more DRM evilness
Dec 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought some albums of the itunes store early-on when they had DRM on them.

I got a itunes gift card for christmas so I thought i would use it and take advantage of the itunes plus upgrade where for 30 cents a song they update the album including removing DRM and 256kb bit rate compared to 128kb.

So come to find out, 2 of the five albums aren't on itunes anymore so I'm stuck with the DRM versions regardless. What doubly sucks is that they were bought about 4 years ago with a email address and password I have long since stopped using. So because one the albums is one I play a lot and very hard to find any other way, I'm stuck with having to make sure I remember and authorize my computer to play them.

DRM is truly evil!

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why DRM is just oh so wonderful and loved by all

If it's so bad why do people pay for it? None of my music is DRM, but I know people who use DRM sites and would likely never buy CDs.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 28
Dec 30, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's still 128Kbps. Besides, legally that's almost as bad as pirating.

This thread is about DRM evilness not bitrate though.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides, legally that's almost as bad as pirating.

And so is ripping a DVD for personal use because you need to circumvent the CSS encryption. Legally that's almost as bad as pirating. (US laws, DMCA)

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's so bad why do people pay for it? None of my music is DRM, but I know people who use DRM sites and would likely never buy CDs.

A lot of us won't pay for it. I stopped buying music from iTunes years ago.

I won't buy music unless I get physical media. No exceptions.

Also, used CDs can be cheaper than buying off iTunes these days. I've been finding used discs in the $2-$3 range at junk stores, swap meets and pawn shops. A side benefit of rampant downloading (which I do not condone) is that it has demolished the prices of used CDs.

I am pleased to take advantage of that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, used CDs can be cheaper than buying off iTunes these days. I've been finding used discs in the $2-$3 range at junk stores, swap meets and pawn shops. A side benefit of rampant downloading (which I do not condone) is that it has demolished the prices of used CDs.

smily_headphones1.gif

Same here.

Although I will still grab an album off iTunes or Amazon if they are running a special to see if I want to buy the physical version.

Most recently I got the new John Mayer for $3 off Amazon.

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 28
The album was Sleater Kinney's the Woods which I found locally used on CD.

I got lucky I guess, but it still shows that anything short of physical media has it's risks (though i guess the CD could get warped or destroyed in a fire but that seems more remote)

Lesson learned

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 28
For a person who only has few CDs, paying $20/mo for unlimited access is more cost effective than buying CDs one at a time.

My CD collection was mostly filled out before MP3 players became popular, so no, DRM isn't any sort of advantage for me. If somehow all my discs were lost, then I'd consider a DRM site.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, used CDs can be cheaper than buying off iTunes these days. (snippage)
smily_headphones1.gif

I just saw that while shopping for some used CDs on Amazon. For one there were new CDs that were cheaper than used, and new that was cheaper than a MP3 download. Yeah, I want a disc...always.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cianyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you do the right thing and downloaded the non-DRM version for free?

Ha!
sorry to hear about the troubles but glad issues are resolved

does anyone happen to know, if I own an album on CD is it illegal for me to download the mp3s from mediafire, rapidshare, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back