Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #7,156 of 11,979
So this is between the KXXS and Starfield? That would be quite a crowded line up for Moondrop.

My interest is piqued. Nice looking body. I am sure Moondrop will tune this well. The earguides look way too thick for comfort.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #7,157 of 11,979
So this is between the KXXS and Starfield? That would be quite a crowded line up for Moondrop.
Thats where the KXXX is lol.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #7,159 of 11,979
Feb 20, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #7,160 of 11,979
This new 1DD is called Aria and it seems it'll be a slightly budget KXXS according to their staff on discord.

From their announcement post on weibo:

unknown.png

mmexport1609453147579.jpg
Interesting! From Moondrop’s previous taste, I can speculate it’s inspired name from Aria the undine.. sounds like a transparent sibling of Starfield.

Attachments

• 8F253F7E-45CC-4C0E-9ED6-5E155D3DA803.jpeg
    8F253F7E-45CC-4C0E-9ED6-5E155D3DA803.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 20, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #7,161 of 11,979
Good job - Cloris @ Shenzhenaudio 💖💖💖
Hi Cloris,
Please say thanks to Bonnie! I got a quick shipping status response on Softears RSV that I placed order earlier !
It seems a nice siblings of moondrop S8, as both Moondrop/Softears shares a part of R&D. I ordered blessing2 from you guys too, and the mid range with Softears tuned BA is just a perfect tone!
Hope RSV is the endgame for me.

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #7,162 of 11,979

Got it. Drop has a way of making good looking items look drab and bland. Plus their coatings are notorious for flaking away, like the MEE Pinnacle X Drop collaboration. I still appreciate Drop but their finishes are... ugh.

edit: spelling

I did an experiment today. I took the filters out of one of my Starfields. I also did an A/B comparison with my other unit with filters. What a difference! Some good but some bad. First, the bass. If you were ever wondering what a Starfield with better bass texture and less "pilloweyness" would sound like, it is there when the filters are out. The trade off is a boosted upper midrange. You end up with a moderate v-shape fr response. If Moondrop would/could refine the Starfield's filters it would take the Starfield up a SQ notch.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #7,163 of 11,979
That Aria even uses the SF/KXXS/X housing LMAO.

Please tune it DF neutral.. We have enough Harman at that price point!
Got it. Drop has a way of making good looking items look drab and bland. Plus their coatings are notorious for flaking away, like the MEE Pinnacle X Drop collaboration. I still appreciate Drop but their finishes are... ugh.

edit: spelling

I did an experiment today. I took the filters out of one of my Starfields. I also did an A/B comparison with my other unit with filters. What a difference! Some good but some bad. First, the bass. If you were ever wondering what a Starfield with better bass texture and less "pilloweyness" would sound like, it is there when the filters are out. The trade off is a boosted upper midrange. You end up with a moderate v-shape fr response. If Moondrop would/could refine the Starfield's filters it would take the Starfield up a SQ notch.
Yeah, I changed my SF's filter to an aftermarket 2-layer filter, and got the same improvement in the sound (although I reckon to a lesser extent because I put a filter back in)

The seller claims it's a Moondrop 2-layer filter and I really hope it's not because it would be very disappointing if Moondrop created a new filter with a different (much worse) sound.

Anyhoo, you got me interested in trying out other types of filters. Maybe I can get even less pilloweyness!

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #7,164 of 11,979
That Aria even uses the SF/KXXS/X housing LMAO.

Please tune it DF neutral.. We have enough Harman at that price point!

If it is indeed DF neutral (and I would expect as such, given the recent lineup), they may well be a future acquisition.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #7,169 of 11,979
Wow, what a horrible, terrible, egregious marketing decision. I hope it's a codename or a joke.
Not a joke. Moondrop like to do that just like their crescent too. Even when i bought the aria, it was a refurnished unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back