Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #603 of 11,979
Jan 22, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #604 of 11,979
Jan 23, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #605 of 11,979
That is good news. I was thinking of getting an R3 gor my KPE as I felt that the G7 One I currently use doesn't have enough power.

I spent some time last night listening to my different headsets and sources to verify what I heard in the office.
The R3 has no problem powering the KPE even in SE, and it's said to be better in balanced.
I like the tonal balance from the R3 and the KPE, it is fun, "colorful" and energetic, with everything from bass to treble.

But it cannot compare to the Mojo, which opens a big stage, wide and deep, with notes floating and reverberating beautifully, when it's in the recording.
Mojo is also smoother and more natural.
As always - I find the Mojo to work best with high quality live recordings where it creates an impressively real sound and sound stage.
(The soundstage of the KPE can't be compared with that of a full size NightHawk or NightOwl though, and they can't be compared with a stereo speaker set)

I guess I am a little picky, because I always found something to be slightly off with the R3 and my other phones, but with the KPE I rather enjoy the music instead of nitpicking.

(And for future upgrades - the R3 pairs really well with the Mojo to create a small, albeit thick, stack)

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #606 of 11,979
What a fun unboxing. (Separate 4.4mm **** cable bought from AK Store bcos why not)

20190123_174654.jpg 20190123_174614.jpg 20190123_174536.jpg

Looks simple and elegant. Fit is perfect. Stuck with stock tips bcos the bore size is huge. No problem with fitting the aftermarket **** cable. Now on to listening with DX200/Amp8.

The Blessing sounds stupendously pleasant and well-tuned. For my preferences I'd love a bit more subbass and treble but this is still good.

Mids are easily the star of the show. A heady mix of detail and emotion.

An excellent buy. Moondrop has nailed the tuning for prolonged, non-fatiguing listening sessions.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #608 of 11,979
I'm rather intrigued by the Kanas - I've been advised on other threads that the regular Kanas will possibly be better for my music tastes (EDM/electronic).

Out of interest, any comparison to final e4000? I felt the bass on the final was a little much. If the regular Kanas was much the same as the final that would be a non starter. However, if the pro had a little less then it could be a firm faveoufav

Thanks

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #609 of 11,979
As said above I have the Kanas Pro for about 3 weeks now and they‘ve been in used a lot.
I just ran 2 hours of test tracks from these sites:
https://www.whathifi.com/features/10-best-tracks-to-test-your-headphones
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/12/16463884/vlad-savov-headphone-test-playlist
https://flypaper.soundfly.com/produce/our-8-favorite-songs-to-use-to-test-headphones-and-speakers/
I really can‘t imagine that you would want more bass for EDM - the KPE has really strong bass if it‘s on the track, but keeping all else clean and clear.
I was mostly interested in the treble though, as I was wondering if I could get the KPE to scream and shout. And yes, they can really hit hard and scream, but I never got them to be painful. The Pharoa Sanders „You‘ve got freedom“ was a good torture test for that.
I could not find any fault with the KPE.
All listened through Tidal lossless and Chord Mojo.

That said I had an offline conversation with Jamato, who posted on the IT01s thread. He has much better equipment than most and prefers the IT01s.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #610 of 11,979
I'm rather intrigued by the Kanas - I've been advised on other threads that the regular Kanas will possibly be better for my music tastes (EDM/electronic).

Out of interest, any comparison to final e4000? I felt the bass on the final was a little much. If the regular Kanas was much the same as the final that would be a non starter. However, if the pro had a little less then it could be a firm faveoufav

Thanks
i have KP and Final e5000 if you want a comparison

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #611 of 11,979
As said above I have the Kanas Pro for about 3 weeks now and they‘ve been in used a lot.
I just ran 2 hours of test tracks from these sites:
https://www.whathifi.com/features/10-best-tracks-to-test-your-headphones
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/12/16463884/vlad-savov-headphone-test-playlist
https://flypaper.soundfly.com/produce/our-8-favorite-songs-to-use-to-test-headphones-and-speakers/
I really can‘t imagine that you would want more bass for EDM - the KPE has really strong bass if it‘s o nthe track, but keeping all else clean and clear.
I was mostly interested in the treble though, as I was wondering if I could get the KPE to scream and shout. And yes, they can really hit hard and scream, but I never got them to be painful. The Pharoa Sanders „You‘ve got freedom“ was a good torture test for that.
I could not find any fault with the KPE.
All listened through Tidal lossless and Chord Mojo.

That said I had an offline conversation with Jamato, who posted on the IT01s thread. He has much better equipment than most and prefers the IT01s.
bad audio reviews guy has DAP s for thousands of dollars and he prefers the KP by a large margin (IT01S is not even in his top 5) what that means? preference

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #613 of 11,979
@FastAndClean a compare would be fantastic if you could
comparison between Final E5000 and Kanas Pro -
Bass - KP rumble harder, E5000 punch harder, KP sound more meaty in the bass, it sounds big, not like in quantity but like the bass is comming from a big woofer, both have tight bass, E5000 seems a little bit quicker, E5000 need mid bass reduction with EQ to really shine, KP don't but i am doing it anyway (i am not a mid bass fan)
Mids - they are very similar, neutral, KP have a little bit cleaner mids, E5000 have more euphoric warm mids
Treble - KP has nice clean treble with sparke in the upper part, they have more air and more snap to the cymbals, E5000 has very high quality treble but is very neutral sounding and next to the big bass line it can be a little bit subdued sounding
Soundstage - E5000 has a nice wide soundstage but it lacks depth, the instruments are close to you but because it is very wide they are like surrounding you at the same time, KP is wide and deep
Isolation - E5000 has weak isolation, KP is better but still less than fully closed in ear

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #615 of 11,979
bad audio reviews guy has DAP s for thousands of dollars and he prefers the KP by a large margin (IT01S is not even in his top 5) what that means? preference
It means something, but not that much for me since I figured out a while ago that his expectations are wildly different from my own.
Actually I find it quite hard to get useful information out of his videos. From the little I know about Jamato8 I value his opinion. I’d love to hear the IT01s, but won’t happen, since I am very happy with the KPE and won’t buy another IEM for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back