Moondrop Starfield Alternatives (Design)
Jun 9, 2020 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

utzcertified

New Head-Fier
I’m after some IEMs at around the £100/$100 mark, and I’ve seen that the Moondrop Starfields are pretty consistently recommended at this price point. I think I’d prefer the signature of the Starfields over something brighter like the Tin T4s, and the Starfields also seem more comfortable than other competitors around this price point. I’m coming from Shure SE215s, which I liked, and the design and sound signature of the Moondrops, while obviously different to the Shures (e.g. less bassy), might not involve as big a difference as other options would. Also, I like this general shape of these IEMs over Etymotic-type plugs.

Unfortunately I find the design of the Starfields (apparently spelled ‘Starlields’ on the earphones) off-putting to the point where I’m seeking alternatives. I would prefer something less garish (unless anyone has advice for removing the paint…?) Another bonus would be MMCX connectors, as I have some Fiio UTWS1s with MMCX connectors on the way, but this isn’t a must as I could use adapters.

I’d be using these with my iPhone via a dongle without a separate DAC, or via the Fiio UTWS1s. I would like something accurate and detailed, with reasonably strong but controlled bass, not too fatiguing, with decent separation and soundstage.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 8
I’m after some IEMs at around the £100/$100 mark, and I’ve seen that the Moondrop Starfields are pretty consistently recommended at this price point. I think I’d prefer the signature of the Starfields over something brighter like the Tin T4s, and the Starfields also seem more comfortable than other competitors around this price point. I’m coming from Shure SE215s, which I liked, and the design and sound signature of the Moondrops, while obviously different to the Shures (e.g. less bassy), might not involve as big a difference as other options would. Also, I like this general shape of these IEMs over Etymotic-type plugs.

Unfortunately I find the design of the Starfields (apparently spelled ‘Starlields’ on the earphones) off-putting to the point where I’m seeking alternatives. I would prefer something less garish (unless anyone has advice for removing the paint…?) Another bonus would be MMCX connectors, as I have some Fiio UTWS1s with MMCX connectors on the way, but this isn’t a must as I could use adapters.

I’d be using these with my iPhone via a dongle without a separate DAC, or via the Fiio UTWS1s. I would like something accurate and detailed, with reasonably strong but controlled bass, not too fatiguing, with decent separation and soundstage.

Moondrop is releasing the SSR next week with price announcement tomorrow (should be around 40-60 usd). It is a reference tuning that is inspired/similar to the Etymotic ER2SE. https://twitter.com/MoondropLab/status/1267629301874036737/photo/1

They also have the SSP which is a bass boosted one variant and should be the same price. Similar to the Etymotic ER2XR.

Then they also have the KXXX (yes thats the name lol) which should be between the starfield and the KXXS, priced at 150 usd.
https://twitter.com/MoondropLab/status/1269641553150128128/photo/2

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 8
You could also take a look at the JVC FD02.
With a little modding work (easy & reversible) they are a a better alternaitve to the Starfield with a very different look.
Price around €150 at amazon Japan, plus shipping and importation

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the tips, both. I hadn't seen the new Moondrop products, very interesting. I have Amazon Prime and I'm based in the UK so there's a fairly big advantage of getting anything from there--the Starfields are just £84 right now, which is really good and returns are easy. I think the JVCs would work out at about double in all, but I will take a look.

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 8
Jun 10, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 8

I have various IEMs but tend to instinctively use the Blon 03 (recabled and retipped) and Urabanfun iss014 (with stock cable and retipped). Now instinctively I do tend use these Starfields. Soundwise they don't have a fault. They have a really Harmonesque sound and are just enjoyable. The faults are in the paint job, which already in my case easily chips, and a tangly cable (which sounds great). Soundwise I couldn't recommend these IEM more....they are musical and clear across the whole sound spectrum. Great for long listens.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 8

A lot of great recommendations have already been mentioned, but I’ll add the ThieAudio Legacy 3. It has a very nice tuning, with good detail, but is inoffensive. I just find it thoroughly enjoyable and not boring at all. Bass is fun and detailed, but not overbearing.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 8
I have various IEMs but tend to instinctively use the Blon 03 (recabled and retipped) and Urabanfun iss014 (with stock cable and retipped). Now instinctively I do tend use these Starfields. Soundwise they don't have a fault. They have a really Harmonesque sound and are just enjoyable. The faults are in the paint job, which already in my case easily chips, and a tangly cable (which sounds great). Soundwise I couldn't recommend these IEM more....they are musical and clear across the whole sound spectrum. Great for long listens.

Thanks. As it happens, the BLONs have just the kind of inoffensive (even appealing!) look I have in mind but I don’t know if they’d be an upgrade from the Shure SE215s in sound quality—for all the talk of Chi-Fi overtaking Western brand names in certain respects, I’m not clear on whether the £35 BLONs are thought to beat the £80 Shures.

A lot of great recommendations have already been mentioned, but I’ll add the ThieAudio Legacy 3. It has a very nice tuning, with good detail, but is inoffensive. I just find it thoroughly enjoyable and not boring at all. Bass is fun and detailed, but not overbearing.

Another great recommendation, thank you, although unfortunately I also find their appearance a bit much. I might be giving too much weight to looks, but I don’t think I’d feel comfortable wearing something out and about unless I thought it was reasonably discreet (and visual aesthetic considerations are important to me somewhat, just as auditory aesthetic considerations are—although I realise my tastes might be particular!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back