Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #10,141 of 11,977
Sep 23, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #10,142 of 11,977
Adjectives like tonally terrible and imbalanced are the complete opposite of what Kato or Moondrop IEMs like KXXS, Starfield, Aria, Blessing2, Dusk or S8 sound like. These are all tuned to or around Moondrop's VDSF target, which takes inspiration from Harman and Diffuse Field reference target curves. Now one might prefer or like a more coloured sound than these as a subjective preference but objectively, these IEMs are tonally correct and portray instruments accurately.

Quick OOTB impressions of Kato - I could only try a couple of songs between Kato and KXXS last night before I dozed off, so these are just my quick impressions. With the golden nozzle (which I think I prefer over the silver one), Kato sounds like a more natural and slightly more resolving, punchy and dynamic version of KXXS, with a slightly more open, clean and spacious soundstage in comparison. This comparison mostly translates to Aria and Starfield too.

I quite like the Tanchjim Oxygen too, which again is tuned close to the Harman Target curve and sounds quite similar to KXXS, has slightly better technical performance, but has a short and stout nozzle which isn't the best if you like a good snug fit. I haven't tried Mangird Tea or Dunu Falcon Pro, so can't help you there.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me. :)
After talking with more people I've realized the falcon pro won't be good for me. I've been pointed more over to the Hana 2021 and again the KATO since it may possibly be a better kxxs. How do you like the KATO compared to the kxxs and oxygen (and Hana 2021 if you've heard it)? Im slightly reluctant to get the KATO because of the added treble peak, I am a little sensitive to sibilance.

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #10,143 of 11,977
Friend, can you talk about this peak in 8k?

When we look at the T2 Pro chart:

T2-Pro.jpg

(my little darling), some people find it bizarre. I Love! Because of this peak it has some simbilance, which I sometimes even consider a recording/mixing defect, but I'm not sure I'm correct, because it doesn't show up on all albums. The presentation of microdetail in this IEM is also gigantic and I believe this has to do precisely with these frequencies from 6 to 20k.

As I mentioned above, soon I intend to buy B2 Dusk, but now with this KATO chart above I was in doubt. Dusk or KATO? Even because without a doubt KATO has a better construction.
Doesn’t Crin normalize insertion distance on all of his plots so there is a leak at 8k. It should be pretty common among all of his plots (last peak appears at 8k). That peak you see there may not be at 8k when in your ear.

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #10,144 of 11,977
For example, I love hearing simbilancy or my singers "sniffling" into the microphone.
Lol! 🤣

After talking with more people I've realized the falcon pro won't be good for me. I've been pointed more over to the Hana 2021 and again the KATO since it may possibly be a better kxxs. How do you like the KATO compared to the kxxs and oxygen (and Hana 2021 if you've heard it)? Im slightly reluctant to get the KATO because of the added treble peak, I am a little sensitive to sibilance.
Kato does not have sibilance, at least not for me and I'm quite perceptive about it. If you're leaning towards Kato and this is your only concern, don't worry. Go for it!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #10,145 of 11,977
That graph that's showing the FR of Starfield and Kato doesn't show a "peak" at 8-10K for Kato. By that graph, both iem's have begun rolling off well before that point with Starfield rolling off at a steeper rate versus Kato. So Kato is simply showing more energy than Starfield in that 8-10K region. But it's not a "peak".
I'm not speaking to the accuracy of that FR plot, just what it looks like to me.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #10,146 of 11,977
Yeah, if that graph is to be believed, it looks like the Kato has a more "honest" treble response compared to the Starfield. Even if it's rolled off, it's relatively linear in its response (noting that the 12-14k peak on the Starfield is taller, but the Kato's treble FR probably serves up overall more treble information). That said, I have no idea how it will sound in practice! :D

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #10,147 of 11,977
One of the things I like about my Aria is that it is discreet, does not draw attention to themselves. I wish more IEMs went with this way too. Not everyone likes them flashy.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #10,148 of 11,977
Yeah, if that graph is to be believed, it looks like the Kato has a more "honest" treble response compared to the Starfield. Even if it's rolled off, it's relatively linear in its response (noting that the 12-14k peak on the Starfield is taller, but the Kato's treble FR probably serves up overall more treble information). That said, I have no idea how it will sound in practice! :D
This graph was measured with a Dayton Imm06 and "corrected" to simulate a IEC711 coupler's measurement. But, anyway, the measurement from moondrop shows more linearity after 10k than the previous DD models.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #10,149 of 11,977
This graph was measured with a Dayton Imm06 and "correntes" to simulate a IEC711 coupler's measurements. But, anyway, the measurement from moondrop shows more linearity after 10k than the previous DD models.
Dayton IMM06 is not very accurate above 4kHz.

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #10,150 of 11,977
Found this on their weibo:

kato matt.jpg
Looks a bit too industrial I say, just like their SSR.
I will say this. That dude's got some really well groomed nails.

Sep 24, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #10,153 of 11,977
One of the things I like about my Aria is that it is discreet, does not draw attention to themselves. I wish more IEMs went with this way too. Not everyone likes them flashy.
I would disagree. I think there is a good mix of "flashy" and "discreet" IEMs today. I hope that trend continues where a wide range of tastes can be catered to effectively.

Sep 24, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #10,154 of 11,977

Users who are viewing this thread

Back