Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #301 of 11,979
Jan 9, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #302 of 11,979
One question for those who own the KPE. Do these set benefit from extra amping? From what i'm hearing straight out of my phone, there hardly seems to be any deficiencies. Vocals are full and nicely placed, tight punchy bass (not to mention that sub-bass), detailed yet unobtrusive, soundstage that can go as wide as my shoulders and accurate imaging from top to bottom.

I initially bought this set due to its 110db sensitivity, thinking that amping wouldn't be necessary.

They certainly benefit from higher end sources as they scale up to those very nicely indeed but I am not sure of the benefits of simply adding an amp to your phone.

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #305 of 11,979
One question for those who own the KPE. Do these set benefit from extra amping? From what i'm hearing straight out of my phone, there hardly seems to be any deficiencies. Vocals are full and nicely placed, tight punchy bass (not to mention that sub-bass), detailed yet unobtrusive, soundstage that can go as wide as my shoulders and accurate imaging from top to bottom.

I initially bought this set due to its 110db sensitivity, thinking that amping wouldn't be necessary.

not necessary but it gets better with amping. im using the hidizs sonata dac with my phone the bass hits a bit harder and the highs sounds a bit better to me. but that could be the chip and not amping? its my fave portable on the go set up

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #306 of 11,979
not necessary but it gets better with amping. im using the hidizs sonata dac with my phone the bass hits a bit harder and the highs sounds a bit better to me. but that could be the chip and not amping? its my fave portable on the go set up
I am also eye-ing the Tempotec/Hidizs usb dac as well since it's quite affordable and perhaps, wouldn't be a heavy loss if i were to be disappointed. What kind of phone are you currently using? I'm looking to squeeze out as much as i can from the KPE lol.

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #308 of 11,979
Are you listening to spotify too? Check underworld - binaural by Ottmar Liebert and LUna Negra
you can tell by clapping distance on your right, is it on you shoulder or 1 meter away? or 2 meter away? or far away

second one try Drum and bell Walk Around the mic
you can hear that person walking in a circle around you. and how big is the diameter, or the distance from you to that person. 1m? 5m? 10m? or further?
I found „underworld“ on Tidal HQ and the clapping is quite far out in the room, I‘d say about 5m out. Really nice music by the way!
Didn‘t find the drum and bell walk, but I listened to some Cowboy Junkies 2009 recording that has great soundstage and the KPEs showed a wide and deep stage with accurate placement. Keep in mind though that the Mojo delivers a very good soundstage.

And thanks for the tip with the DIY composite tips, that sounds like a good idea. I have spiral dots to try that...
I tried some foam tips I have left over from the 1More triples, and they soften the treble a bit and make the phones warmer, and more comfortable!
Just the bass is a little heavy for my taste, great somtimes and sometimes just a little much. But this tip makes the KPE even better in my eyes, this is getting really close to perfect :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile: very happy!

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #309 of 11,979
I am also eye-ing the Tempotec/Hidizs usb dac as well since it's quite affordable and perhaps, wouldn't be a heavy loss if i were to be disappointed. What kind of phone are you currently using? I'm looking to squeeze out as much as i can from the KPE lol.

you are like me. I'm trying to get best portable setup without sacrificing the portability. hidizs isnt the best amp you can get but i think its best for the size.

currently using huawei p10

i am really happy with my setup for daily use. if you find a better combo, let me know .

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #310 of 11,979
What is it called?
For some reason, it's only on Taobao and it doesn't have a name besides "Reference". I don't read Chinese, but just googling its name, this blog appears in the results, and it seem like it is a review of the Moondrop Reference.

Here's the frequency response they are apparently aiming for. The blue is obviously diffuse compensated.

TB2Wd8xpmMmBKNjSZTEXXasKpXa_!!722535384.jpg

It is not the Nocturne.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #311 of 11,979
I found „underworld“ on Tidal HQ and the clapping is quite far out in the room, I‘d say about 5m out. Really nice music by the way!
Didn‘t find the drum and bell walk, but I listened to some Cowboy Junkies 2009 recording that has great soundstage and the KPEs showed a wide and deep stage with accurate placement. Keep in mind though that the Mojo delivers a very good soundstage.

And thanks for the tip with the DIY composite tips, that sounds like a good idea. I have spiral dots to try that...
I tried some foam tips I have left over from the 1More triples, and they soften the treble a bit and make the phones warmer, and more comfortable!
Just the bass is a little heavy for my taste, great somtimes and sometimes just a little much. But this tip makes the KPE even better in my eyes, this is getting really close to perfect :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile: very happy!

5m out that is definitely large soundstage, could be on par with EX1000. Thanks for confirming that.

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #312 of 11,979
For some reason, it's only on Taobao and it doesn't have a name besides "Reference". I don't read Chinese, but just googling its name, this blog appears in the results, and it seem like it is a review of the Moondrop Reference.

Here's the frequency response they are apparently aiming for. The blue is obviously diffuse compensated.

It is not the Nocturne.
That graph looks crazy good! O_o

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #313 of 11,979
KPE owners, I have question - can it take 3V/80mA per channel amping? I`m running my modified IT01 like that from beginning and they sound marvelous and no issues.
I can reduce gain and lower power output but upgraded AD opamps work best at high-gain and would like to use it that way on my DX5X.

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #314 of 11,979

It is not the Nocturne.

Thank you! It looks great. Moondrop is killing it!

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #315 of 11,979
KPE owners, I have question - can it take 3V/80mA per channel amping? I`m running my modified IT01 like that from beginning and they sound marvelous and no issues.
I can reduce gain and lower power output but upgraded AD opamps work best at high-gain and would like to use it that way on my DX5X.

Works only with iBasso, with KPE you'll hear a loud pop and then you'll see some black smoke coming out of the nozzles and vents along with a nasty smell. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back