Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Mar 23, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #1,516 of 1,920
Just pulled the trigger on the 430HA. One of the main reasons was as you stated - connected to my full 2-channel system and access to all of my sources- turntable and digital player. It will be connected to an output of my preamp (Naim).

Question - some headphone amps balanced output are "better" than their single ended outputs. How is the SE output of this amp - same or worse than the balanced outputs?

Congrats!  Be aware that the break-in period is real!  Mine sounded ok when fresh out of the box.  After 150 hours it sounded better...and after 300 hours it sounded fantastic.  You will love it.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #1,517 of 1,920
Hey Mortalcoil

Naim DAC and also a Lavry!

Sure you are not a veteran of the DAC wars on the Naim forum??

I'm a longtime Naim 2 channel veteran

LOL ... well, yes I do visit the Naim forums from time to time.  They are a good crew over there I find, lots of knowledge.  Although being an owner of the "lowly" V1 my input is minimal at best lol.  I know what you mean by DAC wars, always a battle between Chord and the Naim die hards.

Great brand though definitely as your aware with tons of pedigree and significance.  The Lavry was an earlier purchase, at the time it held its own as a DAC,  now I'm not so sure. 

Regardless, enjoy the Moon its one hell of an amp.  The DAC unit onboard (optional) is excellent to IMO. Although I wouldn't mind a Weiss 
blink.gif

Cheers  
beerchug.gif

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #1,518 of 1,920

LOL ... well, yes I do visit the Naim forums from time to time.  They are a good crew over there I find, lots of knowledge.  Although being an owner of the "lowly" V1 my input is minimal at best lol.  I know what you mean by DAC wars, always a battle between Chord and the Naim die hards.

Great brand though definitely as your aware with tons of pedigree and significance.  The Lavry was an earlier purchase, at the time it held its own as a DAC,  now I'm not so sure. 

Regardless, enjoy the Moon its one hell of an amp.  The DAC unit onboard (optional) is excellent to IMO. Although I wouldn't mind a Weiss 
blink.gif

Cheers  
beerchug.gif

Yes - we are a great crew over there.  Before the Hugo the Lavry was all the rage.  Now its the Hugo.

Even though the Moon is only on day 3 of break in I am already very impressed.  It doesn't hurt things in that a pair of Kimber Axiom cables arrived last night for the Utopia's.

No DAC on board mine - Weiss was also nice back in the Lavry war day.  Me I am slumming it with a Linn Klimax DS.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #1,519 of 1,920

Yes - we are a great crew over there.  Before the Hugo the Lavry was all the rage.  Now its the Hugo.

Even though the Moon is only on day 3 of break in I am already very impressed.  It doesn't hurt things in that a pair of Kimber Axiom cables arrived last night for the Utopia's.

No DAC on board mine - Weiss was also nice back in the Lavry war day.  Me I am slumming it with a Linn Klimax DS.

Yes I suppose it must be really difficult putting up with a Linn..... lol 

when I picked up my Utopia at the time, Kimber was releasing their cables in very short supply.  Went with the Nordost Heimdall 2,  good cable overall.  I do like the Kimber criss-cross design on that cable and I would imagine that the addition of copper (I assume) is not a bad thing with the Utopia / Moon

combo.

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #1,520 of 1,920
Taking delivery of my shiny new Moon 430HAD from TSAV next Monday (which will be replacing my Mytek Brooklyn) to power my Focal Utopia cans.

The burn-in process is new for me, so forgive the rookie questions below...

Can someone point me in the right direction on the best way to burn-in the 430HAD for 300 hours?  Do I need my cans connected while burning in, and do I need to vary the source material vs. looping the same CD over and over 300 times?

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #1,521 of 1,920
Congratulations  - mine is at day 7 in the burn in process.

I have my Utopia's connected to it and am running a looped playlist of a few hundred songs.

imho I think run in is better with a load connected to the amplifier i.e. the headphones

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #1,522 of 1,920
Am I able to use my Moon somehow as a pre-amp for a speaker amp?

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #1,524 of 1,920
Yes, it has a preamp out and performs nicely

Does that preamp out work with an external DAC (like a Yggy) by chance, or would I have to output through the Yggy instead to reap the benefits?

It won't cause harm to the Moon Neo, right? This is a power stereo amplifier supplying 300 watts at 4 Ohms to Martin Logans. (just checking)

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #1,525 of 1,920
Can someone point me in the right direction on the best way to burn-in the 430HAD for 300 hours?  Do I need my cans connected while burning in, and do I need to vary the source material vs. looping the same CD over and over 300 times?

yes, def keep Utopia connected as it benefits greatly from burn in too.

variety of music is best. set volume to medium-high.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #1,526 of 1,920
Does that preamp out work with an external DAC (like a Yggy) by chance, or would I have to output through the Yggy instead to reap the benefits?

It won't cause harm to the Moon Neo, right? This is a power stereo amplifier supplying 300 watts at 4 Ohms to Martin Logans. (just checking)

I'm confused but yes you can connect Yggy > Moon (preamp out) > Amplifier
This is similar to my setup. So if I want to use headphones I plug them in, if I want to use my speakers I turn on and warm up the amp.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #1,527 of 1,920
I'm confused but yes you can connect Yggy > Moon (preamp out) > Amplifier
This is similar to my setup. So if I want to use headphones I plug them in, if I want to use my speakers I turn on and warm up the amp.

Do I just use the fix/var out on the back? It for sure uses the DAC in (Yggy) and uses the preamp (Moon) to my Emotiva?

Thanks for the help by the way.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #1,530 of 1,920
Glad to hear it works. I was just concerned with using a headphone amp with a power speaker amp.

Glad to know it'll work and I can get right to listening. Love my Martin Logan's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back