More Greatest Hits CDs Coming Soon
Oct 9, 2002 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
10/15
Fleetwood Mac - very best of (2 CDs, 36 tracks)
INXS - best of (1 CD, 21 tracks)

10/22
Black Sabbath - symptom of the universe (2 CDs, 29 tracks)
David Bowie - best of (2 CDs, 39 tracks limited edition version)

Black Sabbath looks very cool, remastered, CD1 contains 1st three albums CD2 goes from 4th album to "never say die". This collection covers the Ozzy years 1970-78. Only negative is this will be full price release (for 30 year old songs!) .......yes I will buy it like a fool!

Last week I did pick up Cranberries greatest hit CD called "stars"
which has 3 new songs all good and has 20 tracks remastered, great stuff! (yes I have all the individual CDs also)

Oct 9, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 27
Jeebus! I already have a 1CD INXS GH, a 2CD Bowie GH, and a Fleetwook Mac GH!
headshake.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Jeebus! I already have a 1CD INXS GH, a 2CD Bowie GH, and a Fleetwook Mac GH!
headshake.gif

I am less interested in the new Bowie 2CD set since I also have the "singles" 2CD set I got in the mid 1990's. Also the song selection of the 39 tracks of "singles 1969-93" is better since the new collection has more of Bowie's recent work.

The sound quality though may be slightly improved on newest remaster, although the older "singles" set sounds quite good.

Oct 9, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 27
Is this new Fleetwood Mac collection remastered?

Oct 9, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Is this new Fleetwood Mac collection remastered?

Amazon lists this CD as being "Enhanced" what ever that means...i'm not much of a fan of theirs but will get the CD for my collection

Oct 9, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 27
OK, after doing some searching on Google, I can't find any mention of this Fleetwood Mac cd being remastered. It is, as squirt mentioned, enhanced, which means it'll contain extras like music videos, commentary, etc... Personally, I don't like enhanced cds, I'd rather they just put out a dvd w/ that sort of stuff on it. Doesn't matter, though, I'm definitely still going to get it. It even has the studio version of "Silver Springs", which from what I understand is supposed to be pretty rare.

Oct 9, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
"singles 1969-93" is better since the new collection has more of Bowie's recent work.

That makes it better??

very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
David Bowie - best of (2 CDs, 39 tracks limited edition version)

Yes, but which version: Quote:

BOWIE,DAVID-BEST OF BOWIE (AUS)
Australian version of his double disc 'Best Of' includes the same amount of tracks as the US but includes 9 tracks that do not appear on the US version, 'Starman', 'John, I'm Only Dancing', 'Drive-In Saturday', 'Sorrow', 'Wild Is The Wind', 'Boys Keep Swinging', 'Loving The Alien', 'Hallo Spaceboy' (Pet Shop Boys Remix) & 'Little Wonder'. 39 tracks in total. EMI 2002.

BOWIE,DAVID-BEST OF BOWIE (AUS)
Australian version features 19 tracks, 4 of which are not on the US pressing, 'Starman', 'Sorrow', '1984' & 'Slow Burn'. Available at this low price until mid January,2003!

BOWIE,DAVID-BEST OF BOWIE (JAP)
Japanese edition features 20 tracks, 3 of which are not featured on the US edition, 'Life On Mars', 'Starman' & 'Slow Burn'.

BOWIE,DAVID-BEST OF BOWIE (UK) (2CD)
UK version of his double disc 'Best Of' includes the same amount of tracks as the US but includes 9 tracks that do not appear on the US version, 'Starman', 'John, I'm Only Dancing', 'Drive-In Saturday', 'Sorrow', 'Wild Is The Wind', 'Boys Keep Swinging', 'Loving The Alien', 'Hallo Spaceboy' (Pet Shop Boys Remix) & 'Little Wonder'. 39 tracks in total. EMI 2002.

Oct 10, 2002 at 11:25 AM Post #11 of 27
This is the new Bowie 2CD limited edition I am referring to:
Bowie
As I said previously to me its not as good as earlier 2CD "singles" set because it contains more of his newer work. However brand new remaster may have slightly better sound.

This is the "singles" set I refer to:
Bowie
Bowie

Oct 10, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 27
Excellent news about the Fleetwood Mac 2CD set, that's perfect for me! The older greatest hits is a single-disc, ancient and sound is thin and poor.

I have the Rumors DVD-A which kicks major ass-- damn that one sounds just fabulous. Since I really don't need any othe mac albums, this set should do nicely!
smily_headphones1.gif

Any Bowie experts out there? The Bowie one puts me in a perdicament. He really needs a 3-disc set to really capture all his best moments. If you were to pick any 3 essential Bowie albums to buy in their entirety to complement this 2-disc hits set, what would they be and why? I know he just re-mastered all his older albums.

Mark

Oct 10, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Any Bowie experts out there? The Bowie one puts me in a perdicament. He really needs a 3-disc set to really capture all his best moments. If you were to pick any 3 essential Bowie albums to buy in their entirety to complement this 2-disc hits set, what would they be and why? I know he just re-mastered all his older albums.
Mark

1)Ziggy
Well 1st choice is easy call for me - Ziggy Stardust! Get the 30th anniversary edition the sound is easily best version ever, also has 23 tracks and beautiful packaging.

Next two are harder calls, but for me....

2)Aladdin Sane
Classic Bowie sound along the lines of Ziggy with some good energetic rockers, made before he began his experimental phase of white duke and Berlin days.

3)Scary Monsters
Last great album and one of his best, songs like "ashes to ashes"
show Bowie at his creative peak.

Oct 10, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 27
While not quite in the same genre of Bowie & F Mac, another greatest hits is coming out October 22...a 4 CD box set of the essential...Carpenters [1965-1997]. For those of you interested, a track listing can be found at :

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/carpen...53/album.jhtml

VH1 also appears to have a pretty decent price compared to the other online vendors.

No cracks now...I grew up on the Carpenters...love their "sound" and also Karen's voice. Since I only have them on vinyl, this will be a good buy for me.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back