Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #5,641 of 11,979
Now, an approx. $50+/- single BA IEM with a neutral/reference tuning, and superb isolation, would be a real gem! Such a product could serve as the best affordable stage monitor. It would definitely have to be <$100, o/w it would be going up against Etymotic.
Edit: actually, I don’t how good the isolation of the SSR can be. Maybe it can already serve in this capacity.

Some of the Audiosense budget models which are pure BA setups cost $50ish and are rather neutralish with good isolation and good fit. TBH I've not found excellent isolation in most single DD sets (as they are generally vented) compared to unvented BA types.

I doubt SSR will isolate as great as the etys and multi BA types, but SSR looks like it can be a possible ety killer with a diffuse field tuning but not in the deep insertion style of the etys, and at an affordable $40 pricing. Can't wait for reviews on SSR!

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #5,642 of 11,979
It’s very exciting to see high quality, affordable, reference/neutrally tuned products come tor market, instead of only V-shaped IEMs. While I wouldn’t use one as my EDC, due to my personal preferences, it is now affordable enough for everyone to own one as an actual “reference”. Tin T2 Plus may also fall into this category.

Now, an approx. $50+/- single BA IEM with a neutral/reference tuning, and superb isolation, would be a real gem! Such a product could serve as the best affordable stage monitor. It would definitely have to be <$100, o/w it would be going up against Etymotic.
Edit: actually, I don’t how good the isolation of the SSR can be. Maybe it can already serve in this capacity.
Well, SSR is a single DD

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Jun 13, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #5,643 of 11,979
It’s very exciting to see high quality, affordable, reference/neutrally tuned products come tor market, instead of only V-shaped IEMs. While I wouldn’t use one as my EDC, due to my personal preferences, it is now affordable enough for everyone to own one as an actual “reference”. Tin T2 Plus may also fall into this category.

bro that profile pic....

im actually glad they went with single DD for reference, u get reference FR without analytical nature of Ba, would be cool to see comparisons between these and ER2XRs(and ER4XRs) despite price diffs :)

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #5,644 of 11,979
TBH I've not found excellent isolation in most single DD sets (as they are generally vented) compared to unvented BA types.
I agree.

The Etymotic ER2 series are the only single DD IEMs with superb isolation that I know of. I really can’t tell the difference between the isolation of my ER3 and ER2. I don’t know how it’s this way though.

Edit: I‘m glad a DD is being used in the SSR, but a single BA “version” of the SSR, with great isolation, would be a welcome addition, I would think.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #5,645 of 11,979
Please, more sound impressions and comparisons! 😃
OK! This from my blog...

This is a darn good earphone!
What stands out so far – after limited listening time – is:

• Signature: fast driver, strikes the balance between neutral/analytical and “musical/fun”…whatever that means (neutral midrange is Moondrop’s house tuning; new is a toned-down bass).
  • Tonality: great tonal accuracy.
  • Good balance and fluidity of presentation…really homogeneous.
  • Dry, linear, punchy kickass bass that is NOT overbearing. A great balance between quantity and quality.
  • Midrange as always not the richest, but good. That well-dosed, non-bleeding bass leaves room for good clarity and cleanliness in the midrange.
  • No overdone Chi-Fi peak/upper midrange…a bit of extra energy added. Adds transparency when listening at moderate volumes.
  • Highs are somewhat rolled off…doesn’t matter, the upper midrange helps out.
  • Soundstage is rather wide, not very deep and tall.
  • Great spatial cues: really nice three-dimensionality.
  • Amazing detail resolution for its class.
  • Great isolation and fit….the shells are really SMALL.
  • Pliable, pearly white DETACHABLE 0.78 mm 2-pin cable, round cross section; no chin slider.
  • Can it play with the “kilobuck” boys…you know how much I ‘”like” this term? Haha, what’s mainly missing is the size of the stage…yes, it is wide but not deep and not tall. Great for the $100 range, and bonus at its $40 asking price. But the tonality is outstanding and probably can compete with more expensive models.
  • The Crescent was a premium earphone with sloppy technicalities imo, the SSR is technically very good and better tuned. Moondrop got away from the Harman tuning and – yes, hold yourself – they flattened the curve. Well done!
  • I have been using the SSR for some time now and LOVE it. Why pay more? I would take it over the bass KPE any day (read the “historic” KPE reviews from last year and notice the weird cries for MORE bass…once again, LESS IS MORE).
  • The Moondrop SSR is “fricken” good and approved by audioreviews.org.
  • Full review to follow…needs some time to sink in.

IMG_1591.jpeg

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #5,646 of 11,979
Jun 13, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #5,647 of 11,979
Some of the Audiosense budget models which are pure BA setups cost $50ish and are rather neutralish with good isolation and good fit. TBH I've not found excellent isolation in most single DD sets (as they are generally vented) compared to unvented BA types.

I doubt SSR will isolate as great as the etys and multi BA types, but SSR looks like it can be a possible ety killer with a diffuse field tuning but not in the deep insertion style of the etys, and at an affordable $40 pricing. Can't wait for reviews on SSR!
It isolates pretty well as the shells need to be inserted rather deeply.

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #5,648 of 11,979
OK! This from my blog...

This is a darn good earphone!
What stands out so far – after limited listening time – is:

• Signature: fast driver, strikes the balance between neutral/analytical and “musical/fun”…whatever that means (neutral midrange is Moondrop’s house tuning; new is a toned-down bass).
  • Tonality: great tonal accuracy.
  • Good balance and fluidity of presentation…really homogeneous.
  • Dry, linear, punchy kickass bass that is NOT overbearing. A great balance between quantity and quality.
  • Midrange as always not the richest, but good. That well-dosed, non-bleeding bass leaves room for good clarity and cleanliness in the midrange.
  • No overdone Chi-Fi peak/upper midrange…a bit of extra energy added. Adds transparency when listening at moderate volumes.
  • Highs are somewhat rolled off…doesn’t matter, the upper midrange helps out.
  • Soundstage is rather wide, not very deep and tall.
  • Great spatial cues: really nice three-dimensionality.
  • Amazing detail resolution for its class.
  • Great isolation and fit….the shells are really SMALL.
  • Pliable, pearly white DETACHABLE 0.78 mm 2-pin cable, round cross section; no chin slider.
  • Can it play with the “kilobuck” boys…you know how much I ‘”like” this term? Haha, what’s mainly missing is the size of the stage…yes, it is wide but not deep and not tall. Great for the $100 range, and bonus at its $40 asking price. But the tonality is outstanding and probably can compete with more expensive models.
  • The Crescent was a premium earphone with sloppy technicalities imo, the SSR is technically very good and better tuned. Moondrop got away from the Harman tuning and – yes, hold yourself – they flattened the curve. Well done!
  • I have been using the SSR for some time now and LOVE it. Why pay more? I would take it over the bass KPE any day (read the “historic” KPE reviews from last year and notice the weird cries for MORE bass…once again, LESS IS MORE).
  • The Moondrop SSR is “fricken” good and approved by audioreviews.org.
  • Full review to follow…needs some time to sink in.

IMG_1591.jpeg
Took us some pain to tame dlc diaphragm with better damping, kpe do have enough bass, but when the dampinh is not done right, there will be a treble shout on upper mid, which makes less experienced Listener to assume it lacks bass.(personally if you listen to KXXS with fast paced metal tracks like Slipknot it still reveals some of the weakness, but much better than kpe anyway)

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #5,649 of 11,979
Took us some pain to tame dlc diaphragm with better damping, kpe do have enough bass, but when the dampinh is not done right, there will be a treble shout on upper mid, which makes less experienced Listener to assume it lacks bass.(personally if you listen to KXXS with fast paced metal tracks like Slipknot it still reveals some of the weakness, but much better than kpe anyway)
There is quite an evolution in Moondrop's single DD tuning: from Harman Kardon Neutral to Diffuse Field Neutral. I did not like the KPE at all, but loved the Crescent, Spaceship, and Starfield. Don't know the KXXS but can live without it since I have the Starfield.

Ever been to 三星堆?

frontis san3.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #5,650 of 11,979

Hmm I'm using DLC. There are peaky treble but it's rare and it may be the quality mastering of the track.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #5,651 of 11,979
There is quite an evolution in Moondrop's single DD tuning: from Harman Kardon Neutral to Diffuse Field Neutral. I did not like the KPE at all, but loved the Crescent, Spaceship, and Starfield. Don't know the KXXS but can live without it since I have the Starfield.

Ever been to 三星堆?

frontis san3.jpeg
We knew it, but we didn't actually been there.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #5,652 of 11,979
Jun 14, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #5,653 of 11,979
Can't wait for the kxxx to come out. A kxxs at a lower price would be ideal for me. I had the chance to try several iems at various price points at E-Earphone in Japan. Among them were the S8, kxxs and starfield. My winner for that day was the kxxs. They just sounded so clear and detailed to me. The only iems that sounded a bit better to me were the S8 and the CA Andromeda perhaps, but those are in a completely different price category of course. Contrary to a lot of the things I read online, I could also notice a clear difference between the starfield and the kxxs. Maybe the starfield unit at the store was faulty or I was listening at a different volume level. Anyway, I came to the conclusion that the kxxs is worth the price difference.

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #5,654 of 11,979
Moondrop KXXX VS Tanchjim Hana is gonna be fun to see.

btw, the graph for the SSR is up on crins site.

graph (8).png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back