Monster Turbine Pro vs. IE8
Feb 22, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #32 of 65
Thanks Dobber65 for your opinions, I'll go with the MTPG and see how my ears think about it. I would be surprise if this is an upgrade from my Westone 3 but it's deep bass and neutral signature may bring something new to the table.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #33 of 65
I look forward to your impressions. I hope you enjoy them.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #34 of 65
I got the MTP, I had a quick listen then let them burn in.

My initial thoughts would be that these are very well built headphones, the box looks like you can put expensive jewelery in them lol.

I've not listen to the IE8 so I can't comment, but compare to my Westone 3, the Turbines produce much deeper and tighter bass compare to the W3 midbass hump which can be distracting. On most of my hip hop tracks, the bass is just wonderfull. Also I think the MTP handle females vocal better for my taste. Because the W3 have bright highs and sibilance issue.

I think the MTP is more neutral compare to my W3 which is quite warm, but for some tracks, I still prefer the warm signature of the W3. And W3 sparkling highs makes listening to classical and instrumental more enjoyable. But for my main genre, R&b and hip hop, the MTP perform flawlessly.

(I honestly don't know how accurate my impressions are cuz I'm just a 16 year old kid
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #35 of 65
I also compared MT with IE8 and prefer hand-down MT for their bass,
soundstage of the IE8 do not satisfy me compared with well balanced
and clear sound of MT.
Now I'm waiting a pair of MTP :)

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #36 of 65
Here is a review that favors the sound of the Klipsch Custom 3 and Sennheiser IE7 over the MTP:

Monster Cable Turbine Pro Professional In-Ear Headphones (Playback 25) | AVguide

"Sonically, the Turbine Pro offers extremely smooth frequency response with deep, powerful bass, but the Custom 3 sounds even richer and more evocative, delivering superior highs, more nuanced bass, and slightly higher levels of openness and transparency—especially in the critical midrange. The Custom 3 is also somewhat more sensitive and therefore an easier load for iPods to drive."

"Sonically, the Turbine Pro has a somewhat darker tonal balance than the IE7, which some listeners might prefer. The tradeoff, however, is that IE7 does a more accurate and expressive job of capturing low level details and small shifts in dynamic emphasis, while delivering exceptionally clear upper mids and highs, plus taut and very well-defined bass. "

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #37 of 65
while im no fan of anything made by moster, you should always take reviews with a grain of salt and compare what different people say, im sure you can find a review where the reviewer prefers a double cheeseburger to the IE8,

the IE8 seems like the better choice (i´ll admit it, im bought and paid for, love my IE8) and monster does have a reputation for making overpriced junk and spending more money on having their products in a lady gaga video then actually spending it in a lab where it counts for making a better headphone,

im just saying, block out the fanboys, google youself some reviews and check out what people say about both, and try not to follow blidnly,

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #38 of 65
Amen to that. Not that I am on the level of an AV Guide reviewer, but I owned both the IE7 and the Custom 3s, and each one lasted about a week at my house before I sold them. I had the IE8 too, and it stayed around longer, but not much longer.

Also, I would not say Monster makes ovepriced junk, I would say they make overpriced gear. The cables I have around here from Monster (mainly A/V cables I got from friends who no longer needed them) are not junk, but they were definitely overpriced. However, despite the high MSRPs on the Turbine lineup, the prices have come down to earth pretty quickly from a variety of sources.

Also, do the Custom 3 and IE7 offer lifetime warranties (including a one-time lifetime replacement)?

Finally, as one who gets the AV Guide delivered to my inbox monthly, sometimes their reviews are so wishy-washy you start to wonder how much sway advertising has to do with their reviewers' POV. Times are very, very tough in the magazine biz these days, from one who knows first-hand. Making it very hard to bite the hands that feed you. Not saying I haev proof it happens at AVG, but on balance their reviews are pretty positive, regardless of the manufacturer or product.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #39 of 65
A lot of people would and should say that Monster makes overpriced junk myself included, However it does seem that there new MTP line transcends that reputation. I have not heard the new MTP's but the Golds are on my radar after reading several dozen reviews by all different types of people including some here at head fi that would really like to trash a Monster product for being over priced junk but even they couldn't help but give the MTP line good reviews.The Coppers are getting even better reviews but for my musical taste's it seems the golds would suite me more.

Honestly just read some of the user reviews here and you at least need to consider that the MTP's are oddly a product line that Monster is taking seriously and quickly carving up a space for themselves in high end IEM's.

I sense some IE8 owners getting a little defensive not just in this thread but a few other threads when someone is comparing a MTP IEM to it. And some of the IE8 owners are flat out enjoying the MTP's more as seen in this thread as well.

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #40 of 65
If the Monster Pros are even darker sounder than the already dark IE7, that really doesn't sound appealing. Other reviews have talked about the clear and detailed sound of the Monster Pros so it seems theres a bit of debate on what the overall sound of these IEMs are...

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #42 of 65
I will admit that the MTP golds interest me by the descriptions of their sound, but I just can't get past the fact that they're soooo freaking m-ugly, and blingy. So much so that I'd be afraid to go out in public with them stuck in my ears. There's really nothing understated or elegant about their look at all, no design savvy. Once they konk out, can you take them to your local gold reseller???
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people would and should say that Monster makes overpriced junk myself included, However it does seem that there new MTP line transcends that reputation. I have not heard the new MTP's but the Golds are on my radar after reading several dozen reviews by all different types of people including some here at head fi that would really like to trash a Monster product for being over priced junk but even they couldn't help but give the MTP line good reviews.The Coppers are getting even better reviews but for my musical taste's it seems the golds would suite me more.

Honestly just read some of the user reviews here and you at least need to consider that the MTP's are oddly a product line that Monster is taking seriously and quickly carving up a space for themselves in high end IEM's.

I sense some IE8 owners getting a little defensive not just in this thread but a few other threads when someone is comparing a MTP IEM to it. And some of the IE8 owners are flat out enjoying the MTP's more as seen in this thread as well.

Interesting. Guess you've been burned by Monster gear via purchase, since you know their products are by and large junk and not just overpriced. I have two HDMI cables here, one generic and one Monster. One is $8 and one is $79. They both work, neither are junk, and one is way overpriced (though it is fancier looking). That was my point. Guess you have a better grasp of the entire Monster product line, though, since you have decided that everything they sell is junk. I certainly am not defending their pricing policy. Maybe a lot "would," but your view that a lot "should" is no doubt borne out by your experience buying/using their most of their stuff, right?

Again, I am no fan of Monster and in the past have shunned their gear for price reasons, and have talked many of my friends out of paying their high prices at Best Buy and other big box stores, but an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable in my view.

Only reason I responded is because I guess I don't agree with your assertion, and you certainly weren't shy about disagreeing with mine (junk vs. overpriced).

As for the Monster effort in the IEM/headphones arena, they certainly are trying to overcome the rep of selling overpriced stuff, junk or not junk. However, I might agree that some of the designs used for some of their phones do indeed look junky, to me.

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #44 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will admit that the MTP golds interest me by the descriptions of their sound, but I just can't get past the fact that they're soooo freaking m-ugly, and blingy. So much so that I'd be afraid to go out in public with them stuck in my ears. There's really nothing understated or elegant about their look at all, no design savvy. Once they konk out, can you take them to your local gold reseller???
biggrin.gif

So far, I've worn them in public 3-4 times and guess what? No one even looks at them. People really don't care that much what your IEMs look like, honest.

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #45 of 65
I'm starting to wonder if many of you have actually heard the ie8 the mtp is quite good but far from ie8 good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back