Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #10,921 of 11,979
Are you saying the Spring tips ‘medium’ is smaller than 12mm? Azla shared the following size guides with me. They don’t necessarily relate to Spring tips, but they allow us to judge best fit for those familiar with Airpods. For example, you’re apparently a size ‘M’ for Airpods and Azla.
Moondrop Spring tips run smaller than any other tips I have. The Large “feel” to me to be between a M and S for most other tips. Azla run larger than most other tips - at least a half size larger than most other tips. Definitely do not use Azla sizing to estimate other tips, especially the Moondrop Spring tips - the difference between a L Spring and L Azla is quite startling.

Mar 6, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #10,922 of 11,979
Moondrop Spring tips run smaller than any other tips I have. The Large “feel” to me to be between a M and S for most other tips. Azla run larger than most other tips - at least a half size larger than most other tips. Definitely do not use Azla sizing to estimate other tips, especially the Moondrop Spring tips - the difference between a L Spring and L Azla is quite startling.

The Azla guide provides the measurements for the outside diameter. Are you saying those dimensions are wrong, or “feel” wrong in actual use?

Mar 6, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #10,924 of 11,979
https://www.moondroplab.com/variations

Has anyone heard these Moondrop Variations ?

Just saw them up at my local (read: Canadian) retailer (https://ttaudio.ca/products/moondrop-variants)

I have listened to the "Variations", and after trying them, I feel they remind me of the Vision Ears EXT at the low end, with nicer trebles, and not slightly "U" shaped like I found the EXT somewhat was.
Yet the EXT may have had a touch more resolve in some ways.
But the EXT wasn't for me, and not better overall than my 64 Audio U12T.

Yet in the end, I found the "Variations" signature more lively, and musically attractive for me, while being at a very very close and just similar resolve, with the two mentioned above.

I am seeing many reviewers not admitting the high resolve level, which I personally feel, if admitted, would upset the market. I am admittedly speaking in overall, and not specific terms. I prefer not to nitpick specific attributes, but instead the sonic image as an integrated whole. Musicality was my guage.

The moondrop Variations really punch beyond into high-end territory, so yeah, they may not be for everyone (slightly gentle "V") but ended up buying them and choosing them as my preferred IEM overall now. With all the "mids-focused" IEMs out this sets it apart. Add to the trend of DAPs having denser tonality, and you getting a better match with this unit.
Stock Cable was suprisingly ver good, but I switched to my favorite "Effect Audio Cleopatra" cable, that I feel actually elevated the unit further, and is a reason for my final determination.

No need to jump into thousand dollar range IEMs anymore. Spend it on the Dap instead. 👍
Edit**
I take that back. Most daps are reaching a high level and it is the IEM that you should focus on.

I sold my top dap to move back up the ladder of IEMs, but it is easy to totally waste your money, so it's good to have this IEM as a "place-holder" to stay with, before attempting to loose all your money on the top IEMs... 😄

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #10,925 of 11,979
The Azla guide provides the measurements for the outside diameter. Are you saying those dimensions are wrong, or “feel” wrong in actual use?
Not at all. I am saying that in my experience Azlas run larger than other tips with the same ”size” (e.g. L vs L), and Mondrops run smaller than other tips with the same size, so an M Moondrop is close to an S of other tips, and a M of Azla is more like an L of other tips. I haven’t actually done the measurements, but have had lots of these in my ears.

Mar 7, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #10,926 of 11,979
Mar 7, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #10,927 of 11,979
I have smaller than average ear canals, so the Spring Tips M size fits me perfectly. In fact, I'm using them with my other IEMs at the moment, Zen Pro and FDX1, and they fit me just as well if not better than Spinfit.

I just got the Kato in this weekend, and I am very impressed! They fill the gap between my FDX1 and Zen Pro very nicely. Deeper and cleaner bass than the FDX1, with noticeably better soundstage and imaging/layering. Not as good as the Dunu Zen Pro, but the fact it gets close at $200 is amazing. The Kato also has more natural and smoother treble than the Zen Pro, so it's perfect for sharp recordings and pop music.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #10,928 of 11,979
Finally found the right tips for the Variations. The stock tips are crap, tried CP100, CP100+, CP360, CP145, Acoustune tips, etc. and most of the just don't have wide enough bore opening. And then I purchased the SpringTips from Moondrop and finally it feels and sounds right to me.

Mar 8, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #10,929 of 11,979
I have listened to the "Variations", and after trying them, I feel they remind me of the Vision Ears EXT at the low end, with nicer trebles, and not slightly "U" shaped like I found the EXT somewhat was.
Yet the EXT may have had a touch more resolve in some ways.
But the EXT wasn't for me, and not better overall than my 64 Audio U12T.

Yet in the end, I found the "Variations" signature more lively, and musically attractive for me, while being at a very very close and just similar resolve, with the two mentioned above.

I am seeing many reviewers not admitting the high resolve level, which I personally feel, if admitted, would upset the market. I am admittedly speaking in overall, and not specific terms. I prefer not to nitpick specific attributes, but instead the sonic image as an integrated whole. Musicality was my guage.

The moondrop Variations really punch beyond into high-end territory, so yeah, they may not be for everyone (slightly gentle "V") but ended up buying them and choosing them as my preferred IEM overall now.
Stock Cable was suprisingly ver good, but I switched to my favorite "Effect Audio Cleopatra" cable, that I feel actually elevated the unit further, and is a reason for my final determination.

No need to jump into thousand dollar range IEMs anymore. Spend it on the Dap instead. 👍
Thanks for sharing your impressions! Very interesting how you compare the Variations to a legend like the U12T!
What really surprises me is your statement that you find the Variations similiar in resolution to the U12T.

I am comparing the Variations to the Sony IER-M9, using a Chord Hugo 2 for a source, and the Variations comes across as smoothed over, lacking the texture, resolution and precision of the M9. And it's not a small difference. Unfortunately I have never heard the U12T but have been considering it for a while, expecting it to be a significant step up from the M9. Your assessment makes me wonder... What sources did you use for the comparison?

The Variations is technically a really well rounded IEM for the money IMO and a very good choice if the lean tuning with that massive sub bass works for your library and taste.

Mar 8, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #10,930 of 11,979
Thanks for sharing your impressions! Very interesting how you compare the Variations to a legend like the U12T!
What really surprises me is your statement that you find the Variations similiar in resolution to the U12T.

I am comparing the Variations to the Sony IER-M9, using a Chord Hugo 2 for a source, and the Variations comes across as smoothed over, lacking the texture, resolution and precision of the M9. And it's not a small difference. Unfortunately I have never heard the U12T but have been considering it for a while, expecting it to be a significant step up from the M9. Your assessment makes me wonder... What sources did you use for the comparison?

The Variations is technically a really well rounded IEM for the money IMO and a very good choice if the lean tuning with that massive sub bass works for your library and taste.
I ordered a Variation out of curiosity, I hope it doesn't disappoint coming from the M9 and quite some time with the Z1R too.

Mar 10, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #10,932 of 11,979

Yes, I agree. I didn't realize this observation until I bought mine, because when I first heard the "Variations", it was NOT with it's stock cable.
Although I found the stock Cable very good and balanced, they unknowingly held back my "Variations" in very much the ways you mentioned.

Also, when I first compared the "Variations" in my post you quoted, I had compared them to my U12T, BUT the "Variations" had a PW1960s copper cable attached. A super excellent cable, wich in my opinion, highlights the mids holography a bit, and wasn't really meant to be used there, as it was l borrowed off an Oriolus Traillii, so yeah it was sounding great with that cable.
I don't really want to promote Uber expensive cables but it was very good.

There are some great cables on AliExpress. I have experience with the XHNIS shop ones. Very good so far!
There are a flood of absolutely amazing looking cables on AliExpress. I bought a few of them. Silky and impressive looking cablez....

Unfortunately, even though the ones I tried were good, they ultimately were not as clear or resolving on top(spectrum).
I ended up giving my XHNIS cable away as an extra. The Penon was better.
So I fear most of those beautiful AliExpress cables may not be really "up to par", in delivering ultimate clarity, for some higher resolving IEMs.
I "bit the bullet" and attained a good (but a bit expensive) Effect Audio "Cleopatra" silver cable cable.

The cable market should be a cautious one because it's too easy to go for the looks, and not wise to take chances so I paid.
Yet I can't even recommend the expensive cables I mentioned because they're more expensive than the actual "Variations" IEM.
I can vouch for the Penon (copper/silver mix) cable tho...

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #10,933 of 11,979
Hi! I know this a topic that is sort of overdone, but it is one I would like some opinions on from people in this group.
A lot of you guys definitely seem to be on the "cabbles-matter" side of the field, while I'm smack dab in the middle, aka I-don't-know-ville. According to what I've gathered over the years, some types matter much more than others, such as usb and long single ended cables mattering a good bit, while balanced xlr interconnects mattering negligibly little. However, I am not firmly planted in those thoughts, and I'm almost completely lost on the importance of headphone, iem, and speaker cables. I have heard (and it makes sense) that resistance and therefore wire gauge and condition are most important, especially for drivers with lower resistance and higher sensitivity, but that most cables have these boxes adequately checked to the point that differences should be almost if not completely inaudible.
If you think that iem and headphone cables matter, why do you think so? Purely asking out of curiosity. Is your stance more rooted in objective data or subjective listening? (Both are important imo.) How much of a difference in the sound is there between say a $30 "copper" cable (not pure), a $70 pure copper cable, and a $500 silver/gold cable? Is it a tiny difference, like a +0.15dB boost on an eq that you have to strain and A/B 14 times back to back to hear the difference, or is it like the difference between 128kbps MP3/Ogg Vorbis vs FLAC, small but clearly audible?

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #10,934 of 11,979
Hi! I know this a topic that is sort of overdone, but it is one I would like some opinions on from people in this group.
A lot of you guys definitely seem to be on the "cabbles-matter" side of the field, while I'm smack dab in the middle, aka I-don't-know-ville. According to what I've gathered over the years, some types matter much more than others, such as usb and long single ended cables mattering a good bit, while balanced xlr interconnects mattering negligibly little. However, I am not firmly planted in those thoughts, and I'm almost completely lost on the importance of headphone, iem, and speaker cables. I have heard (and it makes sense) that resistance and therefore wire gauge and condition are most important, especially for drivers with lower resistance and higher sensitivity, but that most cables have these boxes adequately checked to the point that differences should be almost if not completely inaudible.
If you think that iem and headphone cables matter, why do you think so? Purely asking out of curiosity. Is your stance more rooted in objective data or subjective listening? (Both are important imo.) How much of a difference in the sound is there between say a $30 "copper" cable (not pure), a $70 pure copper cable, and a $500 silver/gold cable? Is it a tiny difference, like a +0.15dB boost on an eq that you have to strain and A/B 14 times back to back to hear the difference, or is it like the difference between 128kbps MP3/Ogg Vorbis vs FLAC, small but clearly audible?

You know dude, it's like this. You know those acoustically transparent mesh covers they put on speakers? Man, am I ever convinced that removing those to reveal the naked tweeters and woofers beneath improves the sound and does so viscerally for me.

You know what else? I don't give a crap if somebody wants to debunk that, because even if it could be debunked, that wouldn't change a thing for me. I must have brainwashed myself.

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #10,935 of 11,979
Yes, I agree. I didn't realize this observation until I bought mine, because when I first heard the "Variations", it was NOT with it's stock cable.
Although I found the stock Cable very good and balanced, they unknowingly held back my "Variations" in very much the ways you mentioned.

Also, when I first compared the "Variations" in my post you quoted, I had compared them to my U12T, BUT the "Variations" had a PW1960s copper cable attached. A super excellent cable, wich in my opinion, highlights the mids holography a bit, and wasn't really meant to be used there, as it was l borrowed off an Oriolus Traillii, so yeah it was sounding great with that cable.
I don't really want to promote Uber expensive cables but it was very good.

There are a flood of absolutely amazing looking cables on AliExpress. I bought a few of them. Silky and impressive looking cablez....

Unfortunately, even though the ones I tried were good, they ultimately were not as clear or resolving on top(spectrum).
I ended up giving my XHNIS cable away as an extra. The Penon was better.
So I fear most of those beautiful AliExpress cables may not be really "up to par", in delivering ultimate clarity, for some higher resolving IEMs.
I "bit the bullet" and attained a good (but a bit expensive) Effect Audio "Cleopatra" silver cable cable.

The cable market should be a cautious one because it's too easy to go for the looks, and not wise to take chances so I paid.
Yet I can't even recommend the expensive cables I mentioned because they're more expensive than the actual "Variations" IEM.
I can vouch for the Penon (copper/silver mix) cable tho...
Which Penon copper/silver cable are you referring to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back