Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #3,811 of 11,979
how does this kxxs compared with Hifiman RE800?

I have RE600S, not 800,dont know how similar they are.

But the 600S is very very clean and likes to isolate each sonic range into its own thing. The KXXS has a more stich or glue effect where the background resonance stiches each range together into one 'piece' (harmony)

Hi, i am about to pull the trigger with the kxxs. Just got some questions:

1. Can my btr3 drive it well? or is the tfz. no.3 a better compliment with the btr3? I am looking for a bodied sound that has a natural and clean sound, more like a fuller mh755, but still as clean as the 755. i am also open for other iem suggestions.

2. Will I have problems with the seal if i have small ears? The fiio fa7 fits me well with the large bass tips. Thanks!

Yes, I have BTR3 and have used KXXS with FiiO Q5S, it barely requires any power.

FA7 and FH5 are pretty hard to fit due to the shell, if you can fit those, im sure you can fit the Moondrop KXXS

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #3,812 of 11,979
With KPE, closing or reducing body vent (driver back venting) doesn`t do pretty much anything actually. I can do measurement if You want but I did not hear any noticeable difference.
BUT... try closing or reducing nozzle vent (driver front venting) and You get noticeable change in sound: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...ressions-thread.894139/page-240#post-15063386
There's an old joke that I can't really retell here. But the punchline is apropos, "wrong hole!!! wrong hole!!!"

As you stated, the smaller port is the one to cover. Thanks again

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #3,813 of 11,979
T8iE is certainly overall significantly better but I haven't used either of those in quite a little while due to purchasing way too many IEMs in a row lately so I can't precisely break down why and how now.

I think you should look into trying out the ATH-CKR100, a mid centric(ish) but thick sounding earphone with upper mid boost that has excellent clarity and lots of body to male voices as well as the best and most extended bass I've heard so far and puts you right in the middle of the music.

By contrast T8iE puts some distance between you and the music and gives you the feeling you are a connoisseur (as in people who eat gourmet food and wine).

I have the MKII which, from the little information that's available has less bass and slightly more mids & highs.
Resolution, speed and sound stage are really what stands out for me. As @chickenmoon wrote the soundstage is so deep that the music feels a little further away, but it's very precisely layered in front of you. Take a Jazz piece like Diana Krall - she's on a stage in front of you rather than whispering into your ear.
KPE (and from the little I have heard it also Oxygen) are more Harman tuned - emphasized sub bass and mids. T8iE MKII is flatter, but by no means flat. Upper/mid bass is much more present, mids are less elevated. As such more "balanced" IMO.
Tuning is one thing, but what really stands out for me is the speed, detail and accuracy of the driver. But they are picky about tips and seal. Best results IMO with Spinfits, although a bit bassy, want to try a @james444 mod by sticking a tiny roll of Micropore tape between the nozzle and the tip to create a minimal gap.
The KPE is slower, especially in the bass, which IMO emphasizes the bass even more. In the mids they are what I'd describe as "floaty" kind of reverberating, which in some sense feels holographic, in the sense of being a less defined yet transparent image rather than the real thing.
The T8iE MKII is textured and detailed, with a much more real presentation.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #3,814 of 11,979
I recently got a replacement pair of KP, and it seems to have slight channel imbalance, and I think this was the case with my previous pair as well. Left slightly louder than the right.

I agree with others that said the KP lacks a bit of mid-bass or sharper bass impact. Spaceship does that and it would be nice if they can tune it with sharper mid-bass impact. I think this is why I initially found the bass sounding a bit rounded or boomy side although well controlled and quick (if driven hard, which is common among dynamic drivers).

Still, musically engaging that I like listening to the KP.

For fit, I'm no issue with extended nozzle, and I like the extension for my ears.

I recently got to try out the QDC Anole VX and the cable wires looked identical to the KP cable wires?! Hmmm.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #3,815 of 11,979
IMG_20190814_102737.jpg

8-wire Ares II from Effect Audio can beef up the bass and vocals a bit if you are into sweeter vocals and slightly more punch on the KXXS. KXXS do respond well to cable rolling. Such an addicted hobby.

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #3,816 of 11,979
JVC Spiral Dot Size ML took 6 weeks to come from Japan, but so worth it. I usually use the standard M, but I believe the large nozzle size on the KPE changed that up a bit. The ML give me such a nice seal and boost the subbass and soundstage for me! :)

Aug 16, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #3,817 of 11,979
Aug 16, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #3,819 of 11,979
Thanks! Good point. I added a link to the old review.

Aug 17, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #3,820 of 11,979
KXXS and Kanas Pro

Kanas Pro has a more pronounced mid bass bump, more impact. Kanas is warmer with more coloring and resonance around the mid range (think flucuations of heat you see off a hot summer's road) compared to KXXS which is cleaner in the mids albet slightly.

I found the Kanas Pro more 'direct' sounding with the KXXS slightly more laid back and mellowed out.

Kanas Pro mids are 'flatter' (some may even say thinner) throughout with a sharp increase in the upper mid section causing slight inflections and edge. The KXXS on the other end is more bodied but also has less edge.

One thing is for sure, both are extremely lateral to each other. I don't think having both would really be a plus to your audio inventory unless you are a collector. They have very similar sonic signatures, build, and fit. They compliment each other in various ways.

I have qualities I like of the Kanas Pro (thicker bass, and warmer general sound signature and the more 'active' of the two) and qualities I like of the KXXS (full bodied mid range, and more balanced sound sig) but both are excellent for the price.

The obvious answer to "BUT WHAT IF I WANT QUALITIES OF BOTH" is.... $$$$.

Is the price difference of around £45 for the kxxs a reasonable ask?

I get from most reviews the kxxs is more a side grade or has only subtle changes?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #3,821 of 11,979
Is the price difference of around £45 for the kxxs a reasonable ask?

I get from most reviews the kxxs is more a side grade or has only subtle changes?

They are more like sisters, the price is almost irrelevant in that the KXXS is more expensive as it just came out and is taking the original price of the Kanas Pro while the KP is one Drops and discounted. As in, dont add the 45 to the 'value' or it being better, its simply a number due to supply/demand and it being newer.

If you want a smoooother sound sig with less 'stuff' going around (mids and lows not as active or punch), go KXXS

If you more into trance, EDM, or stuff that likes punchy dynamics, go KP.

If you like anime chicks, KXXS. My friend was willing to drop $180 at the show just because the KXXS box had an anime waifu on the front.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #3,822 of 11,979
if you are into EDM go for the regular Kanas and forget about the KP, regular Kanas is a monster that likes high volume, it will rattle your skull, i love that thing
also i should notice that i am drinking red wine for a couple of hours and i am using them right now with deep, dark DOOM metal and the smile is not coming out of my face anytime soon

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #3,824 of 11,979
Moondrop Solis (4BA, 2 Sonion Electrostat)

DgFK6dw.jpg

It's a chunky boii all right. If you have small ears...yeah the UIEM version will not work.

The best 'sound' is when I open my jaw slightly enough to insert say a chap stick or pencil in. This is also how they do custom ear impressions as well.

Fairly thick and dark sounding but with wonderful harmony. Not overly vibrant or detailed but smooth like a baby seal.

MD is saying itll be "around $1000" for Universal model but this may change subject to import fees/trade war.

----

It's got the things i like about the KXXS mixed in with the KP.

A smooth and fairly flat mid range of the KXXS with that slight upper mid sparkle snap of the KP. General sound signature, closer to the KXXS but even then, its hard to compare as they dont sound that similar.

Both KXXS and KP are clean sounding in the background without much darkness or THICC feeling. The ES drivers really add weight and authority to the rear of every sound.

It's a better general use sounding IEM whereas the K and KP may be more suited for those that like EDM/Trance.

The Solis is that kind person in class that doesn't overly stand out. They ain't the frat boys, the soccer players or smartest and analytical. Rather, its that individual that is just welcoming and acts as a glue. The sound sig of the Solis doesn't put it in the upper echelon for detail, resolve or transparency.

It's neither bassy enough or impactful enough for me to say Trance/EDM/pop heads should go to it. It's soundstage isn't wide or standout enough for me to recommend it for those.

It's a great high end IEM however for those that listen to a bit of everything. It's extremely forgiving of any genre you put at it and musical.

There's no overly noticeable harsh peaks or faults with it. It's simply a balanced sounding IEM that does its best at being a jack of all trades.

If you read that this has two Electrostatic drivers and 4 BA and think this is going to give you the detail, transparency and resolve of STAX. Then think again.

Its harmonious sound is more akin to that of a well tuned Sennheiser Dynamic driver headphone.

-
This is not a review, just fireside impressions. I have not been asked to provide a review, just to give feedback to community

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #3,825 of 11,979
Moondrop Solis (4BA, 2 Sonion Electrostat)

DgFK6dw.jpg

It's a chunky boii all right. If you have small ears...yeah the UIEM version will not work.

The best 'sound' is when I open my jaw slightly enough to insert say a chap stick or pencil in. This is also how they do custom ear impressions as well.

Fairly thick and dark sounding but with wonderful harmony. Not overly vibrant or detailed but smooth like a baby seal.

MD is saying itll be "around $1000" for Universal model but this may change subject to import fees/trade war.
piques my interest.

Just out of curiosity, anybody heard another iem with the Sonion electrostats? They fit a tiny transformer inside to amplify the voltage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back