Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Mar 1, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #946 of 1,920
  I just pulled the trigger on a new 430HA from The Source AV Design from Jason Lord and should be expecting it tomorrow.  I am very excited.  My plan is to pair it with the Sennheiser HD800S when it is available.  I am amazed by the service by both The Source AV Design and Simaudio.  I just got a call this morning from Jason and I guess Simaudio for some reason did not ship out the 430HA yesterday as planned and Jason let them know he promised me that I would have by Wednesday.  Therefore, Simaudio is overnighting it to me.  Thats pretty incredible service.  I am very excited.  I am replacing the Schiit Yggy and Rag.  I did have the Oppo HA-1 for a short period but felt a little fatiguing to my ears so I returned it.  I purchased the version with DAC built-in and plan on using my Macbook Pro with Tidal and JRiver.  I would love any recommendations as far as settings when pairing with HD800s.  High or low gain?  Crossfeed on or off?  

Thank you 
beyersmile.png

Congrats!

Crossfeed is ONLY nice with extremely bad recordings such as youtube...etc. Other than that don't bother with the Crossfeed. 
High gain all the way with the 300ohm HD800 S. 

You will enjoy the Moon except the CHEAP and extremely UGLY remote control.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #947 of 1,920

Thanks, but there's nothing to mess up..As long as the Mac recognises the Moon, volume control goes to the Moon.
Only place where I can change the volume on the computer side is in Tidal, and I have it at 100%.

Hmmm.....Im at a loss then to explain why you arent getting enough volume.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with a solution.

I am still leaning towards a Mac setting not being adjusted correctly somewhere without your knowledge.

According to Abyss the 1266 runs at 46 ohms and according to Simaudio the 430 outputs 9w into 46 ohms.  Apparently 7w and up into 46 ohms is plenty of oomph for the 1266 (this according to the big Abyss thread)

Hope you get it sorted out.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #948 of 1,920
  I just pulled the trigger on a new 430HA from The Source AV Design from Jason Lord and should be expecting it tomorrow.  I am very excited.  My plan is to pair it with the Sennheiser HD800S when it is available.  I am amazed by the service by both The Source AV Design and Simaudio.  I just got a call this morning from Jason and I guess Simaudio for some reason did not ship out the 430HA yesterday as planned and Jason let them know he promised me that I would have by Wednesday.  Therefore, Simaudio is overnighting it to me.  Thats pretty incredible service.  I am very excited.  I am replacing the Schiit Yggy and Rag.  I did have the Oppo HA-1 for a short period but felt a little fatiguing to my ears so I returned it.  I purchased the version with DAC built-in and plan on using my Macbook Pro with Tidal and JRiver.  I would love any recommendations as far as settings when pairing with HD800s.  High or low gain?  Crossfeed on or off?  

Thank you 
beyersmile.png

Congrats.

Its a special piece of gear for sure.  Agree with Sonic Guild, HD-800 High gain, crossfeed doesnt get any real use.  Enjoy it.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #949 of 1,920

Hmmm.....Im at a loss then to explain why you arent getting enough volume.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with a solution.

I am still leaning towards a Mac setting not being adjusted correctly somewhere without your knowledge.

According to Abyss the 1266 runs at 46 ohms and according to Simaudio the 430 outputs 9w into 46 ohms.  Apparently 7w and up into 46 ohms is plenty of oomph for the 1266 (this according to the big Abyss thread)

Hope you get it sorted out.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #950 of 1,920
I run my abyss through my moon and never get above 50 either even when really loud - going to defiantly be a setting in your Mac software causing it!

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #951 of 1,920
I run my abyss through my moon and never get above 50 either even when really loud - going to defiantly be a setting in your Mac software causing it!

Where could it be? I've checked audio midi setup 10 times..is there anywhere else?

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #952 of 1,920
  I have a question for the 430HAD owners..
Mine arrived yesterday but it feels it doesn't have enough power for the Abyss.
Depending on the track, I have to go up to 80 in low gain and mid 70s in high gain.
My connection is through USB..
Clearly I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what..
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, but there's nothing to mess up..As long as the Mac recognises the Moon, volume control goes to the Moon.
Only place where I can change the volume on the computer side is in Tidal, and I have it at 100%.

Where could it be? I've checked audio midi setup 10 times..is there anywhere else?

@aphex27, what about outside of TIDAL, like when watching YouTube videos? Is it still too quiet then?

Also, I understand your volume setting on TIDAL is set to 100%. You can also force volume in settings--see screenshot below:

After testing the 430HA-D with YouTube, try the above settings in TIDAL. While it shouldn't make a difference (given that you're manually setting TIDAL volume to 100%), it's worth a try. Also, forcing "Exclusive Mode" means nothing other than TIDAL will be using the Simaudio's DAC (which is why I'm recommending applying this setting only after you test YouTube videos).

(Obviously, in the screenshot above, I am not using the Simaudio in this rig, but a Woo Audio DAC.)

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #953 of 1,920

@aphex27, what about outside of TIDAL, like when watching YouTube videos? Is it still too quiet then?

Also, I understand your volume setting on TIDAL is set to 100%. You can also force volume in settings--see screenshot below:

After testing the 430HA-D with YouTube, try the above settings in TIDAL. While it shouldn't make a difference (given that you're manually setting TIDAL volume to 100%), it's worth a try. Also, forcing "Exclusive Mode" means nothing other than TIDAL will be using the Simaudio's DAC (which is why I'm recommending applying this setting only after you test YouTube videos).

(Obviously, in the screenshot above, I am not using the Simaudio in this rig, but a Woo Audio DAC.)

Thanks Jude, unfortunately same level with youtube.
I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong because full volume with high gain on the 430 has about the same loudness as full volume on the McInstosh D100 with the Abyss..
and my understanding is that the 430 is much more powerful.

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #955 of 1,920
  Thanks Jude, unfortunately same level with youtube.
I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong because full volume with high gain on the 430 has about the same loudness as full volume on the McInstosh D100 with the Abyss..
and my understanding is that the 430 is much more powerful.

I'll finally be back at the office later today, and will specifically run the Abyss from the 430HA. I tend to listen at levels lower than most Head-Fi'ers I think, but will crank it up, and see what happens.

I also have the D100, so, if I have time, I'll hook that up, too.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #956 of 1,920
Thanks guys for the advice. I'll definitely set it in high gain with no crossfeed. Now just waiting on the HD800s. Feeling excited

Good times ahead
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I'll finally be back at the office later today, and will specifically run the Abyss from the 430HA. I tend to listen at levels lower than most Head-Fi'ers I think, but will crank it up, and see what happens.

Looking forward to your findings Jude.

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #957 of 1,920

Jude thanks so much for taking the time to solve my problem!
Joe (from Abyss) contacted me, guessing that I had plugged the Abyss into the 1/4" jack instead of the XLR..
of course he was right..and problem solved :)

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #959 of 1,920

Jude thanks so much for taking the time to solve my problem!
Joe (from Abyss) contacted me, guessing that I had plugged the Abyss into the 1/4" jack instead of the XLR..
of course he was right..and problem solved :)

Well thats good to hear ....literally lol.

Kudos to Joe and Jude for getting in on the problem solving 
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #960 of 1,920
Hi guys,

I just got my Simaudio Neo 430HA w/ DAC and fired it up today with my HD650 and OMG I have to say it is the best sound I have heard through these headphones.  I feel the veil has been lifted from the hd650.  I am so impressed.  

Thanks!

Don 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back