more DRM evilness
Dec 31, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif

does anyone happen to know, if I own an album on CD is it illegal for me to download the mp3s from mediafire, rapidshare, etc?

illegal.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a person who only has few CDs, paying $20/mo for unlimited access is more cost effective than buying CDs one at a time.

That is true. The subscription services fill a definite need. If you don't currently have a large CD collection and want access to a large library then the subscription services can make sense. And subscription style services can't work without DRM. The DRM is there to enforce the conditions of the rental. When the rental period is over or when you cancel the subscription the DRM disables the files you have. That's a completely acceptable use of DRM in my view. I don't consider DRM for that use to be evil at all.

DRM used on media that you purchase, however, is evil. If you purchase the media, rather than rent it or subscribe to it, then DRM of any sort is evil and will cause you grief or complete loss of use of the file at some time in the future.

And remember that the "rights" in DRM (Digital Rights Management) refers to the rights of the content publishers. They have no interest in protecting or enabling any of your legitimate rights to the use of the content (fair use rights, doctrine of first sale, etc. etc.).

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #18 of 28
DRM on purchased media isn't so bad if you license it out. There's been a few attempts at this but no one's managed a complete solution. I Won't buy DRM music until I can play it on any player. This is why I never bought anything from iTunes when it was "protected", as I didn't want to be locked into Apple players forever. I work with a guy that has hundred of albums from Itunes, many not upgradable like the OP, and he really regrets it now as he wants to buy other players, but cant because all his music is unplayable on them. I'll forward that drm stripper link.. hope he can work it out. He's not too tech savvy..

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

does anyone happen to know, if I own an album on CD is it illegal for me to download the mp3s from mediafire, rapidshare, etc?

it's illegal but it's not wrong

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Most certainly illegal.
But since you own the CD why not rip it to MP3 yourself?

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Ha!
sorry to hear about the troubles but glad issues are resolved

From legal POV its illegal because technically it isnt a copy of YOUR copy of the disc, but from moral POV no IMHO. End result is pretty much the same afterall. But then again if you own the disc, why not make your own RIP which is really easy? Though if your CD is copy protected, in some countries it is illegal to break one... So pick the least "wrong" of two supposedly "wrongs".

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But since you own the CD why not rip it to MP3 yourself?

My laptop doesn't have a disc drive on board and sometime it hypothetically is easier to download than to get my USB disc drive out and rip.

thanks for answers,

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's illegal but it's not wrong

I would be willing to argue that is it indeed legal. In this age, you are paying for the rights to intellectual property. You may have that in any format because you have the rights to it.

I'd go to court on that.

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by notmuchcash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be willing to argue that is it indeed legal. In this age, you are paying for the rights to intellectual property. You may have that in any format because you have the rights to it.

I'd go to court on that.

yeah, you can possess copies of it if you purchased it originally, but you cannot give said copies to friends, family, anyone.

and really, the "rights" that are being protected are those of the artist and their intellectual property.

so you can go to court, but you'd lose.

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, you can possess copies of it if you purchased it originally, but you cannot give said copies to friends, family, anyone.

and really, the "rights" that are being protected are those of the artist and their intellectual property.

so you can go to court, but you'd lose.

He never said he had any interest in sharing his music. Assuming he doesn't do anything illegal after getting the files, I'd say he is on solid legal ground. Just as long as he doesn't touch p2p for the files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back