Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #9,737 of 11,918
Oh, since I‘m new here I guess I could give some introductory words.

I‘ve been into audio and higher-end gear since January of this year, although I‘ve slowly been getting into it over the course of 2020, and it‘s been a passionate hobby of mine since.

I got my first really good IEM this Febuary with the Blessing 2 Dusk and I‘ve been really happy with them. While not having a big or spacious sound stage, instrument and music separation is one of it‘s highlights, along with the ability to hear each part at a high resolution. Bass is really, really fun, especially given the impact that the B2D hits you with. It has a certain authority while not being overpowering. Mids sound crisp and clean, however slightly favoring female vocals over male ones. The Treble is the only thing that took me a bit to get used to, being a bit aggressive compared to the Bass and Mids, but far from unbearable. After a Bit it came across as very pronounced and detailed, although lacking a bit of authority and „sparkle“. All in all, a highly enjoyable IEM.

I run the B2D balanced, at first out of my BTR5 and now Hidizs S9 Pro, and use the Spinfit CP155-S Tips.

Other gear I own include the Sennheiser HD560S, HD600 and Hifiman HE400se, with an Atom Amp+ on the way to power those better.

As for future stops, given that I enjoy a good amount of electronic music, my next purchase will be the Moondrop Variations next month.
You described the B2D very well and it echoes my experience. You should try the limpid pros on them for a bit airier sound.

You're gonna love the Variations for electronic music. I've been kinda missing mine. 🥲

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #9,739 of 11,918
as we have been talking about tips and cables lately. My arias with tripowin zonie and bgvp E01 tips. Compared to stock tips I get a much better seal leading to fuller richer sound . Wasn't too impressed with the arias out of the box but now they sound awesome.

Attachments

• aria_zonie_BGVP.jpg
    aria_zonie_BGVP.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #9,740 of 11,918
For the Arias, try some Comply foams. I actually use one size smaller than normal and they fit perfectly. They tighten up the bass and deepen the soundstage compared to the CP145 tips I was using before, but gives up a tiny bit of upper treble. I prefer the Complys for casual listening. After all, I'm not listening to the Arias for their raw detail anyway. It makes them better all around.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #9,742 of 11,918
For the Arias, try some Comply foams. I actually use one size smaller than normal and they fit perfectly. They tighten up the bass and deepen the soundstage compared to the CP145 tips I was using before, but gives up a tiny bit of upper treble. I prefer the Complys for casual listening. After all, I'm not listening to the Arias for their raw detail anyway. It makes them better all around.
To me this is actually one of the Aria's unique strengths- its tuning and driver performance is so versatile that a simple tip change can cater to people desiring opposite traits even. And on top of the tip swap there is also the option to change cables or mod the filters :smile:

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #9,743 of 11,918
Which tips you using there?
Sorry I missed this question. After spending money testing out different tips I found this eartip. Funny it’s a leftover from a old Jlab wireless earphones my spouse bought years ago. I ended up getting the best fit and there also wide bore and a shorter height than the epro’s with a similar sound. Silicone a bit stiffer but since they fit me better I decided just buy another pack of them and take a break from tip searching.

https://www.jlab.com/collections/earbud-replacements/products/replacement-gel-eartip-set

Aug 21, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #9,744 of 11,918
Speaking of Epros the EP01 in M and S have arrived. My initial fears which held me back from ordering them proved founded- in S they are slightly too small and the M is slightly too large for my ears. With a 2mm diameter difference between sizes one would expect them to have filler sizes like MS and such :cry:

Aug 21, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #9,746 of 11,918
Speaking of Epros the EP01 in M and S have arrived. My initial fears which held me back from ordering them proved founded- in S they are slightly too small and the M is slightly too large for my ears. With a 2mm diameter difference between sizes one would expect them to have filler sizes like MS and such :cry:
That's disappointing :frowning2:

Aug 21, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #9,747 of 11,918
For my Blessing 2 Dusk, I have settled on JVC Spiral Dots L. Good clarity and comfort. The stiffer tips I usually use aren't comfortable because of the huge nozzles. The Spiral Dots are very soft and have a wide opening. Good match for the B2D.
I'm curious to try the Radius Deep Mount tips I have ordered from Japan :)
Radius Deep Mount tips have a unique sound signature, I'm sure you'll find them interesting! The Spiral Dot ++ is even softer than the original SDs, but have a slightly different sound signature

Aug 21, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #9,748 of 11,918
I think if you invert the small it ends up being a bit wider. @IEMusic and @ehjie are well-versed with inverting tips, including the ePros. They might be of help.

Aug 21, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #9,749 of 11,918
Aug 22, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #9,750 of 11,918
DSC09079.jpg

The Moondrop Variations is a great tribrid and a great IEM period, and is worth taking a look at for anyone interested in tribrid IEMs or thinking about making a jump out of the budget end of the IEM pool. That said, I am not convinced electrostatic drivers offer any real benefits over balanced armatures.

My full review, with measurements, a comparison with the Moondrop S8, and additional images, is available on my blog:

https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/moondrop-variations-review-bedc9f5df82

Users who are viewing this thread

Back