Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #3,181 of 11,918
Is that the new budget Moondrop IEM? Spaceship going for $20.

HTB1YGrqcRiE3KVjSZFMq6zQhVXaA.jpg

When you like mids...
HTB10aftcQWE3KVjSZSyq6xocXXae.jpg
Compensated graph look pretty ok.
Anyone using an upgraded cable for your KPE? Links?
No need. Stock cable is very HQ if You got unit with good soldering points.

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #3,182 of 11,918
My KPEs keep changing their sound. I think I easily have 150+ hours on them. They haven't settled in yet. Is it because I am driving them via my galaxy S8? I can't think of any other reason.
Also, people have called them very smooth. Well, mine are fairly smooth, but on some songs , they can be bright, not shrill, just bright. Is it normal for them to sound bright on some songs?

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #3,183 of 11,918
My KPEs keep changing their sound. I think I easily have 150+ hours on them. They haven't settled in yet. Is it because I am driving them via my galaxy S8? I can't think of any other reason.
Also, people have called them very smooth. Well, mine are fairly smooth, but on some songs , they can be bright, not shrill, just bright. Is it normal for them to sound bright on some songs?

Yes unfortunately, KP's Achille's heel IMO, a bit too thin in the lower mids which makes them sound too bright on some songs.

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #3,184 of 11,918
Are You sure it`s not the source gear problem? Many have issues with S8 output sounding "not great" and I have no idea how much is the power output (mA/V) of S8. Maybe also battery draining could affect sound changing? There have been gears even in DAP world that lose their SQ with battery getting low.

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #3,185 of 11,918
Yes unfortunately, KP's Achille's heel IMO, a bit too thin in the lower mids which makes them sound too bright on some songs.
I agree.
My pair sounds very natural sometimes, the other times, the tone is slightly bright with more lower treble and less mids.

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #3,186 of 11,918
Are You sure it`s not the source gear problem? Many have issues with S8 output sounding "not great" and I have no idea how much is the power output (mA/V) of S8. Maybe also battery draining could affect sound changing? There have been gears even in DAP world that lose their SQ with battery getting low.
My other IEMs sound fine with my S8. Battery draining does not affect the sound of my KPEs. The sound changes after 4-5 hours from very natural to slightly bright.

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #3,187 of 11,918
I tried so bad to like the KPE but i cant fully love it :frowning2: Why...

My relationship with KPE is like hate love story. Some songs sounds good to me. But when it gets muffle, oh ****... i do really wish it's more airy and has the open-ness on it.

Anyone wanna buy this? I perhaps will return it :/ i just checkout ex800st which should have a better open-ness. Ive been comparing the KPE and my old ZS5v1, damn the ZS5v1 soundstage is crazy good. Only one thing that I hate about ZS5v1 is 6-8khz peak. Sometimes it will hit sibilant level.

at the end of the day what your ear is hearing is different for everyone

a guy who listen to 334 might find most iem sound abit shrill

a guy who used hd800 alot might find everything sounded congested

at the end of the day audio is subjective and based around your experience.

i suggest moving on past KPE and try to demo alot of iem to find which one is best for you.

u got DM7 coming right, see if its to your liking.

getting an ex800st is never a bad idea. aslong as u don't over pay. tons of good deals to be had u can even hab one new from japan. i got mine new.

saying that a unit might be a defect is a cop out answer, the matter of fact is u don't really like it and nothing wrong with that fact.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #3,188 of 11,918
My other IEMs sound fine with my S8. Battery draining does not affect the sound of my KPEs. The sound changes after 4-5 hours from very natural to slightly bright.
To me this actually sounds like littlebit "underpowering" problem but who knows. There is 1st time for everything.
But like previously said, if KPE doesn`t work for You, move on and get something else :wink:

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #3,190 of 11,918
[

at the end is your choice, u rather spend $530 on a really great set. or save up for the totl stuff.

at the end of the day what your ear is hearing is different for everyone

a guy who listen to 334 might find most iem sound abit shrill

a guy who used hd800 alot might find everything sounded congested

at the end of the day audio is subjective and based around your experience.

i suggest moving on past KPE and try to demo alot of iem to find which one is best for you.

u got DM7 coming right, see if its to your liking.

getting an ex800st is never a bad idea. aslong as u don't over pay. tons of good deals to be had u can even hab one new from japan. i got mine new.

saying that a unit might be a defect is a cop out answer, the matter of fact is u don't really like it and nothing wrong with that fact.

I even had a plan to go all out for A12T but not that jump yet. I requested a return for my KPE and will be receiving my ex800st tomorrow. I got it from Amazon for $230. The DM7 is coming early of next month. I'll see how it goes. Else, i have no choice except going for $1k IEM. But i still believe that there will be chifi that can satisfy me. Im looking forward for P1 too.

edit: I actually liking the ZS5v1 sound signature. I use onemore tips that has triangles at the end of the tips which is good to kill the 8khz peak. Two things that I need to upgrade from ZS5 are details retrieval, comfort. And perhaps better subbass and midbass without sacrificing its delicious soundstage and separation.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #3,191 of 11,918
edit: I actually liking the ZS5v1 sound signature. I use onemore tips that has triangles at the end of the tips which is good to kill the 8khz peak. Two things that I need to upgrade from ZS5 are details retrieval, comfort. And perhaps better subbass and midbass without sacrificing its delicious soundstage and separation.
ZS5v1 requires very powerful amping (mA output per channel) and very low output impedance source to get all drivers up to optimal work as it has ridiculously low impedance.

Jun 17, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #3,192 of 11,918
ZS5v1 requires very powerful amping (mA output per channel) and very low output impedance source to get all drivers up to optimal work as it has ridiculously low impedance.
it works fine so far with es100. So beautiful soundstage and sound separation ive ever heard on IEM.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #3,193 of 11,918
Compensated graph look pretty ok.

No need. Stock cable is very HQ if You got unit with good soldering points.

Thanks @CoiL, how will I know if my soldering points are poor? Or will it be painfully obvious?

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #3,194 of 11,918
I even had a plan to go all out for A12T but not that jump yet. I requested a return for my KPE and will be receiving my ex800st tomorrow. I got it from Amazon for $230. The DM7 is coming early of next month. I'll see how it goes. Else, i have no choice except going for $1k IEM. But i still believe that there will be chifi that can satisfy me. Im looking forward for P1 too.

I can certainly imagine someone preferring the KPE for a variety of reasons, fit, isolation, cable etc, but I find the EX800ST superior strictly sound wise. My biggest issue with the KPE is the thin midbass and overall timbre of the midrange, which is superior on the Sony. The KPE is certainly accurate across the mids, but something is uninteresting about it, the note weight is lacking. Vocals sound much more realistic and full bodied with the Sony.

Again, none of these things are wrong with the KPE, just not my preference, some of these things tend to be glossed over in this thread. Which is perfectly fine everyone has different preferences.

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #3,195 of 11,918
To me this actually sounds like littlebit "underpowering" problem but who knows. There is 1st time for everything.
But like previously said, if KPE doesn`t work for You, move on and get something else :wink:
Yes, I think the same. I can't think of any other reason.
I do like them for what they offer. I will keep them. I just want them to be settled in. Maybe they will someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back