Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jul 19, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #1,696 of 1,920
Anyone using the 430 HA or HAD with an HD 800 S? How do you like it ?

It’s a nice coherent pairing. I think I’d suggest the use of a warm DAC if the 800S is your go too or endgame

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 20, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #1,697 of 1,920
Would imac-tidalhifi-usb-430had be the best way to go to stream music?

Or would imac-roon/tidal-usb-430had be better?

And I'm wondering also if there would be any other better solution regarding sound quality to get tidal into my 430had?

Jul 20, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #1,698 of 1,920
Would imac-tidalhifi-usb-430had be the best way to go to stream music?

Or would imac-roon/tidal-usb-430had be better?

And I'm wondering also if there would be any other better solution regarding sound quality to get tidal into my 430had?
No; imac=>tidalhifi via Roon=>Moon Neo MiND2=>Moon 430HAD :)

The USB input of the DAC in Moon 430HAD is not very good; coaxial SPDIF is so much better. And with Roon going over the ethernet you will avoid all issues with USB from the computer as well; which is not a very optimal way to transfer SPDIF. The Moon Neo MiND2 is king; it was great before the MiND2 upgrade - but now that it is Roon-ready; not much in this world can beat it.

Alternative to Roon+Moon MiND2 you can go for a high quality USB/SPDIF bridge; like the AudioByte Hydra Z with ZPM power supply.

Edit
Moon Neo MiND and MiND2 also supports Tidal HiFi (+ Master) directly. So you don't even need the computer. But Roon is the way to go also for Tidal in my opinion

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #1,699 of 1,920
Also agree the USB input to the DAC is not good. It's harsh, digital and small sounding comparatively. The USB/Spdif option mentioned above is much better--smoother, more "analog," better soundstage/layering/imaging. I use an Audiophilleo with a Synergistic Research cable and I find it clearly betters USB.

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #1,700 of 1,920
Also agree the USB input to the DAC is not good. It's harsh, digital and small sounding comparatively. The USB/Spdif option mentioned above is much better--smoother, more "analog," better soundstage/layering/imaging. I use an Audiophilleo with a Synergistic Research cable and I find it clearly betters USB.
The best approach is however to avoid USB completely; and this can be done by using a great streamer with Roon. You can control your music from the computer (or anywhere else) and have different or the same output to multiple endpoints. Roon is fantastic; I really hope the industry does not screw them over so we are left with a bunch of bad streaming apps with missing audio-device exclusive mode; and missing gapless playback. Tidal's streaming app for Windows/macOS is however one of the better regarding sound quality. Deezer is a mess if you compare. Spotify is.... well; spotify :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #1,701 of 1,920
Thanks, will have to check out mind2 then :)

Jul 21, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #1,702 of 1,920
I purchased the 430HA (no dac) a few weeks back and have been burning it in ever since. I have the Well Audio Milo Reference and was hoping to sell it, get an amp I like as much or more and pocket a few bucks. Plus, the Milo Ref was the only part of my system that wasn't balanced - surely I'd benefit from having a fully balanced system. Unfortunately, I just put the shipping label on the box and shipped it back today. The 430HA sounds good, but the sound lacked the transparency I've grown accustomed to with the Milo Reference. "Dry" is the best way I can describe it, and it draws away the realism. On the plus side, you can listen to the 430HA at normal listening levels non-stop with no risk of fatigue - very smooth, yet also a bit boring. I once saw the bass of the 430HA described as a fist in a velvet glove - that reviewer nailed it - except I notice the velvet glove throughout the entire frequency range. For those willing to spend $3.5k on the Moon, I'd strongly suggest considering the Milo Reference if you can part with a bit more $$ - another level of naturalness, resolution, dynamics, and transparency.

I've never tried tube amps, but my audio nervosa would make sure that I'd obsessively roll tubes - which is a can of worms I'd rather not open. For some additional context, I had the 430HA paired with my Yggy A2 and Auralic Aries with various high-end cabling - and with/without the PS Audio P3 regenerator.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #1,703 of 1,920
The 430HA is not doing much to the audio signature - and it is as always important to match the entire audio chain with equipment that will give you the sound you want. All elements influence the output in some way. From computer (or transporter); cables, DAC, analogue cables; headphone amplifier. You will also find difference in programs on computer used for playback (they can be bitperfect all day long; but they still sound different). Also drivers on computer for DAC or USB/SPDIF bridge can give fairly big change in the audio. As well as headphones of course.

Edit:
I really love the sound in my system currently, but if I replace the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC it all falls apart. The same if I switch to a different headphone amplifier than 430HAD.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #1,704 of 1,920
How would the Yggy A2 pair with the 430HA when using an LCD-4 as headphones? I've read several reports that the Yggy A2 has a slightly darker or warmer sound to it. It makes me wonder if it would perhaps end up sounding too dark or warm since the 430HA already sounds fairly warm on it's own and LCD-4 is obviously a darker sounding headphone.

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #1,705 of 1,920
How would the Yggy A2 pair with the 430HA when using an LCD-4 as headphones? I've read several reports that the Yggy A2 has a slightly darker or warmer sound to it. It makes me wonder if it would perhaps end up sounding too dark or warm since the 430HA already sounds fairly warm on it's own and LCD-4 is obviously a darker sounding headphone.
This was my exact setup (see 2 posts above). The 430HA is great, but you can take quite a step up with the Milo Reference.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,706 of 1,920
@johnzz4, I see, I'm really happy with the my current setup (PC > JCAT Femto USB > Yggy A1 > Moon 430HA > LCD-4), but considering the Milo reference would be an extra $1500, I'd rather not spent as much at this time, since I live in Europe it would get even more expensive to upgrade to it. So you don't feel that it sounds too dark with the Yggy A2 compared to A1?

Should it become too dark after the upgrade, I could always regain some of the transpiracy with cables upgrades, if I have to, but would rather not take that route, since it would be another expense just to compensate for the upgrade.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,707 of 1,920
@johnzz4, I see, I'm really happy with the my current setup (PC > JCAT Femto USB > Yggy A1 > Moon 430HA > LCD-4), but considering the Milo reference would be an extra $1500, I'd rather not spent as much at this time, since I live in Europe it would get even more expensive to upgrade to it. So you don't feel that it sounds too dark with the Yggy A2 compared to A1?

Should it become too dark after the upgrade, I could always regain some of the transpiracy with cables upgrades, if I have to, but would rather not take that route, since it would be another expense just to compensate for the upgrade.

No, the A2 was a minor upgrade that gives the Yggy a bit more smoothness and refinement. I wouldn't consider it brighter or darker. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to the A2. Keep in mind though that going from A1 to A2 is a much smaller performance difference than what I noticed between amps.

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #1,709 of 1,920
I switched my DAC from the yggy to the RME DAC-2 and can say I quite like the results with my HD800S and Utopia :)

Dec 3, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #1,710 of 1,920
Has anyone paired or heard the PS audio Directream or DirectStream Junior DAC paired with the 430HAD? I would be using Roon as digital source for the DAC via the Ethernet streamer in the DAC. I have the 430HAD currently, using its builtin DAC ATM via USB from an iMac Pro

Can-wise:I have Sony Z1Rs on order, MPH1000s, and considering the Utopias or LCD3s or 4s as a next can purchase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back