Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #6,676 of 11,979
The moondrop "filters" are just nozzle protectors to prevent wax and dust from getting inside. I don't think they have any sound-changing properties.

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #6,679 of 11,979
Nov 23, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #6,680 of 11,979
So much to appreciate about Moondrop's IEMs. Except for their nozzles. There's no ridge to keep the tips from slipping off during removal. Most of the posters in this thread probably don't have a problem with their nozzles, but it's such a basic, simple fix. Baffling they haven't bothered to address it. Like, at all.

Nov 23, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #6,681 of 11,979
So much to appreciate about Moondrop's IEMs. Except for their nozzles. There's no ridge to keep the tips from slipping off during removal. Most of the posters in this thread probably don't have a problem with their nozzles, but it's such a basic, simple fix. Baffling they haven't bothered to address it. Like, at all.
If you experience the issue of the tips sliding off the nozzles, then there must be some buildup of oil. Take the tips off, wash them with soap (if using silicones), and clean the IEM nozzles themselves with wiping alcohol to remove any residues from the nozzles. I've never experienced the eartip sliding off the nozzle when pulling the IEM out of my ear. And I have several different models, with and without a ridge on the nozzle.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #6,683 of 11,979
yeah maybe for next generation we'll try to shrink the nozzle back a little to keep the ridge
Our products in this generation mostly got a large nozzle for more air inside the sound chamber, it turned out okay in prototyping so we never expect the tips to become slippery in some users hands...:deadhorse:

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Nov 23, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #6,684 of 11,979
Nov 24, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #6,685 of 11,979
Nov 25, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #6,686 of 11,979
The moondrop "filters" are just nozzle protectors to prevent wax and dust from getting inside. I don't think they have any sound-changing properties.
The S8/B2 filters, yes, while the Starfield/KXXS/SSR/SSP filters have a cloth layer to smooth the mids/treble peaks.
Wow, that’s a strong peak smoothing effect the filter has.

I was going to say I definitely noticed a difference the filters had. See my measurements on a set I thought was ruined before the replacement filters became available. A lot of the screens do impact sound, so when people remove the mesh screens and claim a "veil" has been lifted is normally because now the fitlered peaks are present. :beyersmile: The Kanas Pro filter seems to be centered at around ~2.4Khz, which also affects the 2nd harmonic at the ~4.8khz mark.

1606288286639.png

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #6,687 of 11,979
I'm considering taking advantage of the current 15% discount offer on the Blessing 2. I currently only have one IEM (ER4XR), that I use with an EQ app called Wavelet on my LG V30. This improves the ER4XR tonality quite a bit. Can I expect much of an upgrade from the B2? Wider stage, better imaging and ideally better detail would be great. Tonality is not such a big deal, since I can EQ effectively.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #6,688 of 11,979
Not really
https://banbeu.com/graph/iem/moondrop-starfield/

Haven't seen B2, but this is the Starfield one
I was going to say I definitely noticed a difference the filters had. See my measurements on a set I thought was ruined before the replacement filters became available. A lot of the screens do impact sound, so when people remove the mesh screens and claim a "veil" has been lifted is normally because now the fitlered peaks are present. :beyersmile: The Kanas Pro filter seems to be centered at around ~2.4Khz, which also affects the 2nd harmonic at the ~4.8khz mark.

1606288286639.png
Thanks a lot for the information and graphs! Now to figure out which screens to buy. I wonder if the different screens are “tuned” differently, or are just of different diameters.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #6,689 of 11,979
Nov 25, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #6,690 of 11,979
yeah maybe for next generation we'll try to shrink the nozzle back a little to keep the ridge
Our products in this generation mostly got a large nozzle for more air inside the sound chamber, it turned out okay in prototyping so we never expect the tips to become slippery in some users hands...:deadhorse:
Knowing that you did it for acoustic reasons makes me feel better about why you made the design choice. But who says you can't keep the nozzle the same diameter and also add a ridge? Would that just destroy the delicate balance between tip and nozzle? :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back