Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Feb 23, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #931 of 1,920
Nice input. Thank you. Does yours have the built-in DAC? How is the DAC section of the amp? To my ears, I feel like Sabre DACs have a brighter sound.

This would have been my assumption also based on Sabres reputation.  Good news however is that Sim has utilized the chip as not to appear bright or shrilly.

Seems that the implemenation of the Sabre was spot on.

As I mentioned previous I find the DAC section on the warmer side of things.

Works great streaming also via USB
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #933 of 1,920
I have a question for the 430HAD owners..
Mine arrived yesterday but it feels it doesn't have enough power for the Abyss.
Depending on the track, I have to go up to 80 in low gain and mid 70s in high gain.
My connection is through USB..
Clearly I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what..
Any help would be appreciated

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #936 of 1,920
Besides Tidal ...etc could it be that the 430 in audio devices is set to low volume.

Personally I leave it set at 100 when using the onboard DAC and then control volume through Tidal etc.

Abyss showcased this amp at a few shows so by all accounts it should be a great fit.

Congrats on the new toy by the way
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #937 of 1,920
Also you have low and high gain on the unit. The Abyss does need the high gain setting. It has way more than enough power for them. I had that combo in house for a month.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #938 of 1,920
  Besides Tidal ...etc could it be that the 430 in audio devices is set to low volume.

Personally I leave it set at 100 when using the onboard DAC and then control volume through Tidal etc.

Abyss showcased this amp at a few shows so by all accounts it should be a great fit.

wink.gif

Thanks! :) Do you mean at 80? Also, does it go loud enough with your headphones?

Also you have low and high gain on the unit. The Abyss does need the high gain setting. It has way more than enough power for them. I had that combo in house for a month.

Yeah, I know..mid 70s is ok with the high gain but I was expecting this thing to be a beast..to be at ear-splitting levels even at half volume..but it's nowhere near that even at full volume with high gain..I'm a bit disappointed to be honest..

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #939 of 1,920
Quote:

Thanks! :) Do you mean at 80? Also, does it go loud enough with your headphones?

Yeah, I know..mid 70s is ok with the high gain but I was expecting this thing to be a beast..to be at ear-splitting levels even at half volume..but it's nowhere near that even at full volume with high gain..I'm a bit disappointed to be honest..

I never played it beyond 45, which is more than 85 decibel.
I am wondering if you are OK with more than 85 decibel, the recommended level is below 85 decibel (to keep your ears safe!).

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #942 of 1,920

You are absouloutly right.
I am using 40-45 for the LCD3F (100 Ohms), but honestly I can't imagine listening to lv 80 even with Abyss.
Just be careful with your volume level and always keep your ears safe.  

I meant that you will have different dB levels at the same volume setting depending on the headphones.
I'm very careful with my ears too :) 
Lv 80 with low gain, I would describe as medium to high volume with the Abyss..

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #943 of 1,920

wink.gif

What I was refering to was that if you are utilizing the onboard DAC via USB rather than setting the 430 to 80 volume is to set your computer volume at 100.

If its being fed via Windows or Mac for that matter it simply means going into devices, Moon 430, and as a default setting the computer volume (Moon DAC) to 100 (or whatever volume you prefer).

I run my 430 at 55 volume and adjust accordingly via the computer /iTunes / Spotify /Tidal ...etc.  I am using the HD-800 and TH-900 full time.

It is plenty loud to these 49 year old ears
biggrin.gif

I honestly think aphex27 that you need to take a closer look at your actual computer volume settings this is most likely where the issue lies and not the amp itself.

By all accounts including most Abyss afficianados (like yourself) the Moon has plenty of juice on tap.

Bottom line, re-examine those computer volume settings.

Let us know how you make out. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #944 of 1,920

What I was refering to was that if you are utilizing the onboard DAC via USB rather than setting the 430 to 80 volume is to set your computer volume at 100.

If its being fed via Windows or Mac for that matter it simply means going into devices, Moon 430, and as a default setting the computer volume (Moon DAC) to 100 (or whatever volume you prefer).

I run my 430 at 55 volume and adjust accordingly via the computer /iTunes / Spotify /Tidal ...etc.  I am using the HD-800 and TH-900 full time.

It is plenty loud to these 49 year old ears
biggrin.gif

I honestly think aphex27 that you need to take a closer look at your actual computer volume settings this is most likely where the issue lies and not the amp itself.

By all accounts including most Abyss afficianados (like yourself) the Moon has plenty of juice on tap.

Bottom line, re-examine those computer volume settings.

Let us know how you make out. 
beerchug.gif

Thanks, but there's nothing to mess up..As long as the Mac recognises the Moon, volume control goes to the Moon.
Only place where I can change the volume on the computer side is in Tidal, and I have it at 100%.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #945 of 1,920
I just pulled the trigger on a new 430HA from The Source AV Design from Jason Lord and should be expecting it tomorrow.  I am very excited.  My plan is to pair it with the Sennheiser HD800S when it is available.  I am amazed by the service by both The Source AV Design and Simaudio.  I just got a call this morning from Jason and I guess Simaudio for some reason did not ship out the 430HA yesterday as planned and Jason let them know he promised me that I would have by Wednesday.  Therefore, Simaudio is overnighting it to me.  Thats pretty incredible service.  I am very excited.  I am replacing the Schiit Yggy and Rag.  I did have the Oppo HA-1 for a short period but felt a little fatiguing to my ears so I returned it.  I purchased the version with DAC built-in and plan on using my Macbook Pro with Tidal and JRiver.  I would love any recommendations as far as settings when pairing with HD800s.  High or low gain?  Crossfeed on or off?  

Thank you 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back