Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #3,211 of 11,979
i had same issue with crescent (one side started to sound very low), after first 4 hours session. inspected the mesh, vent holes.. nothing found.
opened both shells, and found that the PCB on the "damaged" driver was covering the small center hole of the driver, while the hole in the other driver was visible.
still don't know if that was the cause, because broke the wires of the driver when opening it, and i haven't soldered them back yet (i plan to do the mmcx mod on them)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #3,212 of 11,979
It's unlikely the cable, I've swapped sides and the right bud remains fine regardless of which end it's on, while the left bud remains muffled regardless of which end it's on. I don't think I have any other two pin cables unfortunately, all my other current IEMs are MMCX.

How difficult is it to remove and reinsert the mesh filter?

EDIT: I think I fixed it. I was very delicate taking the mesh out. I then listened to the IEM without the filter and the volume on the left side was fine, obviously this affected the FR, but confirmed the driver itself was likely fine. After attempting to clean and reinsert the filter a few times I think I managed to fix it. All seems fine now...Strange, the mesh didn't have any visible signs of clogging, but obviously it was enough.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #3,213 of 11,979
Well, I thought I found a good fitting set of tips for KPE but it proved ephemeral. Out of desperation I finally took someone’s tip fit mod advice and sliced off the inner barrel from another set of tips. I then cut these little rubber sleeves in half and attached them to nozzles like a spacer or washer would be. This really did the trick. I am astonished by how good KPE sounds now, by what I’ve been missing. Every tip I tried prior to this always got pushed too far down the nozzles and interfered terribly with fit. I am just like Wow at the sound. There is genuine rich balance. Using foams, small size, less spongy than Dekoni or NewBee. Slightly firmer than these. The foam cuts down on some of the sharpness of the sound too. With spin fits they sound too sharp for me. Spiral dots too. Whoever it was that suggested this hack, thank you!

Jun 20, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #3,215 of 11,979
Well, I thought I found a good fitting set of tips for KPE but it proved ephemeral. Out of desperation I finally took someone’s tip fit mod advice and sliced off the inner barrel from another set of tips. I then cut these little rubber sleeves in half and attached them to nozzles like a spacer or washer would be. This really did the trick. I am astonished by how good KPE sounds now, by what I’ve been missing. Every tip I tried prior to this always got pushed too far down the nozzles and interfered terribly with fit. I am just like Wow at the sound. There is genuine rich balance. Using foams, small size, less spongy than Dekoni or NewBee. Slightly firmer than these. The foam cuts down on some of the sharpness of the sound too. With spin fits they sound too sharp for me. Spiral dots too. Whoever it was that suggested this hack, thank you!
Glad You finally got the "right" sound out of KPE :wink:

Jun 20, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #3,217 of 11,979
tried the TFZ No 3 today

i don't think they are the type of upgrade kanas user want.

IMO not a significant upgrade altho this is from 30 minutes impression (which i think is not enough to judge so take it with a grain of salt)
How is the bass compared to kanas pro? As my tfz is coming to me so we will see soon what it gives compare to kanas. Actually i dont see till now any real upgrade from kanas pro till 400- 500 eur only sidegrades but tfz no 3 price was so good and decided to give tfz a chance. But even if it is sidegrade for this price is really good deal.

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #3,219 of 11,979
Having own a KPE I love to hear how does the Sony Ex1000 and the Ex800st compares. I might have the chance to audition it if I go Japan next month
For the EX800 try the search function. There has been so much talk about it in this thread that the moderators had to jump in to get it back on track...
It‘s all there!

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #3,220 of 11,979
How is the bass compared to kanas pro? As my tfz is coming to me so we will see soon what it gives compare to kanas. Actually i dont see till now any real upgrade from kanas pro till 400- 500 eur only sidegrades but tfz no 3 price was so good and decided to give tfz a chance. But even if it is sidegrade for this price is really good deal.

the bass probably got more quantity around midbass area.

it is slightly more emphasized than the kanas pro.

the nice part about it is that they tame the uppermid part so female voice doesn't get as shouty.

but stage wise kanas is bigger, details i think they are about the same. no 3 feels abit more detailed because everything is closer while kanas is slightly further.

it just a warmer kanas pro with uppermid/treble reduction.

upgrade from here:

EX800, its still the king of budget if u got no problem with the signature. IMO league above the kanas pro interm of technicalities. but not everyone gonna like the sound signature it can be abit ouchie afterall.

Blessing is an upgrade interm of technicalities. u get better resolution too. but the bass is not as good as kanas pro. u might not like it

honestly under 500 euro u can get Fearless S8 Pro/moondrop A8 which is a big step up from kanas Pro.

If u fancy yourself to mod

try to do the FD01 mods, i never tried it myself but people i trust tried it and they swear its one of the best DD u can get. problem is without mod it doesn't sound good at all

i totally recced the A8 if u like moondrop sig. IMO the best sounding moondrop so far.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #3,221 of 11,979
I have not stopped listening to my KPE since receiving them yesterday. :ksc75smile:

Edit: That is an accurate portrayal of me since.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #3,222 of 11,979
the bass probably got more quantity around midbass area.
I`m fine with mid-bass of KPE - I do not like any bit of "raised" mid-bass and this is why KPE is so special to me with its "dead-flat" mid-bass.
...female voice doesn't get as shouty.
No problem with that either with KPE. Not shouty female vocals to me.
but stage wise kanas is bigger, details i think they are about the same. no 3 feels abit more detailed because everything is closer while kanas is slightly further.
And this is also what I really like. KPE doesn`t have monstrous soundstage and overly artificial like ZS5v1 for example but still sounds quite "holographic/3D".
Imaging is also spot-on imho (I don`t like closed-in/in-your-face/inside headstage imaging and presentation - I like it open/airy and wide, kinda like open-back headphones (bad analogy I know).

I know if I didn`t have KPE, I would probably choose No.3 because of price and SQ but atm I`m wondering if TinHifi/Audio P1 would be upgrade in every department?
I really wish to get my hands&ears on properly done "cheap" chi-fi planar :p

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #3,223 of 11,979
I`m fine with mid-bass of KPE - I do not like any bit of "raised" mid-bass and this is why KPE is so special to me with its "dead-flat" mid-bass.

almost similar to me, but i prefer no mid bass if it bleeds but if it doesn't it gives a nice body to the music and mid bass and lower mid sounds fuller so there is that too.

total preverence tho.

No problem with that either with KPE. Not shouty female vocals to me.

yup this one is entirely subjective. they do sound sweet in most tracks. some track i need to lower the volume down.

And this is also what I really like. KPE doesn`t have monstrous soundstage and overly artificial like ZS5v1 for example but still sounds quite "holographic/3D".
Imaging is also spot-on imho (I don`t like closed-in/in-your-face/inside headstage imaging and presentation - I like it open/airy and wide, kinda like open-back headphones (bad analogy I know).

actually pretty spot on, a vent airy and stage feels much better than treble stage try to play around with the treble u will see the "airiness" from the treble. zs5 is just excessive i hate it.

kanas do have above average soundstage but they are natural from the vents.

ex800/1k is the best in this regard because of their vents.

I know if I didn`t have KPE, I would probably choose No.3 because of price and SQ but atm I`m wondering if TinHifi/Audio P1 would be upgrade in every department?
I really wish to get my hands&ears on properly done "cheap" chi-fi planar :p

price is really amazing for this set, $100 i can easily rec them to most of my friends.

As for P1, the person that i trust doesn't seem to think that highly of em and i don't think im gonna try em. IMO with kanas u should get an upgrade instead of a sidegrade. something like A8 or the likes of that.

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #3,224 of 11,979
3D printed this to protect my new toy:

20190620_085443_HDR.jpg 20190620_085514_HDR.jpg

Didn't trust the little velvet pouch in my bag.

Edit: If anyone wants one, or something similar, I would print it and ship it at cost for you, just PM me!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back