once IMO. The are like the Koss KCS-75 of the IEM world IMO. lol Super value for the money. It may be the only IEM many will ever need.

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #20 of 23

Quote:
Every head-fi'er who is serious about IEMs should try the RE0 at least once IMO. The are like the Koss KCS-75 of the IEM world IMO. lol Super value for the money. It may be the only IEM many will ever need.

I think I'll probably get those then. But, honestly, I have been permitted a strict budget on this, and I don't feel that I could ever justify anything better anyway, let alone this.  I don't understand how people can spend $3,000 on a portable rig they listen to maybe an hour every day.  It almost doesn't make sense to me.  I would agree that this may be a gross overstatement, but the point is still legitimate. So, to sum this up, I'm more or less decided, unless someone else wants to share experiences.  I appreciate the consideration.  I can only imagine what Queen would sound like through these.  Coincidentally, A Night at the Opera came out on my birthday.  That just made me like them even more.  

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #21 of 23
One last question on the RE0's.  Reviews on Amazon say that the seller does not offer a warranty.  However, Head-Direct is listed in another section as a retailer too.  Since it's actually $1 cheaper and it's through Amazon, I was thinking about buying them this way.  Is this really Head-Direct?  Can I trust Amazon?

Oct 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #22 of 23
Hopefully, last thing.  I am adding the SE215 to my list.  I like the "fun" description, possibility of soundstage, isolation, and look.  Clear looks great in IEM's, in my opinion.  Also, I am REALLY attracted to the cable, being extremely beefy and detachable, as well as the length. I just don't like the L-plug, because my case is recessed.  I have an adapter for that though.  So, now it comes down to RE0 at $85 and SE215 at $99.  Both with build issues, but SE215 with fewer.  I like the detail of my V6, but I feel that it may be boring at times, and just plain unsatisfying at others.  I am also worried about the revealing factor of the RE0, as well as the impedance.  SE215 should be easy to drive, fun, and fairly detailed with supreme build quality, features, and accessories.  As I said, I won't get anything until November 21st, but it's still nice to know what I should want when the time does come.  I think the Shure's will give Queen that little bit of thump they need on their Jazz album, specifically, but I'm hoping that at the same time they don't sacrifice the detail of Bohemian Rhapsody.  I want to hear the separation, but I also really like the intricate basslines I can just barely make out with the V6.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I hope I haven't been asking too much.

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #23 of 23
Update:

I recently bought A-Jays Two at Wal-Mart.  To my surprise, the stock Samsung headphones are noticeably better.  I have bought the A-Jays Two, the MeElectronics M2P, the iFrogz EarPollution, and a few cheaper ones from TJ Maxx.  I would say, from best to worst, it would be the Samsung, the A-Jays, the M2P, then the iFrogz, and finally the lesser sets.  I'm actually overwhelmed that a free bundled set is better than a set that I bought for $50.  Is is crazy that Samsung is actually including some decent accessories?  MUCH better than the iBuds...

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EHS60-Stereo-Headset-Microphone/dp/B0049Y2PIS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321213673&sr=1-3
Needless to say, these are not the greatest.  However, for $7, you can't go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back