Moon Audio 230HAD headphone amp / dac .... Anyone heard one?
Nov 7, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #16 of 42
My 230 HAD was delivered yesterday afternoon at 5:00 and has been up and running ever since.

Initial impressions compared to my Marantz HD-DAC1 are as follows:

- It sounds full and rich.  The music seems to have more room to breathe with a wider more well defined sound stage. I am hearing more detail overall, but not to the point that it is distracting.  Instruments and vocals seems to mesh together nicely allowing me to relax and lose myself in the music. 

- The unit itself is smaller and not quite as heavy as the Marantz, but the build quality is fantastic.  The remote is kind of cheesy, but the way I have things situated I am using the volume knob on the actual unit (which is amazing!  It is nice and big and operates in a very satisfying manner.  It is super easy to find the sweet spot).

- This thing has more than enough power to drive my HD700s. If I want to upgrade to something in the HiFiMan line, this unit will be up to the task.  The Marantz was fine in this department, but seemed to strain a bit at higher volumes.  I get the sense there is plenty more power on tap here should I need it.  It just seems effortless and helps make the music swing.

- So far I have been streaming from Tidal and the new Apple service and it sounds amazing.  I have also been playing flac/wav/mp3 files from JRiver to great effect.  I have to get my hands on some of the high res DSD stuff and hear what that's all about.  I also like that the 230HAD doesn't do that annoying audible click when it locks on to

At nearly double the price of what the Marantz lists for it should be a better sounding unit - and it is.  Does it sound twice as good?  That is something people will need to decide on their own. For me, the extra expense is justified.  You would need to spend a heck of a lot more money to get something that sounds much better than this.  In the crazy world of hi-fi, I think the 230HAD is actually a great deal.

The cool thing is that it will sound even better as I get closer to the magical 300 hour mark.  It sounds pretty darn good now.
k701smile.gif

Anyone looking for a good price on a 5 month old Marantz HD-DAC1 hit me up 
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #21 of 42
  Took the 230HAD home from the office where I've done most of my listening for the review.
Decided to try and connect it with the Audiophilleo2 USB-S/PDIF converter that I just bought to use with Chord Hugo (which indeed was a good "upgrade")

Anyway, 230HAD and Audiophilleo2 was is an absolutely magic combo. Can't explain why - but the 230HAD had another level to offer, at least to my ears.

For me - it's now outperforming Chord Hugo easily!

Thanks for posting the follow-up review. Your whole series was nicely done and very informative. I am regretting a bit having picked up the Cavalli LC instead of the Moon unit (and I still need to get a DAC). Well, if I am not satisfied with the LC I think I know what my next purchase will be.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #23 of 42
Decided I'm going to grab one today.  Moved into an apartment and I don't want to piss the neighbours off with my main stereo so this will be my first dedicated head phone setup.  Starting with my Shure 1540s but will eventually look at trying some LCD3 when I can get up to Edmonton.

Seems the 230HAD punches higher than it's price from all the reviews I've read.  My other option was the Ayre Codex but I need analog in for my turntable.

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #24 of 42
Hi, I am looking for a headphone DAC/amp and have narrowed the choice down to the Marantz HD-DAC1 and Moon 230HAD.

I noticed that some of you have owned both. 

What are your thoughts...

i realize there is a price difference, but I am not factoring that in - looking for the best overall unit.

Thanks

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #26 of 42
Hi,

Decided to use one device for both DAC and headphone amplifier functionality instead of using Meier DACCORD and Musical-fidelity V90-HPA so I bought the Moon 230HAD. I also thought it will improve the overall sonic quality of my system.

Meier DACCORD build quality is not in the level of 230HAD but, for my ear, DACCORD sonic quality is better.

DACCORD sounds like it produce more depth (more body/life). 230HAD, compared, sounds cleaner/controlled but like it has gone through a noise canceling device. The first thing I notice was that voices on 230HAD sounds flat, and trumpet on DACCORD sounds bigger like they "occupy more space".

With DACCORD it was easier, for me, to get carried away by the music.

Note that this is my first post so I don't really know whether I'm using the right terms.

AKG K712 was used during the test and 230HAD was burned-in in more then 300 hours.

I think that the sound of DACCORD=>230HAD=>k712 was a little bassy but I believe that the K712 slightly emphasize the bass range.

I also considered the possibility that DACCORD adds noise/feedback which produce the illusion of depth but I don't have the required reference in order to test the theory (I did notice that crossfeed intensify the illusion of depth).

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #29 of 42
Hi,

Decided to use one device for both DAC and headphone amplifier functionality instead of using Meier DACCORD and Musical-fidelity V90-HPA so I bought the Moon 230HAD. I also thought it will improve the overall sonic quality of my system.

Meier DACCORD build quality is not in the level of 230HAD but, for my ear, DACCORD sonic quality is better.

DACCORD sounds like it produce more depth (more body/life). 230HAD, compared, sounds cleaner/controlled but like it has gone through a noise canceling device. The first thing I notice was that voices on 230HAD sounds flat, and trumpet on DACCORD sounds bigger like they "occupy more space".

With DACCORD it was easier, for me, to get carried away by the music.

Note that this is my first post so I don't really know whether I'm using the right terms.

AKG K712 was used during the test and 230HAD was burned-in in more then 300 hours.

I think that the sound of DACCORD=>230HAD=>k712 was a little bassy but I believe that the K712 slightly emphasize the bass range.

I also considered the possibility that DACCORD adds noise/feedback which produce the illusion of depth but I don't have the required reference in order to test the theory (I did notice that crossfeed intensify the illusion of depth).

I assume you are just comparing the DAC of the Moon with the Meier and using the Moon as an amp for the comparison. Hopefully the moon as amp outperforms the Musical Fidelity given the sizable price difference.

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #30 of 42
I assume you are just comparing the DAC of the Moon with the Meier and using the Moon as an amp for the comparison. Hopefully the moon as amp outperforms the Musical Fidelity given the sizable price difference.

Yes, my post is about comparing the DAC. DACCORD=>230HAD=>k712 vs 230HAD=>k712.

I also compared V90-HPA amp vs 230HAD amp, and yes, 230HAD amp outperforms V90-HPA by a long shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back