Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #4,156 of 11,979
I'll check in with my impressions here since I never got around to posting them:
Moondrop Spaceship: Sibilant upper mids, whenever there are female vocals, it grates on my ear and makes it feel uncomfortable, a fatal flaw similar to the Advanced Alpha headphones. Bass quality is kind of lacking, attack isn't sufficiently pronounced, but it's a cheap IEM anyway. I would prefer the fit of the final IEMs over these.

Moondrop A8: Currently my daily driver. Unsure if it's unit variation or whatever, midbass quantity is too much if you compare it with other IEMs. Technically proficient, stands on its own feet in imaging and soundstage vs IEMs like the Hidition Viento, QDC 8 driver lines. With the amount of brain burn-in I have, the midbass is no longer a problem. Mids are slightly recessed, but female vocals sound clear and smooth, while male vocals are less recessed than the female vocals (note I do not usually listen to male vocal tracks) A8 isn't very picky of its sources, won't hiss that much unlike some other BA IEMs, and generally performs fairly well regardless of source. If you'd like more detailed opinions, just ask on what aspect of the sound you'd like my opinion on for them.

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #4,157 of 11,979
Nov 8, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #4,158 of 11,979
My friend later posted the comments and considerations of DR2.
They are good though. The bass is much deeper and punchier than the no.3, which was more relaxed compared to DR2. Still a price to performance IEM to me

Nov 9, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #4,164 of 11,979
Goddamnit Moondrop. Just got the KXXS and out of the box I'm going to return them even though they sound pretty good ootb. This is the exact signature I'm looking for but they had to to design it with a completely smooth nozzle. Why would you do this. First the TAPE now this. :sob:
Is the KPE nozzle the same smooth cylinder?

Nov 9, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #4,165 of 11,979
Goddamnit Moondrop. Just got the KXXS and out of the box I'm going to return them even though they sound pretty good ootb. This is the exact signature I'm looking for but they had to to design it with a completely smooth nozzle. Why would you do this. First the TAPE now this. :sob:
Is the KPE nozzle the same smooth cylinder?[/QUOTE

Give them at least 70-100 hrs of burn in. They sound 100% different/ better after this. I haven't had any issues with the nozzle being smooth. All my tips stay on perfectly.

Nov 9, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #4,166 of 11,979
Is the KPE nozzle the same smooth cylinder?

This simple mod may help you with KXXS.
No. KPE has a lip on the nozzle. But search for "slip-stop" within this thread, some people have issues with the tip getting slippery on the nozzle but you can fix it with a spacer.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #4,167 of 11,979
This simple mod may help you with KXXS.
No. KPE has a lip on the nozzle. But search for "slip-stop" within this thread, some people have issues with the tip getting slippery on the nozzle but you can fix it with a spacer.

That's even more upsetting lol. Why would they take a perfectly good nozzle and change it to this monstrosity. I'll take a look into the heat rings but would prefer to not make a permanent mod to them in case I need to return them. Thanks for the advice.

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #4,168 of 11,979
That's even more upsetting lol. Why would they take a perfectly good nozzle and change it to this monstrosity. I'll take a look into the heat rings but would prefer to not make a permanent mod to them in case I need to return them. Thanks for the advice.

It's not the end of the world, cut an eighth of an inch off of the center core of a spare eartip and super glue it to the end of the nozzle and you will have a semi permanent lip.
Or find a pair of KPEs while you still can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back