Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #3,168 of 11,978
I tried so bad to like the KPE but i cant fully love it :frowning2: Why...

My relationship with KPE is like hate love story. Some songs sounds good to me. But when it gets muffle, oh crap... i do really wish it's more airy and has the open-ness on it.

Anyone wanna buy this? I perhaps will return it :/ i just checkout ex800st which should have a better open-ness. Ive been comparing the KPE and my old ZS5v1, damn the ZS5v1 soundstage is crazy good. Only one thing that I hate about ZS5v1 is 6-8khz peak. Sometimes it will hit sibilant level.

Jun 16, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #3,169 of 11,978

My relationship with KPE is like hate love story. Some songs sounds good to me. But when it gets muffle, oh ****... i do really wish it's more airy and has the open-ness on it.

Anyone wanna buy this? I perhaps will return it :/ i just checkout ex800st which should have a better open-ness. Ive been comparing the KPE and my old ZS5v1, damn the ZS5v1 soundstage is crazy good. Only one
thing that I hate about ZS5v1 is 6-8khz peak. Sometimes it will hit sibilant level

A simple mod which can fix it would be adding one layer of 3M micropore onto the nozzle before mounting the tip. Like this:
0Iyu2C1.jpg

It tames the high peaks nicely and if it's too much you can poke a hole using a needle or a toothpick.

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #3,170 of 11,978

My relationship with KPE is like hate love story. Some songs sounds good to me. But when it gets muffle, oh ****... i do really wish it's more airy and has the open-ness on it.

Anyone wanna buy this? I perhaps will return it :/ i just checkout ex800st which should have a better open-ness. Ive been comparing the KPE and my old ZS5v1, damn the ZS5v1 soundstage is crazy good. Only one thing that I hate about ZS5v1 is 6-8khz peak. Sometimes it will hit sibilant level.

I think your KPEs or cable may be defective. I have read and understand many complaints about the KPEs lack of mid bass or troublesome fit for some but muffled sound?
The KPEs are clean clear and alive, I can hear double voices and faint background instruments coming through other instruments mics.
I've never heard any track as muffled so I would return them for repair or return them altogether. Good luck

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #3,171 of 11,978
A simple mod which can fix it would be adding one layer of 3M micropore onto the nozzle before mounting the tip. Like this:

It tames the high peaks nicely and if it's too much you can poke a hole using a needle or a toothpick.
COOL! ill do that to my ZS5!

I think your KPEs or cable may be defective. I have read and understand many complaints about the KPEs lack of mid bass or troublesome fit for some but muffled sound?
The KPEs are clean clear and alive, I can hear double voices and faint background instruments coming through other instruments mics.
I've never heard any track as muffled so I would return them for repair or return them altogether. Good luck
On certain songs, it sounds so LIVELY! but in certain songs, the vocal sounds like a speaker that is being wrapped with towel. The midbass leak to vocals. Am i the only one having this problem?

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #3,173 of 11,978
Jun 17, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #3,174 of 11,978
COOL! ill do that to my ZS5!

On certain songs, it sounds so LIVELY! but in certain songs, the vocal sounds like a speaker that is being wrapped with towel. The midbass leak to vocals. Am i the only one having this problem?

There have been reports about condensation and other issues with the KPE.
I never had it with mine, but when I received the Crescents they had been at the doorstep at around 0°C for a day and ther was condensate in the package.
They sounded very muffled, and after a few days of letting them dry they were OK.

Could that be it?

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #3,175 of 11,978
How many playtime hours your KPE has?
About little "muffled" sound, I had such brief period before it was "fully burned in" (after about 90+h).
Also, KPE has kind of "condensation" problem with nozzles/filters... have You checked nozzles when experiencing such problem? It kind of "cloggs" filters and makes sound "muffled".
I love my ZS5v1 too but I much prefer the coherency and clarity/details of KPE. Seems You have somekind of issue with Your KPE. Maybe little underpowering also added "in mix" (mA)?

Jun 17, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #3,176 of 11,978
I never had it with mine, but when I received the Crescents they had been at the doorstep at around 0°C for a day and ther was condensate in the package.
They sounded very muffled, and after a few days of letting them dry they were OK.

Could that be it?

How many playtime hours your KPE has?
About little "muffled" sound, I had such brief period before it was "fully burned in" (after about 90+h).
Also, KPE has kind of "condensation" problem with nozzles/filters... have You checked nozzles when experiencing such problem? It kind of "cloggs" filters and makes sound "muffled".
I love my ZS5v1 too but I much prefer the coherency and clarity/details of KPE. Seems You have somekind of issue with Your KPE. Maybe little underpowering also added "in mix" (mA)?

Mine has more than 80hrs play time. Run it during the weekend as i got it last two weeks.

It's already summer, should be a no prob for a condensation problem.

All i say, my kpe mids sounds congested which mix up with lows. I need to crank up the volume to settle it a lil bit but it's still not the best.

Jun 17, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #3,177 of 11,978
All i say, my kpe mids sounds congested which mix up with lows. I need to crank up the volume to settle it a lil bit but it's still not the best.

It's been a while since I've had the KPE, but I always experienced the mids as very clear, detailed, holographic and open.

I had my issues with lower mids and upper bass, that was not as defined and clean/clear as I'd like.
One example is Aurora's "Running with the Wolves" where her voice is beautifully clear and floaty, the rolling bass is deep and powerful, but then there are those busy passages where the sound gets kind of messy. If this is what you are describing I can follow.
Even my modded JVC FD02 has a little difficulty with that, the Astell & Kern T8iE MKII is the first one for me that keeps things clean, clear and separated. But that one has an MRSP of $1200.

Jun 17, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #3,178 of 11,978
Anyone using an upgraded cable for your KPE? Links?

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #3,179 of 11,978

Could that be it?

KPE aren't as bad as Crescent. I rarelly had this issue with KPE, Crescent on the other hand I don't think I ever got to listen for more than 2 hours. Less than an hour if A/C is on.which is a shame cause I like Crescent more than KPE, I'd gladdly pay $200+ for them if they made a version with the same sound withiut the condensation problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back