Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,367 of 11,979
@antdroid ,have You managed to try out that filter mod I suggested? Or have You settled with some new mod You haven`t told us? :)
Btw, meanwhile I tested some different filter papers and even to slight changes in thickness/porousness KPE is very sensitive/reactive.
luckily I`m settled atm with one certain nylon+paper combination and enjoying heck out of these ;P

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #1,368 of 11,979
No not yet. Havent had any time. Quit my job this week and had a lot of after work celebrations. :)

I may have time this week to do some more tests before I start my new job in a week and half.

Can you remind me what you want tested?

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #1,369 of 11,979
I just caught up on this thread. I just wanted to make some comments regarding the video youtube review posted...

1st. His measurements match mine exactly that I posted in my review and on this forum. I have the EARS unit and I used Dayton IMM-6 and they pretty much look the same if compensated.

2nd. His sound demo sounds wrong to me. Midway through the review, he started to mod it, which is interesting considering I posted all the mod options and how tuning changes slightly a couple weeks ago -- including jamming foam in the tip :)

3rd. The MiniDSP EARS will sound unnaturally weird if you listen to it using a set of IEMs without the proper compensation curve applied. This is because it's depth is like 6mm deep and it will get some resonance from the silicone EARS material used for the ear canal and ear itself. I dont know if and how he compensates for this -- MiniDSP provides a compensation for REW data analysis, but you'd have to extrapolate that data to an EQ properly to possibly make it sound realistic for a music trial. I asked him in a youtube comment and he just blew me off saying he already explained it -- which is never explained in any of his videos as far as I am aware -- granted I have not seen every review.

4th. Measurement rigs, even the most expensive industry ones, do not accurately measure pass 10KHz. This is partially why the Harman Target for IEMs stops at 10KHz. Human hearing after 10KHz can vary a lot too.

5th. I like the Kanas Pro. :)

6th... he provides a ton of comments on sound demos and then at the very end he says he doesnt like the rig because it doesnt sound right...
Spot on!

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #1,370 of 11,979
No not yet. Havent had any time. Quit my job this week and had a lot of after work celebrations. :)
I may have time this week to do some more tests before I start my new job in a week and half.
Can you remind me what you want tested?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...pressions-thread.894139/page-82#post-14801524
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...pressions-thread.894139/page-83#post-14802903

I swear.
Burn in believer=Religious people
Non believer=Atheist
I`m neither and experience things as I do. I experienced "burn-in" with KPE and I don`t feel myself religious now :D

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,371 of 11,979
@antdroid ,have You managed to try out that filter mod I suggested? Or have You settled with some new mod You haven`t told us? :)
Btw, meanwhile I tested some different filter papers and even to slight changes in thickness/porousness KPE is very sensitive/reactive.
luckily I`m settled atm with one certain nylon+paper combination and enjoying heck out of these ;P

Still waiting for the tutorial. :)

I mean I got your tuning materials but the "ring" part and how to place them inside the nozzle isn't quite clear so a tutorial would be great to get something close to yours and might it'll help @antdroid measure it right too.

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #1,372 of 11,979
Will try my best but will take some time and I have easier method idea for how to produce those filters at home but will need to test it first.
Ring part is probably hard to do for most ppl, so I exclude that as it has little to do with filter effect, rather eliminates possible resonances. I just use those rings also to lock/seal filter layers.
Will think out something easier for everybody.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #1,373 of 11,979
I just caught up on this thread. I just wanted to make some comments regarding the video youtube review posted...

1st. His measurements match mine exactly what I posted in my review and on this forum. I have the EARS unit and I used Dayton IMM-6 and they pretty much look the same if compensated.

2nd. His sound demo sounds wrong to me. Midway through the review, he started to mod it, which is interesting considering I posted all the mod options and how tuning changes slightly a couple weeks ago -- including jamming foam in the tip :)

3rd. The MiniDSP EARS will sound unnaturally weird if you listen to it using a set of IEMs without the proper compensation curve applied. This is because it's depth is like 6mm deep and it will get some resonance from the silicone EARS material used for the ear canal and ear itself. I dont know if and how he compensates for this -- MiniDSP provides a compensation for REW data analysis, but you'd have to extrapolate that data to an EQ properly to possibly make it sound realistic for a music trial. I asked him in a youtube comment and he just blew me off saying he already explained it -- which is never explained in any of his videos as far as I am aware -- granted I have not seen every review.

4th. Measurement rigs, even the most expensive industry ones, do not accurately measure pass 10KHz. This is partially why the Harman Target for IEMs stops at 10KHz. Human hearing after 10KHz can vary a lot too.

5th. I like the Kanas Pro. :)

6th... he provides a ton of comments on sound demos and then at the very end he says he doesnt like the rig because it doesnt sound right...

He is simply spoiled by etymotic smooth treble. BTW he explained it on some of his review, he is compensated it by ear (because his rig limitation) and modified his compensation EQ a few times because he never satisfied with it.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #1,374 of 11,979
He is simply spoiled by etymotic smooth treble. BTW he explained it on some of his review, he is compensated it by ear (because his rig limitation) and modified his compensation EQ a few times because he never satisfied with it.

That's the reason the sound demos are completely useless but people take so much stock into it. This applies to all sound demos of audio equipment on the internet.

While, this Guttenberg piece is probably more placed towards loudspeakers, I think the same applies for headphones:

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #1,375 of 11,979
I know we can't get an accurate representation. But I consider his test better than nothing because he use it to compare between headphones or IEM and compare it with original recording. Just to know how much treble or bass relatively between different headphones or IEM.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #1,376 of 11,979
So far I've found the sound demos very helpful. Reviewers usually also record IEMs that I own so I can hear how the sound is tilted by their recording and my listening equipment. So far bass intensity, texture, mids, high details and pretty much the entire sound signature I could deduce from a sound demo. When I got the IEMs what what I was expecting.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #1,377 of 11,979
I removed Moondrop Crescent's biggest flaw, and attached a non-flaw :wink:

crescent-noflaw.jpg

crescent-flawless.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #1,379 of 11,979
So far I've found the sound demos very helpful. Reviewers usually also record IEMs that I own so I can hear how the sound is tilted by their recording and my listening equipment. So far bass intensity, texture, mids, high details and pretty much the entire sound signature I could deduce from a sound demo. When I got the IEMs what what I was expecting.

It is true, but only when the sound demo is correct, by showing a similar sound signature of the iem demoed. This is not the case with some demos we see by some reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back