Montreal Meet at the SSI 2011
Jan 18, 2011 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

papomaster

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all!

I've just exchanged e-mails with Michel Plante from the SSI and he told me he was interested in having us again at the 2011 edition of the SSI! Last year's meet was a great success as we had a lot of different gear, a beautiful room with headphone only listening and we were lucky enough to have more gear loaned to us by other stands. This year should be even better!

I shall attend of course.... and will gladly take care of some of the planification. I think we should have more help from the sponsors and forum administrators this year, and maybe some interesting stuff from the people we met at the last montreal meet this summer.

Please say if you are coming, and if so which gear you will bring! That should attract more people, especially if we have the bombastic gear we had last year (Hd800, Phoenix, WA2, AD2000, He-5 from fulcrum audio...) and at the last meet this summer (T1, Mad ear+ HD, DT990/600, Hd650...).

As of right now, I should be bringing:

DT880/600, ATH-AD2000
ASL Twinhead, Einar VC-01i
Raysonic cd-128 (not sure, depends if it gets fixed), Denon SD-5900, Technics SL1200, Yaqin MS-22b.
And I should have a nifty DIY rack made by then...

I will also have a lot of interesting vinyl to listen to, such as a 180g version of Unplugged by Eric Clapton.

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 84
I sold almost all my stuff.
I moved toward speaker setup and took the decision to keep Phoenix + HD650 balanced as "good enough" for my headphone setup.

I am looking for a new USB to SPDIF unit now. I sold my Hiface because was under my new reference (Xonar Essence ST). I have to find something as good or better than my soundcard now ... if not able, I will put money to upgrade my small pc to make it more quiet, put a better supply ...

Halide or Audiophileo are the 2 products I am looking after ... with the money back ... it's not too expansive to try ... (60-90$ lost if I don't keep the product probably). But I don't think at a show it's a good place to evaluate this kind of product. lol

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 84
I may bring

Headphone:DT880
Headphone amp: CEC HD53R
Portable setup: UM2 + Minibox E+
DAC: Yulong DA1704
CD player: Linn Genki (Possibly)

BTW, where and when of the meeting? :)

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 84
Thanks

Quote:
It is at the Hilton downtown hotel on march 31st, april 1st and 2nd if I remember correctly. All the infos are on the SSI website.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 84
I'll be there, but I won't be able to stay for as long each day as I have in the past, due to performances on those three days. I will probably leave my stuff, though, and ask that it isn't taken, if this isn't too much to request.

The gear I'll bring:

AKG K701
Buffalo II DAC
Beta22

I finally have some time (and money) to fix the last item, which I will begin to-day. But don't expect nice enclosures yet; cardboard will probably have to do for now. 
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 84
Hmmm, I'll probably be there this year too but with a more complete setup.

I work in an electronics store now so I have access to quite a good selection of things to buy to make my system better.

I'll be bringing these this year :

Transport : DIY Modded Yamaha DVD/SACD Player (On the bench),

DAC :  DIY Modded TC Electronics Konnekt 24D (On the bench),

Amplifier : DIY SOHA II with CBS/Hytron 7318 Tubes (On the bench),

Headphones : Joseph Grado HP2 with JGSUWBRC Cable,

Cables : DIY Canare GS-6 1/4-Rca + Canare LV-61S Coax (On the bench).

Subject to multiple changes as you may see but that's pretty much the lowdown for now.

I'd like to get more involved this year on the organisation side of it all, last year was kind of a quick in & out for me and I'd like to devote more time this year for this.

I've got a few random ideas in my head right now for the room itself.

Would be nice to actually have dealers besides almost each Head-Fiers setup, Like say, example :

Someone has a pair of HD650 in his system, why not place the person right next to the Sennheiser table so that it looks like it's a satisfied customer enjoying his favorite pair of headphones (Well, he/she must be, if he/she chose the product..) and do the same with almost all of us, that way we can prove that headphones is indeed a good legitimate option for audiophiles/audio enthusiasts.

(You probably read my mind, I DON'T WANT TO BE NEXT TO THE GRADO TABLE.)

Just send me a pm, Papo.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 84
Petyot, do you have a 1/4" adapter for the k1000? I'd like to try them with the Twinhead to see if it has enough juice in OTL mode. With my 880/600, I use about 15% of the volume to get ear-blasting volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back