Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #11,357 of 11,979
Wow Chu reached 4500 sales on Moondrop official store on Aliexpress alone. Great sales numbers for an awesome entry level killer IEM.

Jul 24, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #11,358 of 11,979
Recently I've been noticing that the left side of my Kato is noticeably brighter than the right side (I usually test this by setting the output to mono and playing a song), but I don't remember hearing this when I first got them. So I did a lot of measuring today and discovered something interesting.

These are the channel balance graphs I got, meaning the difference between the left and right side. A flat line would mean they measure identically.

1.png

The left / right channel balance on the Kato can be affected by switching the nozzles between the two sides. This indicates that the nozzles can have enough variation to cause audible differences even among nozzles of the same type (I was using steel here).

"Nozzle swap" on these graphs just means having them the other way around compared to how I happened to have them today. I don't know which way around they were originally installed, I didn't keep track of that when swapping them with the brass ones previously.

As you can see on the graph, the left side is notably brighter (by up to 2dB) in the first configuration, but swapping the nozzles between the sides makes things much better. These measurements were all done with the steel nozzles, I haven't tried this with the brass ones yet.

I'm aware that insertion depth and other factors can affect measurements a lot, so some might chalk this up to measurement error, but here's how I got these results:
  • The nozzles were always screwed in all the way and firmly tightened.
  • I measured each side using the same side of my source by using the right side cable for both earpieces. This removes any imbalance that might come from my amp.
  • Each side was measured using the same exact eartip (not just the other side of a pair). This is to control for possible inconsistencies in tips. I've also made sure the tip is installed in the exact same way, pushed all the way down the nozzle.
  • I aligned my 60318-4 coupler's resonance peak as precisely to 8kHz as possible. This required playing with the insertion depth for quite a while.
  • I took two measurements of each side with each nozzle, re-inserting the IEM between every measurement. This was to ensure consistency and to show that the difference isn't coming from insertion error.
Here are all the measurements for the first nozzle configuration (more imbalance) showing both insertions per side (click to open):

2.png

As you can see, the measurements are virtually identical between insertions, proving that the difference is not a measurement error.

Finally, here are the measurements for both nozzle configurations. Each line here is the average of two insertions (as seen on the previous image):

3.png

The channel balance graph (first image) is showing the difference between the left and right side measurements of each nozzle configuration here. As the first image already showed, swapping my nozzles between the left and right side yields much better channel matching.

TL;DR if you think you're having channel balance issues with the Kato, try swapping the nozzles between the left and right side, it could help. Maybe you can also mark the nozzles with a sharpie so you don't switch them around by accident.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #11,359 of 11,979

Good comparison between Quarks vs Chu's. I personally prefer the Quarks over the Chu's in terms of sound and ergonomics. They have a nice midrange tonality to them and just a pleasure to listen to for casual listening. Chu's are a bit of a overachiever, having slightly better technical performance. But kind of the same Moondrop house sound. Like a poor man's version of the Dusk. Both excellent values IEMs.

Side note: the new dark blue Kato's are looking sexy as hell. Pretty tempted in getting a pair. @MOONDROP any plans for a black version?

1658670759943.png

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #11,360 of 11,979
Kato in matte black would be killer.

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #11,361 of 11,979
Recently I've been noticing that the left side of my Kato is noticeably brighter than the right side (I usually test this by setting the output to mono and playing a song), but I don't remember hearing this when I first got them. So I did a lot of measuring today and discovered something interesting.

These are the channel balance graphs I got, meaning the difference between the left and right side. A flat line would mean they measure identically.

1.png

The left / right channel balance on the Kato can be affected by switching the nozzles between the two sides. This indicates that the nozzles can have enough variation to cause audible differences even among nozzles of the same type (I was using steel here).

"Nozzle swap" on these graphs just means having them the other way around compared to how I happened to have them today. I don't know which way around they were originally installed, I didn't keep track of that when swapping them with the brass ones previously.

As you can see on the graph, the left side is notably brighter (by up to 2dB) in the first configuration, but swapping the nozzles between the sides makes things much better. These measurements were all done with the steel nozzles, I haven't tried this with the brass ones yet.

I'm aware that insertion depth and other factors can affect measurements a lot, so some might chalk this up to measurement error, but here's how I got these results:
  • The nozzles were always screwed in all the way and firmly tightened.
  • I measured each side using the same side of my source by using the right side cable for both earpieces. This removes any imbalance that might come from my amp.
  • Each side was measured using the same exact eartip (not just the other side of a pair). This is to control for possible inconsistencies in tips. I've also made sure the tip is installed in the exact same way, pushed all the way down the nozzle.
  • I aligned my 60318-4 coupler's resonance peak as precisely to 8kHz as possible. This required playing with the insertion depth for quite a while.
  • I took two measurements of each side with each nozzle, re-inserting the IEM between every measurement. This was to ensure consistency and to show that the difference isn't coming from insertion error.
Here are all the measurements for the first nozzle configuration (more imbalance) showing both insertions per side (click to open):

2.png

As you can see, the measurements are virtually identical between insertions, proving that the difference is not a measurement error.

Finally, here are the measurements for both nozzle configurations. Each line here is the average of two insertions (as seen on the previous image):

3.png

The channel balance graph (first image) is showing the difference between the left and right side measurements of each nozzle configuration here. As the first image already showed, swapping my nozzles between the left and right side yields much better channel matching.

TL;DR if you think you're having channel balance issues with the Kato, try swapping the nozzles between the left and right side, it could help. Maybe you can also mark the nozzles with a sharpie so you don't switch them around by accident.
Wow, I admit that KATO does has some issues with the QC of the nozzles.
My first pair had this issue and I replaced them with new ones.

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #11,362 of 11,979
I just received the CP145, CP360 and CP240 tips I ordered. The materials feel nice and they all isolate a bit better than Moondrop spring tips.

In terms of sound, none of them were as good as the stock spring tips on the Kato for me. Both the 145s and 360s add a peak of a couple dB around 12kHz and 13.5kHz respectively, so they both make the treble too shimmery as a result. The 240s are hard to get a good seal with, but I think I just got the wrong size for my ears. Whenever I do get a seal with the 240s though, they sound dark and rolled-off in the treble.

On the Chu however, both the 145s and 360s sound fine to me. They are a bit different, but neither have any weirdness like on the Kato. The 240s are the same story on the Chu as they were on the Kato though, too dark.

It seems like the Kato is just very picky with tips and pretty much only sounds right with the stock spring tips. I'll be using the CP145s on the Chu, but I'll definitely stick to spring tips on the Kato.

After some more listening, both the CP360 and the spring tips have a similar peak in the air region on the Chu, which is a part of what gives it a metallic timbre. The CP145 reduces this and makes the treble more even, so for me the CP145 is a pretty clear improvement on the Chu over the stock spring tips. But the Kato is the same story as before, it feels like it only sounds right with spring tips.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #11,366 of 11,979
Any recommendations for amp/dac for the Variations? Preferably a portable one. I tried the Dragonfly Red and that kills bass impact completely
What is your reference source in regards to bass performance?
With Chord Hugo2 bass very impactful and defined, on the Mojo 2 impact, definition and clarity are reduced a bit, and with an Apple dongle the Variations sounds quite a bit softer and more boring.
It's hard to justify the expenses for a DAC/Amp like the Hugo2 (although there are good used offers now after Mojo 2 was released)
Mojo 2 is a really, really good DAC and excellent value if you can live with the design, size, battery etc

But neither of them is the king of convenience, that's for sure. Both are more transportable than really mobile...

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #11,367 of 11,979
What is your reference source in regards to bass performance?
With Chord Hugo2 bass very impactful and defined, on the Mojo 2 impact, definition and clarity are reduced a bit, and with an Apple dongle the Variations sounds quite a bit softer and more boring.
It's hard to justify the expenses for a DAC/Amp like the Hugo2 (although there are good used offers now after Mojo 2 was released)
Mojo 2 is a really, really good DAC and excellent value if you can live with the design, size, battery etc

But neither of them is the king of convenience, that's for sure. Both are more transportable than really mobile...
Either my phone or my computer. Though the variations sound great with the Laptop, its mostly the phone that needs support. I did try a generic dongle on both sources and like you said, it sounds awful.
The Hugo 2 costs more than twice what I paid for Headphones and phone combined, thats way too high, though I'm sure they sound great!
The mojo 2 is more like it, but still too expensive unfortunately.
Thanks anyway for the reply!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #11,368 of 11,979
Any recommendations for amp/dac for the Variations? Preferably a portable one. I tried the Dragonfly Red and that kills bass impact completely
Tempotec Sonata E44 should bring it the best of them.

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #11,369 of 11,979

Dunu DTC-500 (do not own but I’ve read good reviews), iFi GO blu (if you want versatility; I’ve listened to it, sounds good) or THX Onyx (I own this and absolutely love it).

Edit: I do not own the Variations, I’ve only tried these with other IEMs, like the Rai Solo or the FH3. BUT, a good DAC is a good DAC. With that said, if you have the budget and want better, go for the Mojo2, not portable but transportable)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #11,370 of 11,979
Questyle m15, kinda big but it makes the vari hit like a truck (I use it on high gain over 4.4).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back