Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #9,841 of 11,977
So, my first impressions so far about Moondrop Variations:

Technicalities

• Clarity and overall detail are awsome, even tho, not as much as TSMR Lands but those have more treble energy and 4ESTs, so there’s that.
  • Soundstage and imaging are also great. Vocals are out of your head, everything is behind that, with great separation. To me, one of Variations best traits.
  • Timbre and Coherency are pretty good. Not single DD-like, but one of the best you’ll get as non-DD.
Tuning

graph (8)

• Sub-bass is great. Texture, speed and overall quantity/quality. Nothing to new here, it’s a sub-bass focused tribid that mimics Monarch, so it comes as no surprise.

• Around Mid-bass and Mids is where my problem with the set starts:
If we lock my favourite IEM vs Variations around 100hz, we can easly see where my problem is. Kickdrums, male vocals, bass guitars, etc are left behind. Mids follow the story up to the upper mids region, where from there it’s whatever. Coming from a midbass/midcentric library, this is a problem real quick. The way presentation and tuning is done by Teas on this region is better, for me and for my library. Of course clarity and detail are a bloobath that Variations wins.​

graph (7)

• Treble/Upper treble: Pretty good texture, ESTs well done. Above average detail and air on there. It gets hot sometimes for me, since to get the volume on the mids I need, I raise up the volume and voilá. Still, doubt this will be a problem to libraries different than mine. It has nice extension, nothing really to point here.

Overall/First conclusions:

Variations is a great IEM. They sounds more monitor-a-like that I thought, with great sub-bass emphasis. If the mids were slightly different on the tuning part, this would probably be my end-game. Pretty sure these fit any library for people that like more neutral signatures with sub-bass boosts, like Dusk. Technically they are on god tier. If your library is sub-bass based, for instance, Massive Attack or Pop, this are a gem, no doubt. S-Tier recommendation if they suit your library. I’ll give a couple more spins in the next hours.

Thank you for sharing your impressions!

I think MoonDrop Variations has 2EST drives as well , or maybe I am mistaken 😊.

Tbh - I wanted to purchase the Variations, but instead I went with EJ07M, cuz I know Variations won't be comfortable for me due to the size, and design.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #9,842 of 11,977
Mine arrived today. Feels and looks very well made, also the sound seems lovely.
I’m now using that cable for DUNU SA6✌️ It matches well with Variations too, nice cable XINHS got!

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #9,846 of 11,977
After a super delayed shipping, Moondrop Quarks have finally arrived. I like them for their uniqueness in this price bracket which is dominated by Harman and V-shaped IEMs. I find them neutral with slight emphasis on the mids. I didn't like stock tips so I'm using ultra cheap JVC HA-FX1X tips that are available for some ¥300-400 on Amazon.jp (I got them with the earphones that cost around $10 so whatever is easier for you)

Packaging is better than most in this price range. Build quality is okay if you like metal body IEMs but they're extremely comfortable and light. Definitely a recommendation for the ones wanting to use IEMs while sleeping/side sleeping

Impressions after almost 4 hours of playtime -

Treble is smooth. Not detailed, piercing and fatiguing. Lacks bit of air but I'm not complaining at this price. It is tuned very safely considering how SSR was bonked for being "shouty"

Mids are slightly emphasized but to my ears they're just a bit shy of being mid-centric. Of course, YMMV depending upon your tolerance to upper mids

Bass is light but controlled. You can feel it if the song/tune has it. Bassheads and Harman lovers won't like it. But ones who like Tin's T2 series and HZSOUND Heart Mirror, they will appreciate it

I'll give them more head time and will update my impressions if they change.

Short summary - A very good neutral set with slight boost in mids. A fantastic proposition for beginners who want to try neutral/mid-centric neutral sound without burning a hole a in their pockets. Currently they're besting the original T2 as my go to recommendation for a cheap neutral set. At half the price they're definitely giving them a run for their money.

Attachments

• 20210902_181215.jpg
    20210902_181215.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210902_151614_330.jpg
    IMG_20210902_151614_330.jpg
    916.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210902_151235.jpg
    20210902_151235.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210902_151119.jpg
    20210902_151119.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #9,847 of 11,977
Joined the Moondrop club like 10 days ago with the Aria. Little firecracker! But now the two pin input/connector on the right side is coming "loose" and getting more and more wobbly by the day - expecting terminal damage soon. I'm not too worried as I bought from, correction "thru", Amazon.de but with reference to "something else" coming up hopefully soon I'm a little worried indeed. BTW - read the last 60 pages of this thread and would like to extend thanx for the effort, info, advise etc. you guys put into this ...
I have the same issue on my current pair and my last one (returned that one for another reason). I suspect that this could be one of the things that has been overlooked during QC checks. Also sending back this pair. I'm a bit bunned out having to send back 2 pairs already.

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #9,848 of 11,977
Hey friends, just posted up my review of the Soft Ears RS10 on Everyday Listening, for those that aren't aware, Soft Ears are the premium division of Moondrop and the RS10 is their flagship reference monitor. Graph below for brownie points.

1630649345770.png

It's not cheap but IMO, the RS10 is easily one of the best IEMs on the market for those wanting the utmost linear sound. These are gobsmacking resolving in the midrange and the bass is hugely punchy for an all-BA setup as well. Add on pressure relief (similar to apex, atom, adel) and a flat impedance design and these are a hugely versatile overall package.

DSC01514.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy the read and comparisons, happy listening :)

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #9,849 of 11,977
So, my first impressions so far about Moondrop Variations:

Technicalities

• Clarity and overall detail are awsome, even tho, not as much as TSMR Lands but those have more treble energy, which might give an illusion of that.
  • Soundstage and imaging are also great. Vocals are out of your head, everything is behind that, with great separation. To me, one of Variations best traits.
  • Timbre and Coherency are pretty good. Not single DD-like, but one of the best you’ll get as non-DD.
Tuning

graph (8)

• Sub-bass is great. Texture, speed and overall quantity/quality. Nothing to new here, it’s a sub-bass focused tribid that mimics Monarch, so it comes as no surprise.

• Around Mid-bass and Mids is where my problem with the set starts:
If we lock my favourite IEM vs Variations around 100hz, we can easly see where my problem is. Kickdrums, male vocals, bass guitars, etc are left behind. Mids follow the story up to the upper mids region, where from there it’s whatever. Coming from a midbass/midcentric library, this is a problem real quick. The way presentation and tuning is done by Teas on this region is better, for me and for my library. Of course clarity and detail are a bloobath that Variations wins.​

graph (7)

• Treble/Upper treble: Pretty good texture, ESTs well done. Above average detail and air on there. It gets hot sometimes for me, since to get the volume on the mids I need, I raise up the volume and voilá. Still, doubt this will be a problem to libraries different than mine. It has nice extension, nothing really to point here.

Overall/First conclusions:

Variations is a great IEM. They sounds more monitor-a-like that I thought, with great sub-bass emphasis. If the mids were slightly different on the tuning part, this would probably be my end-game. Pretty sure these fit any library for people that like more neutral signatures with sub-bass boosts, like Dusk. Technically they are on god tier. If your library is sub-bass based, for instance, Massive Attack or Pop, this are a gem, no doubt. S-Tier recommendation if they suit your library. I’ll give a couple more spins in the next hours.

Nice review, couldn't agree more!
If you have some JVC Spiral Dot FX10 (the soft ones) I'd be interested in your opinion with the Variations.

I've had the Variations for a couple of months now, using them with some cheap Sennheiser Gel tips and the dip in the lower midrange started to bother me, especially with vocals.
Went back to tip rolling and the Spiral Dot FX10 gives me a better balance, evening out the frequency response. I liked them better than the Spinfit.
But I need to spend more time with te FX10 tips though to see if there are any other issues.

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #9,850 of 11,977
Nice review, couldn't agree more!
If you have some JVC Spiral Dot FX10 (the soft ones) I'd be interested in your opinion with the Variations.

I've had the Variations for a couple of months now, using them with some cheap Sennheiser Gel tips and the dip in the lower midrange started to bother me, especially with vocals.
Went back to tip rolling and the Spiral Dot FX10 gives me a better balance, evening out the frequency response. I liked them better than the Spinfit.
But I need to spend more time with te FX10 tips though to see if there are any other issues.

I only have FX9 I think (Spiral Dots, not ++ Version). I still need to tip roll a bit. I made a break from Variations during 24h because I was a bit mad and didn't want it to affect my judgment. Gonna try to get some experiment going today/this weekend and let you guys know.

Sep 3, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #9,851 of 11,977
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #9,852 of 11,977
Hello, I have been watching this thread here and there, and decided to buy a pair of starfieds, I really love the sound, much better then any other iems I have owned, but I listen to a fairly varied musical library and realized they don't do mainstream rap and some electronic (like 21 savage, or dj shadow) as well as they do prog rock, jazz and underground hip hop (like rush, Sergio Méndez, madlib)

Can you guys recommend a few options that are on a similar price point and similar level but with harder hitting sub bass (I prefer a dryer bass, with decent high treble and the mids not too far back)

Thanks in advance

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #9,854 of 11,977
1630664778452.png

KATO is equipped with a new independently developed U.T.L super-linear dynamic driver, which includes a more efficient composite magnetic circuit of inner and outer magnets, and a linear air circulation structure, the third-generation DLC composite diaphragm, and a larger copper inner-cavity.

Other than that, KATO has also added a replaceable tube design, and two metal tubes of different materials come along to increase the playability of sound.

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #9,855 of 11,977
1630664778452.png

KATO is equipped with a new independently developed U.T.L super-linear dynamic driver, which includes a more efficient composite magnetic circuit of inner and outer magnets, and a linear air circulation structure, the third-generation DLC composite diaphragm, and a larger copper inner-cavity.

Other than that, KATO has also added a replaceable tube design, and two metal tubes of different materials come along to increase the playability of sound.

Damn, I'm hype now. Let's hope we can see a graph soon enough :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back