Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #9,826 of 11,972
Filter already off, they fell during first tip roll. Graphene cable on it already. Stock cable is really spaguetti, lol. Stock tips didn't seal me.

I'm only like 6 tracks in, Teas mids are better presented for my taste, but that might be my brain processing. Everything else is better on Variations, I think.

TSMR Land was more detailed, had more mid bass, less sub bass (120 switches).

Will give some first impressions later!
Missing Land already? :wink:

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #9,827 of 11,972
Sep 1, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #9,829 of 11,972
Sep 1, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #9,830 of 11,972
I heard lotoo paw s1 sound better than W2
Anyone can comment

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #9,831 of 11,972
Not really, just different tuning.

But still, Mangird Tea > Everything. FITE ME
Send it over to me, then I can hear and judge :wink:

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #9,833 of 11,972
I heard lotoo paw s1 sound better than W2
Anyone can comment
I returned the S1 to buy the W2 imho the W2 is a much better unit. There is some comparisons on page one of this tread Along with tons info over on the W2 thread. Go with the W2 I think you will be super happy with it.

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #9,835 of 11,972
Not on Variations, but with my B2 Dusk (and with other IEMs with a wide bore), I really like the L size A07 tips.
Y01 tips fit really well, but they may slightly obstruct 1 or 2 of the nozzles.
E01 tips are very similar to Final E tips, but slightly longer. Better suited for IEMs with a narrower bore IMO.
A08 are good all rounders.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #9,836 of 11,972
So, my first impressions so far about Moondrop Variations:

Technicalities

• Clarity and overall detail are awsome, even tho, not as much as TSMR Lands but those have more treble energy, which might give an illusion of that.
  • Soundstage and imaging are also great. Vocals are out of your head, everything is behind that, with great separation. To me, one of Variations best traits.
  • Timbre and Coherency are pretty good. Not single DD-like, but one of the best you’ll get as non-DD.
Tuning

graph (8)

• Sub-bass is great. Texture, speed and overall quantity/quality. Nothing to new here, it’s a sub-bass focused tribid that mimics Monarch, so it comes as no surprise.

• Around Mid-bass and Mids is where my problem with the set starts:
If we lock my favourite IEM vs Variations around 100hz, we can easly see where my problem is. Kickdrums, male vocals, bass guitars, etc are left behind. Mids follow the story up to the upper mids region, where from there it’s whatever. Coming from a midbass/midcentric library, this is a problem real quick. The way presentation and tuning is done by Teas on this region is better, for me and for my library. Of course clarity and detail are a bloobath that Variations wins.​

graph (7)

• Treble/Upper treble: Pretty good texture, ESTs well done. Above average detail and air on there. It gets hot sometimes for me, since to get the volume on the mids I need, I raise up the volume and voilá. Still, doubt this will be a problem to libraries different than mine. It has nice extension, nothing really to point here.

Overall/First conclusions:

Variations is a great IEM. They sounds more monitor-a-like that I thought, with great sub-bass emphasis. If the mids were slightly different on the tuning part, this would probably be my end-game. Pretty sure these fit any library for people that like more neutral signatures with sub-bass boosts, like Dusk. Technically they are on god tier. If your library is sub-bass based, for instance, Massive Attack or Pop, this are a gem, no doubt. S-Tier recommendation if they suit your library. I’ll give a couple more spins in the next hours.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #9,837 of 11,972
So, my first impressions so far about Moondrop Variations:

Technicalities

• Clarity and overall detail are awsome, even tho, not as much as TSMR Lands but those have more treble energy and 4ESTs, so there’s that.
  • Soundstage and imaging are also great. Vocals are out of your head, everything is behind that, with great separation. To me, one of Variations best traits.
  • Timbre and Coherency are pretty good. Not DD-like, but one of the best you’ll get as non-DD.
Tuning

graph (8)

• Sub-bass is great. Texture, speed and overall quantity/quality. Nothing to new here, it’s a sub-bass focused tribid that mimics Monarch, so it comes as no surprise.

• Around Mid-bass and Mids is where my problem with the set starts:
If we lock my favourite IEM vs Variations around 100hz, we can easly see where my problem is. Kickdrums, male vocals, bass guitars, etc are left behind. Mids follow the story up to the upper mids region, where from there it’s whatever. Coming from a midbass/midcentric library, this is a problem real quick. The way presentation and tuning is done by Teas on this region is better, for me and for my library. Of course clarity and detail are a bloobath that Variations wins.​

graph (7)

• Treble/Upper treble: Pretty good texture, ESTs well done. Above average detail and air on there. It gets hot sometimes for me, since to get the volume on the mids I need, I raise up the volume and voilá. Still, doubt this will be a problem to libraries different than mine. It has nice extension, nothing really to point here.

Overall/First conclusions:

Variations is a great IEM. They sounds more monitor-a-like that I thought, with great sub-bass emphasis. If the mids were slightly different on the tuning part, this would probably be my end-game. Pretty sure these fit any library for people that like more neutral signatures with sub-bass boosts, like Dusk. Technically they are on god tier. If your library is sub-bass based, for instance, Massive Attack or Pop, this are a gem, no doubt. S-Tier recommendation if they suit your library. I’ll give a couple more spins in the next hours.
Variations is a dynamic driver iem. 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210901-182600__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20210901-182600__01.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back