Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #3,572 of 11,979
depends, for best experience, its a yes.. but for casual listening, its not necessary a must. Your phone should be ok to drive them with around 70-80% volume.
With this talk about how important strong drive is for the dynamic drivers, I think there's a greater chance of people conceiving the idea that the BA drivers are quicker than dynamic drivers due to the sensitivity and ease of drive-ability of the BA drivers with most sources, and dynamic drivers requiring more stronger drive-ability and bass sound limp when not driven strongly enough. And that's where the misconception of dynamic drivers generally being slower comes from, not being driven well enough for the dynamic driver to respond quickly.

I think in the past I've heard of hybrid with dynamic, and bass responding with slight phase delay, but I don't notice that with single dynamic like KP. I was surprised how quickly the bass, and thus the driver retracts back to it's initial state given how much area the dynamic driver has for air resistance compared to BA.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #3,573 of 11,979
from what i've heard (own no 3 and KP not KXXS), they are about similar, same smoothness, competitive, or side grade, just about preferences here. One have pros and cons depends on which section you are after. Punchy mid bass along with some sub bass rumbles goes to no.3 , soundstage section won by KP, high mids clarity on KP side (with trade off that 3khz peak on higher volumes while no 3 smoother/more balance on that area), thicker/fuller mids i prefer no. 3, easy to drive definitely no3 by far margin, micro details/separation on no.3 by little bit.
For acoustic, accapella, vocal, jazz, KP suits me better. For rock, pop, some tracks with drums and bass slam, i prefer my no 3.
again this is KP to compare with, KXXS from what I've read will be slight refinement to KP/
note to @redrol since you posted on sony thread, I own M7 now and just wow. You are interested to M9 as your endgame right? just do it, you wont miss Z5, EX800 and maybe A8. They are very smooth and have crazy well textured bass that goes deep down made you forget about they're coming from BAs. My EX1000 stays on cupboard.

this is correct, i won't say better, maybe better in value, they have pros and cons, only preference matters here. They're about in same level but no3 indeed more fun because of the bass. a bit mid bass blees, too big for me, but KP's mid bass way too thin. My ideal would be between no 3 and KP

here the FR graph from chinese iem thread, credits to owner, not me of course

but most user aiming for this kind of price range normally dont have high end DAP, unless they're from summit fi / TOTL iems that only buy these for fun or toy

I liked the comparison, looking for an upgrade to Ibasso IT01 and I have my eye on TFZ No.3 because of portability. I like to listen directly to my smartphone.

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #3,575 of 11,979
I just got the KXXS review unit from Linsoul this week. My initial impressions are that it's similar to Kanas Pro but warmer and has just a slightly smaller soundstage. The Kanas Pro seems a little more clean throughout and airy, but they generally sound quite similar. The warmer signature does help balance things out a bit, but I think I initially prefer the Kanas Pro, so far.

Here's my measurements of the two units along with Etymotics ER2XR in blue.

vs ER2XR KP.png

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #3,576 of 11,979
I dont think TFZ No 3 is my thing -- too v-shaped, but I can see how people do end up liking it. It's got some bass impact and some bright energy that inherently makes it sound clear. I think the Kanas Pro is still a really good balance for me between the entire spectrum and works well with many genres. The KXXS is a more musical/intimate version of the KP and makes a smooth IEM even smoother.

Cool, we got another graph of the no3 in the house! We got two graphs with the 8k peak now. Looks consistant with BGGR's graph. Do you hear the peak at 8k?

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #3,577 of 11,979
Cool, we got another graph of the no3 in the house! We got two graphs with the 8k peak now. Looks consistant with BGGR's graph. Do you hear the peak at 8k?

I only listened to it briefly, but yea, I think that's the sharp treble I didnt like when I first popped it on with some Chromeo tracks. It's just a tad too bright and splashy for me.

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #3,578 of 11,979

Thanks, now i know why tfz no3 seemed similar in treble with bgvp dm6 i have. This 8k peek and i clearly heard it. That's why i said it is harsher with some sources than kanas pro that is smooth and easy to listen. Tfz no3 has much more harsher treble and with sources that has not rolled treble and not dark or warm it is a little bit too much for my taste. But at the same time tfz is more revealing, livlier and with bigger mid bass slam than kanas pro. So this is clearly advantage. Only treble should be equalized a little bit. This is my experience. Tfz good match for es100 if someone has it, it comes not very treble bright or harsh. But with much more revealing m11 this 8 k is clearly heard for my ears. That's why it is not so easy to listen, but you get unreal details and livliness from dd type iem.

Jul 14, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #3,579 of 11,979
I liked the comparison, looking for an upgrade to Ibasso IT01 and I have my eye on TFZ No.3 because of portability. I like to listen directly to my smartphone.

If you like your IT01, TFZ no 3 will suit you more with upgrade on overall resolution, clarity, forward mids. You will miss that punchy mid bass (even though IT01 more mid bass bleed), but no 3 are clearer than IT01 and better textured (i got ibasso IT01 too). And directly from smartphone, of course no 3 much more easier to drive from smartphone.

Jul 14, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #3,580 of 11,979

Based on those graphs... I`m like REALLY happy I stayed with KPE! That "~8kHz" area (true location is elsewhere for my small ears & deep fit) of No.3 would be too much in quantity for my ears and overall signature little too V-shaped.

Interesting thing though @antdroid , Your KPE line doesn`t have that 12-15kHz "peak" You talked about? Effect of foam tips or "burn-in"? I remember @vault108 measurements also had slightly "pulled down" peak up in highs after some playtime.

Pity they pulled plug on KPE as it is special imho.

If you like your IT01, TFZ no 3 will suit you more with upgrade on overall resolution, clarity, forward mids. You will miss that punchy mid bass (even though IT01 more mid bass bleed), but no 3 are clearer than IT01 and better textured (i got ibasso IT01 too). And directly from smartphone, of course no 3 much more easier to drive from smartphone.
Haven`t heard KXXS or No.3 but I think latter is straight-up upgrade to IT01 (which I have) and by price tag thus "IT01 killer". If one wishes upgrade towards more neutral signature, I guess KXXS would be better option based on graphs?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #3,581 of 11,979
I just got the KXXS review unit from Linsoul this week. My initial impressions are that it's similar to Kanas Pro but warmer and has just a slightly smaller soundstage. The Kanas Pro seems a little more clean throughout and airy, but they generally sound quite similar. The warmer signature does help balance things out a bit, but I think I initially prefer the Kanas Pro, so far.

from your FR, i can see that KXXS is a refinement of KP, ditch the cons on KP, thicker low mids and mids and a bit more punchy mid bass so dont feel hollow at that area range, smoother high mids while maintain that KP good signature. great job on measuring this and thanks. If i dont have KP and no 3 definitely will getting that KXXS

Jul 14, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #3,582 of 11,979

I hear that 8k sparkles, but not harsh, just made it more sparkles and lively compared to KP but that mid bass bleed is yes, they are too much for my taste. I would like something between KP and No 3 if I could.

Jul 14, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #3,583 of 11,979
Based on those graphs... I`m like REALLY happy I stayed with KPE! That "~8kHz" area (true location is elsewhere for my small ears & deep fit) of No.3 would be too much in quantity for my ears and overall signature little too V-shaped.

Interesting thing though @antdroid , Your KPE line doesn`t have that 12-15kHz "peak" You talked about? Effect of foam tips or "burn-in"? I remember @vault108 measurements also had slightly "pulled down" peak up in highs after some playtime.

Pity they pulled plug on KPE as it is special imho.
Foam tames treble. Treble measurements past 10k also can vary greatly and not be accurate

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #3,584 of 11,979

Will you eventually get around to trying the ti version? Multiple Chinese reviews along with audio123 have stated noticeable sound changes.

Jul 14, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #3,585 of 11,979
Will you eventually get around to trying the ti version? Multiple Chinese reviews along with audio123 have stated noticeable sound changes.

I don't plan on it unless someone let's me borrow it. Not interested in it enough to buy.

Anyway, I switched tips to Sony hybrids on the kxxs and loving how it sounds now. Better seal for me than final tips I was using maybe. Will provide more impressions later. Both KP and KXXS seem like winners to me. moondrop knows what they are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back