Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #811 of 11,978
Hi Buddy
I can't really compare them to the T4 because they are a very different sounding headphone with a different driver. It would be a bit like describing how a car and a motorbike compare to each other !
What I can say is that the Kanas Pro is THE best dynamic driver I have ever heard. they are truly magical and beautifully tuned to sound natural...They just sound SO 'sweet' its gonna sound weird but...they sound like the feeling of being love !?!!
I had the Tansio Miria arrive today which, like the T4 are also a total of 6 Armature drivers. They are very very good - A little aggressive somehow - I think
a, they need burning in to give them time to calm down and settle in and
b, I have another NICE 8 core copper cable coming for them...which I think will suite them very well
I should also add, I sold my T4's and also gave away my 16 core cable so Im going from memory
Compared to the Tansio I will say they were smoother - buttery clear in the highs and mids but the Tansio seems more balanced over all. Hard to say as we dealing with subtitles here!
The T4's though are every bit an 'armature sounding' IEM - clinical, clean, clear and precise where as the Kanas Pro's are every bit the dynamic driver headphone - warmer low end with greater weight and punch, softer mids and highs
Thanks alot for all your help and today my t4's arrived I must say I absolutely am loving them! Very clear, detailed and also has a great soundstage coming off my phone. This is my first all ba set so I immediately realized a difference in the bass. The bass in t4 is still fast and good but it lacks the weight and naturalness of what I'm used to hearing. The vocals are also superb especially for female vocals but i did wish for a bit more body on male vocals (still sounds good though with clarity and speed) to sound more natural. However this is all impressions after one hour of listening and my 16 core cable should arrive anytime now so I am looking forward to seeing if that changes anything. Either way this is a phenomenal iem, the best I have heard to date!

Btw why did you sell your t4's, did you find the tsmr and kanas pro better? I would of got the tsmr ages ago but some reviewers mentioned it had a more of a smaller stage so that would not be good for watching movies.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #812 of 11,978
Thanks alot for all your help and today my t4's arrived I must say I absolutely am loving them! Very clear, detailed and also has a great soundstage coming off my phone. This is my first all ba set so I immediately realized a difference in the bass. The bass in t4 is still fast and good but it lacks the weight and naturalness of what I'm used to hearing. The vocals are also superb especially for female vocals but i did wish for a bit more body on male vocals (still sounds good though) to sound more natural. However this is all impressions after one hour of listening and my 16 core cable should arrive anytime now so I am looking forward to seeing if that changes anything. Either way this is a phenomenal iem, the best I have heard to date!

Btw why did you sell your t4's, did you find the tsmr and kanas pro better? I would of got the tsmr ages ago but some reviewers mentioned it had a more of a smaller stage so that would not be good for watching movies.

Very glad to hear that :) - I find I have to be in the mood for armature - Modern classical type of music or folk sounds stunning. TBH I liked them a lot but I have a very small income so sometimes I have no choice but to jiggle things around.

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #813 of 11,978
Massive grain of salt measurements:

Been playing around with Audessey Mic & Dayton IMM-6 mic with 2mm wall thickness vinyl tubing with front of driver 12mm from capsule at 80dB/SPL @ 300Hz. Been trying to tune it with compensation curves that generally follow Harman IEM Target and traditional Diffuse Field target. Here's what I've got so far, though I feel like I need to mod the Harman Target a little more. This is a work-in-progress.

MKP-TargetCurves.jpg

MKP-TargetCurves-dayton.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #814 of 11,978
Thanks alot for all your help and today my t4's arrived I must say I absolutely am loving them! Very clear, detailed and also has a great soundstage coming off my phone. This is my first all ba set so I immediately realized a difference in the bass. The bass in t4 is still fast and good but it lacks the weight and naturalness of what I'm used to hearing. The vocals are also superb especially for female vocals but i did wish for a bit more body on male vocals (still sounds good though with clarity and speed) to sound more natural. However this is all impressions after one hour of listening and my 16 core cable should arrive anytime now so I am looking forward to seeing if that changes anything. Either way this is a phenomenal iem, the best I have heard to date!

glad you are enjoying them, cheers!

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #815 of 11,978
Just received the KPE's and like most people, I am very impressed with the sound. What I have been struck by is their clarity and their evenness. I agree with others peoples comments that they sound very natural, with really good bass. Live music sounds brilliant with them. Coming from the FH5, I find their presentation really different. If this is 'neutral' then i've found the sound signature for me.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #816 of 11,978
Just received the KPE's and like most people, I am very impressed with the sound. What I have been struck by is their clarity and their evenness. I agree with others peoples comments that they sound very natural, with really good bass. Live music sounds brilliant with them. Coming from the FH5, I find their presentation really different. If this is 'neutral' then i've found the sound signature for me.

Would you mind expanding on the differences between KP and FH5? What didn't you like about FH5 that you like on KP? Anything that FH5 does better?

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #817 of 11,978
Would you mind expanding on the differences between KP and FH5? What didn't you like about FH5 that you like on KP? Anything that FH5 does better?

I've only been listening to the KPE's for a few hours, so things may changed with burn-in. I haven't done a detailed comparison, but I would say, at this stage, the bass on the FH5's might be a little better, that's not to say the bass on the KPE's is not really good. However, it is the mids and the highs that the KPE's are a noticeable improvement. The mids are really clear and present and the highs are clear and smooth, without sacrificing details. The result is a really coherent, clear and balanced sound that is not fatiguing. I found the Fh5's could be fatiguing at times due the more forward mids and less smooth treble. I still think the FH5's are really, really good, it's just that the KPE's nails the mids and the treble and sound more natural and effortless. On the practical side, I find the KPE's so much more comfortable and less tip sensitive than the FH5's.

There may be an element of new toy syndrome in my view, so please take this into account.

Edit: having done a quick comparison listening to some Lee 'scartch' Perry. I would say the bass on the FH5s and KPEs are different, rather than better. It sounds as if there is more sub-bass and less mid-bass on the FH5, so they sound as if they have more impact and are tighter. However, listening to some dub makes me think that the bass on KPE is just more accurate, being fuller with really nice decay, as dub should be.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #818 of 11,978
You guys using stock tips?

My results by ear played through my LG G7 One playing MQA and HIFI through Tidal : Sony Hybrids : hard to put on, gobs of midbass and adds a 9k peak.

KZ Starline : surprisingly easy to put on, adds some midbass but adds subbass too, awful 8k peak similar to F9s appear which I hate oh so dearly .

Azla Sedna : pretty hard to fit, easier than Sony Hybrids. Awesome results. Almost neutral with hint of subbass and almost zero treble peaks.

Unfortunately I only have Medium Sedna tips, which dont fit properly in my left ear canal. :frowning2: Gotta order large. Anyone used JVC Spiral Dots or Symbio?

Also I should add that Sedna is a blessing for Chinese IEMs. Fixed my peaky DUNU sets.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #819 of 11,978
You guys using stock tips?

My results by ear played through my LG G7 One playing MQA and HIFI through Tidal : Sony Hybrids : hard to put on, gobs of midbass and adds a 9k peak.

KZ Starline : surprisingly easy to put on, adds some midbass but adds subbass too, awful 8k peak similar to F9s appear which I hate oh so dearly .

Azla Sedna : pretty hard to fit, easier than Sony Hybrids. Awesome results. Almost neutral with hint of subbass and almost zero treble peaks.

Unfortunately I only have Medium Sedna tips, which dont fit properly in my left ear canal. :frowning2: Gotta order large. Anyone used JVC Spiral Dots or Symbio?

Also I should add that Sedna is a blessing for Chinese IEMs. Fixed my peaky DUNU sets.

I'm still using symbio normal bore, with the foam removed. I did not like the jcv spiral dots with them

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #820 of 11,978
With so many new IEMs, some time I neglect listening to my old ones.
I went back to listen to the Kanas Pro because it's getting a lot of praise.
After spending quite some time with the qdc Anole VX, it allow to see flaws easier in the Kanas Pro.
One thing I don't like is the high pitch and distorted vocal due to spike between 3 kHz and 6 kHz.
Here's are my EQ settings for the Kanas Pro on the Lotoo Touch.
Q 1.0
BPF 40 Hz +3.0 dB
BPF 1.0 kHz +3.0 dB
BPF 3.5 kHz -6.0 dB -> -3.0 dB
BPF 5.5 kHz -6.0 dB -> 5.0 kHz
BPF 10 kHz +6.0 dB -> 850 Hz +1.0 dB
The increased in 40 Hz and 1 kHz boost bass and vocal a little.
With this, the sound feel more balance and wide to me. This is just my preference and opinion.
I love the parametric EQ settings in the Lotoo Touch.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #821 of 11,978
With so many new IEMs, some time I neglect listening to my old ones.
After spending quite some time with the qdc Anole VX, it allow to see flaws easier in the Kanas Pro.
One thing I don't like is the high pitch and distorted vocal due to spike between 3 kHz and 6 kHz.
Here's are my EQ settings for the Kanas Pro on the Lotoo Touch.
Q 1.0
BPF 40 Hz +3.0dB
BPF 1.0 kHz +3.0dB
BPF 3.5 kHz -6.0dB
BPF 5.5 kHz -6.0dB
BPF 10 kHz +6.0dB
The increased in 40 Hz and 1 kHz boost bass and vocal a little.
With this, the sound feel more balance and wide to me. This is just my preference and opinion.
I love the parametric EQ settings in the Lotoo Touch.
I never heard about distorted vocal on these? Usually it's attributed to clean, prestine and clear. For my last iem I am looking for a dynamic driver iem that does vocals brilliantly with a big enough stage. Would this iem give me natural and bodied mids that dd's are usually known for? I know some people here love the mids on these but I would love to know your opinion aswell as I'm getting mixed responses. Im gonna weigh up the opinions before deciding. Also, male vocals are more important to me then female vocals and from some reviews I figured people mentioning about thinness in male vocals which I do not prefer as it may sound like the tin audio t2's which sounds natural but lacking a bit of body/meat for my tastes.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #822 of 11,978
I never heard about distorted vocal on these? Usually it's attributed to clean, prestine and clear. For my last iem I am looking for a dynamic driver iem that does vocals brilliantly with a big enough stage. Would this iem give me natural and bodied mids that dd's are usually known for? I know some people here love the mids on these but I would love to know your opinion aswell as I'm getting mixed responses. Im gonna weigh up the opinions before deciding. Also, male vocals are more important to me then female vocals and from some reviews I figured people mentioning about thinness in male vocals which I do not prefer as it may sound like the tin audio t2's which sounds natural but lacking a bit of body/meat for my tastes.

I think he is not taking about mids mids.

But the mid-treble/low treble/presence bite. It's pronounced in the iem, i even find it a little grainy. Even tho i never noticed any sibilance or whatever, but the drums and snares sound shouty at times. Especially because i have a tendency for hearing this iem loud to bring vocals more close to me as they are recessed to the bass (mine is the regular kanas, not the pro, on the pro this volume effect should be lessened)

The vocals definitely has more body and wheight than t2s.

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #823 of 11,978
Interesting, I haven`t seen graph yet showing spike between 3kHz-6kHz. Maybe tip/fit-depth resonance issue?
And how You detect that vocal distortion? Is it clear as sunny day blue sky or is it something like tiny little cloud up there that only becomes noticeable when You look at certain direction and look for it?
I should be getting my KP very soon and would be nice if You give some song example with distorted high-pitch spikey vocals?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #824 of 11,978
I
Interesting, I haven`t seen graph yet showing spike between 3kHz-6kHz. Maybe tip/fit-depth resonance issue?
And how You detect that vocal distortion? Is it clear as sunny day blue sky or is it something like tiny little cloud up there that only becomes noticeable when You look at certain direction and look for it?
I should be getting my KP very soon and would be nice if You give some song example with distorted high-pitch spikey vocals?
I've posted my graph of the KPE and the Anole VX before. Pretty much any female vocal song, the vocal sound unnatural. Typically I like my 3.5 kHz and 5.5 KHz range to be lower than the 1 kHz range. If you like your KPE IEM the way it is, that's fine. However, get yourself a parametric EQ DAP and play with the EQ, then you'll notice what sound right and wrong. My settings will work on the MKII and LPG.

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #825 of 11,978
I

I've posted my graph of the KPE and the Anole VX before. Pretty much any female vocal song, the vocal sound unnatural. Typically I like my 3.5 kHz and 5.5 KHz range to be lower than the 1 kHz range. If you like your KPE IEM the way it is, that's fine. However, get yourself a parametric EQ DAP and play with the EQ, then you'll notice what sound right and wrong. My settings will work on the MKII and LPG.
How would you rate the male vocals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back