Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #11,387 of 11,918
Yeah, I think that’s just a resking, I checked upon it when it came out and didn’t find any changes besides color. So I guess the Kato will still be their DD flagship as it is, so I guess is time to grab one for me.
Moondrop's single DD flagship is the illumination, which is said to be a good if not a great IEM. It better be though at 4x the price of the Kato.
While they did say they would look into new colors when the announcement came that the matte version would be discontinued due to production problems and low yield, I highly doubt they'll re-tune the Kato. Especially since it has only been out for a little over half a year.

That said, with a little bit of luck my dark blue Kato should arrive today. Looking forward to it :ksc75smile:

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #11,388 of 11,918
Moondrop's single DD flagship is the illumination, which is said to be a good if not a great IEM. It better be though at 4x the price of the Kato.
While they did say they would look into new colors when the announcement came that the matte version would be discontinued due to production problems and low yield, I highly doubt they'll re-tune the Kato. Especially since it has only been out for a little over half a year.

That said, with a little bit of luck my dark blue Kato should arrive today. Looking forward to it :ksc75smile:
But what happened then? I mean, something must have changed since the matte finished is still available. I just ordered that one.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #11,389 of 11,918
But what happened then? I mean, something must have changed since the matte finished is still available. I just ordered that one. What was the problem exactly? and what low yielding means?
I know there are some store that still have them for sale, even on Amazon I can still select it, but that doesn't mean you can still get a new one. Yes there might still be one or two new ones out there at some random store, but there is a higher chance it'll either get cancelled or you'll get a message to select a different color option.

I did some digging and found these posts on it from Moondrop themselves.
Due to the low production yield of matte finished shell, there’s a more than one month ETA unfortunately…
We’ll cancel this product after this batches also… due to that matte shell has a less than 10% yield, it’s too hard to keep it on shelf. We sincerely apologize for all the trouble caused and will try our best to fulfill existing orders.
It was permanent, unfortunately the production yield for a matte kato was less than 50% in current quality control requirement, we have to cancel.
We will think about other possibilities, but the current version of matte kato won’t come back.
As for the yield, the production process isn't perfect, the easy way to explain this is is with a example. Say you make 100 shells, but 5 of the have defects (bits missing, large cracks etc.) that can't be patched up and prevent them from being used in assembly. 100 - 5 = 95 units = 95% yield. 95% is a good yield but anything under 50% is pretty bad and under 10% is abysmal. Yield is also separate from final QC as these parts are never used for the rest of the production process.

From the second post from Moondrop two possible conclusions can be drawn.
Either the yield got better toward the end of the production run but was still under what is needed to make it viable.
Or out of every 100 shells made, only 5 or less would actually find their way towards customers. (100 x 0.1 x 0.5 = 5)

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #11,390 of 11,918
I know there are some store that still have them for sale, even on Amazon I can still select it, but that doesn't mean you can still get a new one. Yes there might still be one or two new ones out there at some random store, but there is a higher chance it'll either get cancelled or you'll get a message to select a different color option.

As for the yield, the production process isn't perfect, the easy way to explain this is is with a example. Say you make 100 shells, but 5 of the have defects (bits missing, large cracks etc.) that can't be patched up and prevent them from being used in assembly. 100 - 5 = 95 units = 95% yield. 95% is a good yield but anything under 50% is pretty bad and under 10% is abysmal. Yield is also separate from final QC as these past are never used for the rest of the production process.

Either the yield got better toward the end of the production run but was still under what is needed to make it viable.
Or out of every 100 shells made, only 5 or less would actually find their way towards customers. (100 x 0.1 x 0.5 = 5)
Thank you for the detailed information. Got it now, and yeah, totally logical to cease production on that model. But then again, something must have certainly changed since the one I just got from Amazon its been sold by SHENZHENAUDIO, which is one of the Moondrop retailers, and this Matte version was just re-listed recently. Also is listed there on other stores just as HifiGO and even the official Moondrop Store on AliExpress within the model options to select.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #11,391 of 11,918
Thank you for the detailed information. Got it now, and yeah, totally logical to cease production on that model. But then again, something must have certainly changed since the one I just got from Amazon its been sold by SHENZHENAUDIO, which is one of the Moondrop retailers, and this Matte version was just re-listed recently. Also is listed there on other stores just as HifiGO and AliExpress also when you select which version you want to purchase.
Always glad to help :grin:, my job as a Design engineer gives me a good view on these kinds of things.

With a little bit of luck they have found a alternative way of making the matte version and you're one of the first to get one of the new batch. Although it would be weird not to get an announcement that the matte version is available again.

Mine also comes from ShenzhenAudio through Amazon, they are the official distributor and behind the official Moondrop store on AliExpress if I'm correct. I've always had good interactions with them, be it though Amazon or on Ali. Though I've never ordered from their own site.

I'm personally waiting on the announcement that the Venus Planar headphones are released as I'm looking for a good planar headphone. Yes, I've tried the Sundara (old version), it didn't make the cut against the HD 660s. And as a local store where my audiophile (or audiofool) journey started became an official seller for Moondrop products a few months ago, I can now actually try the Venus before I buy them when they come out.

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #11,392 of 11,918
Always glad to help :grin:, my job as a Design engineer gives me a good view on these kinds of things.

With a little bit of luck they have found a alternative way of making the matte version and you're one of the first to get one of the new batch. Although it would be weird not to get an announcement that the matte version is available again.

Mine also comes from ShenzhenAudio through Amazon, they are the official distributor and behind the official Moondrop store on AliExpress if I'm correct. I've always had good interactions with them, be it though Amazon or on Ali. Though I've never ordered from their own site.

I'm personally waiting on the announcement that the Venus Planar headphones are released as I'm looking for a good planar headphone. Yes, I've tried the Sundara (old version), it didn't make the cut against the HD 660s. And as a local store where my audiophile (or audiofool) journey started became an official seller for Moondrop products a few months ago, I can now actually try the Venus before I buy them when they come out.
Looking forward to the Venus and MoonZero as well. Thieaudio is coming out with their own planar headphone as well.

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #11,393 of 11,918

Apparently the did found a way of producing the matte version, although I had the impression it was always there for purchasing haha, didn't know the story behind it.
Waiting to read or hear first impressions on those planars! cannot wait!

And yeah, Shenzhenaudio is one of the good ones. Just received my Aria Snow from them recently, all good, even through Amazon.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #11,394 of 11,918
Moondrop planar IEM?
Screenshot_2022-08-10-15-06-56-50_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #11,397 of 11,918
I tried the moondrop kato, and I had to return them.
It was just not fun to listen to, sure I can hear the detail clearly but it's not fun and a little sibilant.
I can't listen to this for hours.

I think the hype around them isn't justified.

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #11,398 of 11,918
I tried the moondrop kato, and I had to return them.
It was just not fun to listen to, sure I can hear the detail clearly but it's not fun and a little sibilant.
I can't listen to this for hours.

I think the hype around them isn't justified.
Everyone's hearing is different. Tips and insertion depth likely make a difference. I for one enjoy my KATO.

Aug 12, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #11,399 of 11,918

As for the yield, the production process isn't perfect, the easy way to explain this is is with a example. Say you make 100 shells, but 5 of the have defects (bits missing, large cracks etc.) that can't be patched up and prevent them from being used in assembly. 100 - 5 = 95 units = 95% yield. 95% is a good yield but anything under 50% is pretty bad and under 10% is abysmal. Yield is also separate from final QC as these parts are never used for the rest of the production process.

Edit: Spelling
The original matte design is discontinued, but we thought the matte finish is a good idea, so we decide to reduce the edges of the shell so it’s easier to manufacture.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back