Montréal March 16th Official Meet Impressions
Mar 18, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone?

It's a First Watt F1 Clone. The silver one.

And the black one is a custom Class-T amplifier.

Both sounded very good, but I'm not a K1000 fan.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #19 of 38
Les gars, je suis désolé d'avoir manqué ça
frown.gif
(Pas facile quand tu as des petits enfants..)

J'aurais tellement aimé voir vos réactions en écoutant mes nouveaux Ultrasone ALO-780s
wink.gif

En espérant qu'il y aura une prochaine rencontre bientôt !

Cheers

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #21 of 38
Merci, tout le monde! The F1 clone looks great. The blue circle button is cool and I really like the somewhat narrower than usual form factor on the case with the great heat sinks. The black T amp looks nice too. I thought it might be something other than an amp because I could not see any jacks on the front.
tongue.gif

Cheers!

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Merci, tout le monde! The F1 clone looks great. The blue circle button is cool and I really like the somewhat narrower than usual form factor on the case with the great heat sinks. The black T amp looks nice too. I thought it might be something other than an amp because I could not see any jacks on the front.
tongue.gif

Cheers!

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah the silver one is based on Nelson Pass's F1 design, but with a reduced bias current just to save on electricity costs.
biggrin.gif
It's got a couple extras like DC offset protection, soft start and mute delay, but otherwise very close to his original design.

The black amp is a 41hz Amp5 (tripath TA2022) with a 240VA transformer and muting circuit. I use it to drive my home speaker system, but brought it for comparison in driving the K1000s. It does a terrible job, compared to the F1..
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah the silver one is based on Nelson Pass's F1 design, but with a reduced bias current just to save on electricity costs.
biggrin.gif
It's got a couple extras like DC offset protection, soft start and mute delay, but otherwise very close to his original design.

The black amp is a 41hz Amp5 (tripath TA2022) with a 240VA transformer and muting circuit. I use it to drive my home speaker system, but brought it for comparison in driving the K1000s. It does a terrible job, compared to the F1..
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you base your form factor on Pass's X-series, because I see a family resemblance, and it looks great. All you need now is to put a VU meter on there.

And you know you want to up the bias current...come on...
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you base your form factor on Pass's X-series, because I see a family resemblance, and it looks great. All you need now is to put a VU meter on there.

And you know you want to up the bias current...come on...
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually it was just the nicest case I could find... resemblance is a pure coincidence.
smily_headphones1.gif

The problem with upping the bias current in my case is my transformer is just too damned small, so it's creating a buzzing noise. There's no way I could fit anything bigger than 240VA in the case (and even that was tight as all hell). If I were to do it again I'd definitely go with 2x240 or 1x600.

With my current bias, the buzzing noise is just barely perceptible in a dead silent room if you cover the left channel... for normal listening it's inaudible, but you could hear it at 2A/side.
mad.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #25 of 38
Une idée comme ca ... je ne sais pas si les compagnies répondent bien aux demandes de prêts d'équipements ? RSA, SP, Woo, VD ...

Entendre des projets DIY, des produits inusités, haut de gamme est définivement ce qui va attirer les gens.

C'est un effet boule de neige.

En audio, c'est toujours le fun d'avoir un aperçu de jusqu'ou on peut aller. C'est une référence.

Pour ma part, une autre rencontre dans un temps plus clément (printemps ou début été qui ne serait pas un dimanche) pourrait m'intéresser.

J'ai beaucoup de stock qui pourrait intéresser les gens .. (voir ma signature).

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #26 of 38
We should organize a North-Eastern meet, possibly by inviting some sponsors and doing it on 2 days. Maybe some shops if we can. But the thing is that we need some brain-storming and some implication!

I can't organize anything between september and may because I train 20 hours a week, go to Cegep, and I have badminton tournaments once every 2 weekends. I bet that most of the people here are in the same kind of situation. However, I'm sure that even though noone is courageous enough to start the organisation of a meet (as he/she would probably do most of the stuff), everyone would do something if they knew they were a part of a whole. If your task is to invite Sennheiser and Koss Canada, for example, then you know that it will take only about half an hour. So if this is your appointed task (decided in a group meet), you will probably find the time to do it. Most people don't want to organise meets because they think it's an overwhelming task to do on your own.

I think we should start a group at some point to organise the next meet (big or not), as the reason why this last meet worked was a concertation between the members (can't talk about me though
tongue.gif
).

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #29 of 38
Just a quick thought...

It was not a popular opinion at the meet, but as much as I was blown away by some of the Grados that were there (HP-2, PS-1, vintage RS-1), I think my Senns stand pretty well against the competition as an all-arounder headphone. It didn't shine as much as the Grados with rock and metal, the bass is a little bit looser than what I'd like and the K1000 were far more refined in the highs, but I'm listening to my M3/HD600 combo right now and I love it.

I don't plan to keep the HD600 forever, but I think it's an incredible value for the price and the sound is balanced enough to be enjoyable with all styles of music. Also, though some Grado-heads disagree with me (*cough*larryminator*cough*), I think the Senns totally slay the Grados (except the HP-2 maybe) for classical music because they give a sense of soundstage, "laid-backness" and lushness that the Grados lack IMO.

With that said, I still plan to re-acquire a Grado in a near future to complement my Senns for energetic types of music.

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #30 of 38
Well I hadn't heard to Grado sound before, so it was quite a new discovery. Then I heard the Senns and they sounded good and perhaps for an everyday use I could prefer those, but on the spur of the moment I preferred to listen to Grado as they were different. Also the vast choice of Grado made it really fun to compare them and see the quality vs price curve of headphones.

All in all I enjoyed listening to all the headphones there although I had a bit of problem with a lot of people talking while listening to the Audio-Technica's so I didn't get to hear those properly at all /sad/sad/sad

This said, I'm doing ear impressions for Livewires wednesday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back