Monster Turbine Pro vs. IE8
Feb 22, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by noxa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm starting to wonder if many of you have actually heard the ie8 the mtp is quite good but far from ie8 good

I know I have. In my opinion, they're both quite good, and I like the MTPG more. I also like to use punctuation in my sentences, but -- as with everything else here -- that's a subjective matter.
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #48 of 65
I own the IE8 and the MTP Gold. I have been going back and forth between the two. I have also burned-in the MTP for 500+ hours to be fair. I've lost count of how many hours of burn-in I have with the IE8 but it's definitely 500+. I have listened with the Sony X (no EQ) and I still prefer the IE8 by a fair margin. Compared to the IE8, the MTP mids sound recessed. The airiness/openness and soundstage/headstage of the IE8 is excellent in my opinion. The MTP gives a sense of a more closed space, which is more monitor like. To be honest I did not like the highs from the MTP with the supplied tips, but I went into my bag of many different tips and found that the ebay UE dual flange tips and Shure E2C black softflex sleeves work best for me. The highs have really opened up and are not sibilant. In fact, the highs are the only thing that I prefer over the IE8. I also still have the IE7 and Klipsch Custom 3 (remolded) and there are areas in which I prefer the MTP, but overall, I prefer them both over the MTP. Just my opinion. They are good, but understanding that they are the new FOTM iem, I can understand why they are getting some rave reviews. I remember when the same thing happened with the original MT. For $200 usd and below, I would say it would be a fair value for the MTP Gold. I have not heard the copper version but some people are reporting that the gold and copper are very similar.

On sunny days in public, I got a lot of stares with the MTP Gold. They reflect light and I guess that is what grabs people's attention. I noticed a couple of shady characters repeatedly stared at them while I was on the bus but nothing happened. Now I use them for working out. With the lifetime warranty, I'll just get them replaced when they fail due to moisture and sweat. Can't go wrong with that!

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #49 of 65
No, you can't.

And since I paid $118 with the newegg open box special, you can understand why I like them even more.

Just to explain my POV more, I had the IE7s after the IE8, and just could not get a good fit and found them fairly unexciting. I sold the IE8 because I detested the fit, I like a solid seal, with great iso, and the IE8s are not those phones. Plus, at the time I had the Westone 3s and found them to be more dynamic (in the sense of excitement) than the IE8s, which were too laid back for me.

As for the Custom 3s, I guess I just could not warm up to them, but since I got them so cheaply at the time ($150), I wanted to try them out. I always felt they were missing something, not sure what now it's been so long ago. And I sold them to a HFer in the UK, who eventually sold them to mark2410. LOL.

Anyway, I realize they have a certain FOTM "glow" around them, but they have been out since November. I think it's more related to price drops than FOTM. Same with the CK10s. At $349, not interested. At $199, very interested. It's a good thing, since many of these phones come out with unrealistic MSRPs in my view. When them come more down to earth, of course people will buy and try them.

No one is staring at my MTPGs, not that I notice. Of course, they are too cold to even look up with this crappy winter.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #50 of 65
Rip N' Burn-
Sounds like we hear things quite similarly regarding the IE8's. Lucky us we get a good fit with them, and hear them at their full potential.

Hope the MTP's don't get jacked by any of the shady characters you've seen!

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And since I paid $118 with the newegg open box special, you can understand why I like them even more.

For msrp, I would expect more from the MTP. For $118, I would be very impressed. I would have jumped on that deal instantly. I assume that they had very limited quantities for that price, so I don't feel too bad.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #52 of 65
Yeah, I think they had two pair. Just kidding. But at least that's all I can discern of HFers getting them at that price (playingwithfire is the only other HFer I know who got them from the newegg deal). They said 5 limit per buyer, but I doubt they had many. So yes, the "halo effect" of getting them at that price is in play, no doubt about it. Then again, I paid $224 for my IE8s, in that crazy NCIX.com deal awhile back. Always on the hunt for a deal.

Best thing is Monster will honor the lifetime warranty, open box or not.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rip N' Burn-
Sounds like we hear things quite similarly regarding the IE8's. Lucky us we get a good fit with them, and hear them at their full potential.

Hope the MTP's don't get jacked by any of the shady characters you've seen!

It's the UE single flange, shure E2C black softflex, and the ebay UE dual flange tips that worked the best for me. I get a better seal and isolation with the dual flange tips but I like the sound from the UE single flange tips the best and they reveal the potential that I missed with other tips. The IE8 is a bit finicky, but when you figure out which tips to use and insertion depth, they will start to shine. The UE single flange tips don't work well with the MTP.

I won't be using the MTP in public when it's sunny. Too much bling for my taste. I'm not a person that wants to stand out in public. I'd rather blend in with the crowd.

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I painted mine with camouflage paint. Now, safe and sound (great sound).

You now have the Military Monster Turbine Pro (MMTP). The Sgt Elvis A. Presley edition. Monster just needs to put some Elvis pictures on the box and set msrp to $999.

elvis-in-the-us-army.jpg

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You now have the Military Monster Turbine Pro (MMTP). The Sgt Elvis A. Presley edition. Monster just needs to put some Elvis pictures on the box and set msrp to $999.

Heheh...
icon10.gif

tstarn06, any chance we could get a pic or two?

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #58 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heheh...
icon10.gif

tstarn06, any chance we could get a pic or two?

definitely interested in the pic. My MTP is going on eaby, maybe I can make $20 out of this so when I do lose money when I sell my W3, it'll hurt slightly less!

My problem with the MTP was fit, they are the trickiest IEM for me to fit yet(that includes the TF10). The housings are just so heavy that with some slight movement the seal is lost, the fact that I hate comply foams' ickyness and my refusal to use it probably didn't help.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by playingwithfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely interested in the pic. My MTP is going on eaby, maybe I can make $20 out of this so when I do lose money when I sell my W3, it'll hurt slightly less!

My problem with the MTP was fit, they are the trickiest IEM for me to fit yet(that includes the TF10). The housings are just so heavy that with some slight movement the seal is lost, the fact that I hate comply foams' ickyness and my refusal to use it probably didn't help.

It might be too late, but the new Monster hybrid foams have an ETA of mid to late april (just emailed Monster about it).

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by playingwithfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was kidding about the camouflage. no pics. Maybe someone could start a modding service to turn the gold into some other color/finish.

As for fit, I wear them down with the shirt clip, and with the small super tips, they never feel heavy and the seal stays intact when I walk around town with them. No need for Complys for me to keep them in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back