Monster Turbine Pro Copper
Feb 4, 2010 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,752

Enanthate

100+ Head-Fier
I noticed they just dropped in price on amazon to $254 and an authorized dealer onecall had them even cheaper for $249+free shipping. Being the thrifty guy I am
biggrin.gif
I decided to offer them $200 using their "my price" option. I received an email promptly there after of $224.95+free shipping. Well needless to say my wallet is a bit lighter and they are being fedexed to my door as we speak.

I figure with the limited lifetime warranty and all the raving reviews of the foam/silicon tips. If these end up being more accurate/less bassy versions of the gold models then I'll be a happy camper.
ksc75smile.gif

MTPC(Monster Turbine Pro Copper) Impressions

After a long and tedious wait......pics are taken off my Droid so excuse imperfections. *Disclaimer*These are just impressions with relatively 5hrs of use. I will post final impressions next week after substantial burn-in.

2010-02-11171102.jpg

Build Quality: I won't go too much into this as many have expressed their opinions on the great construction of these phones(Gold version is identical). They're built like a tank! All metal housings coupled with a fantastic cable that seems to lack any memory at all, makes the MTP seem like they will last a long life. The only quarrel I have is with the lack of strain reliefs in most obvious places(See pic below). Even the reliefs on the plug and below the phones are entirely too stiff. Microphonics are about average from what I've heard, but are completely eliminated when worn over the ear.

2010-02-11184802.jpg

Accessories: For a retail price of $400 I'd expect Monster to throw in the kitchen sink and for the most part they don't disappoint. Again I won't go deep into something that has been discussed already. The included pouch is nice but I believe they should have included a larger case. The one given to Klipsch X-10 and Custom 3 owners is of much better usefulness. A 1/8'' to 1/4'' adapter is included as well.

Monster included a vast amount tips for your disposal. S/M/L silicons, M/L tri-flanges, black Comply T-400's and their new super tips. I was expecting the tips included with the copper version of these phones to be the silicon/foam hybrid tips I've been hearing about, to my disappointment they were the gel filled ones. Almost jinxed by average joe (j/k), these tips do not perform as well as I expected. It seems that there isn't enough movement/dead space in these tips to form a proper seal. If there was less gel in the tip I think these would work great but neither size yielded an air tight seal.

2010-02-11184653.jpg

Sound Quality: This was done w/ 7g Ipod>High End ZY Cable>P3+>ALAC. Since the RE0 has become a staple iem that many head-fier's own, I think it would be easiest to do a quick comparison of the two.

Bass: Slightly forward, not bass shy like the RE0. Has great mid bass quantity and clarity but lacks the low rumble and reverb of bass monsters like my C710's. RE0 has faster attack and decay but the MTPC isn't far behind.

Midrange: This was by far the most enjoyable part of the MTPC. Neutral/slightly forward presentation but so smooth/warm. Makes the RE0 sound lifeless and sucked out for most male vocals. Detail is outstanding but seems to lack the micro detail of the RE0, still no slouch.

Highs: As much as I enjoy the high end control and sparkle of these phones, they still cannot match the extension and forwardness of the RE0. Every part of the high end is detailed and controlled but just a hair behind the treble king.

Soundstage/Seperation: Both were remarkable. Soundstage was very wide and coupled with the fantastic instrument separation, makes this phones presentation airy, open and inviting.

Burn-in impressions to come.

Added 2/23/10
With roughly 100hrs. on these now I can confidently say that Monster did by no means take their professional series phones lightly. With a limited lifetime warranty that screams serious dedication to a product, they seal the deal with seemingly indestructible build quality. Coming into a flooded market of high end universal fit monitors, the MTPC takes it's place among the top tier iems. Everything from the included accessories to the creation of new types of "super tips" begs the question "What does Monster have up it's sleeve next?". I personally am relieved to see a company that may still be frowned upon for it's overpriced interconnects take a step back and realize another market they can expand and profit in.

My overall experience with the MTPC has been stellar. Coming from another well constructed set of iems (CK10) these keep in my high expectations for durability. Being able to wear them down or up is another great aspect (I prefer up using phonak ear guides). After exhausting many tip combinations I ended up with the grey silicon PFE tips in primary use. These tips retain all of the great sound I get with the sony hybrids but also extend the treble forward. Creating a crisp, spacious and dynamic sound. Through extended listening sessions my belief is these iems benefit from a decent amount of burn-in. Bass becomes very tight and punchy, though still lacks reverb in its extension. This recession in the sub bass helps the mid bass stand out and retain neutrality in the MTPC. Never too pronounced, the full mid bass cuts off almost perfectly to the midrange. Instruments, female and male vocals are depicted with the utmost clarity and timbre. Every note and chorus line is the way music should be enjoyed, effortlessly and full of emotion. The slightly forward presentation of the mids helps with detail retrieval and subtle nuances in sound. With a little help from the phonak tips, treble becomes just as enjoyable as the rest of the frequencies. Fully extended and again slightly forward would be the best description of the high end. Sparkle and clarity with uniform treble control is to be appreciated with these phones. Not to be outdone, soundstage and seperation remain to be a large part of why the MTPC are a keeper in my book. On top of a neutral sound signature, the expansive feeling of being surrounded by drums, cymbals and vocals is nothing short of amazing. Each in their respective areas, none overpowering the others.

Among all this I have to ask "What does Monster have up it's sleeve next?"

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 1,752
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enanthate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed they just dropped in price on amazon to $254 and an authorized dealer onecall had them even cheaper for $249+free shipping. Being the thrifty guy I am
biggrin.gif
I decided to offer them $200 using their "my price" option. I received an email promptly there after of $224.95+free shipping. Well needless to say my wallet is a bit lighter and they are being fedexed to my door as we speak.

I figure with the limited lifetime warranty and all the raving reviews of the foam/silicon tips. If these end up being more accurate/less bassy versions of the gold models then I'll be a happy camper.
ksc75smile.gif

Where is the "my price" option on amazon?

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 1,752
That's weird, they have the Turbine gold for the same price, which doesn't make much sense as it's supposed to be $100 cheaper or so.

I've seen the turbine gold for $200.

Oh, and thanks for the link!

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 1,752
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's weird, they have the Turbine gold for the same price, which doesn't make much sense as it's supposed to be $100 cheaper or so.

I've seen the turbine gold for $200.

Oh, and thanks for the link!

No prob.

I couldn't believe that the price was so low either, especially so soon after it's release. Amazon typically matches the lowest price of it's sellers and onecall is the only place I've seen the price this low. So it's quite possible if onecall raises it back to what everyone else is selling for($380) amazon will follow suit.

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 1,752
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, they aren't offering me the same deal they offered you!
frown.gif

All I get is an automated email saying they will contact me when the price goes to $200...

That's the same email I got followed shortly after by an offer of $224. Give it a bit, hopefully they get to you in a timely manner.

I will post first impressions and burn in impressions when they arrive. Unfortunately it won't be till next thursday according to fedex
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 1,752
I offered $220 to onecall yesterday and they accepted. I think $220 is the lowest they will go. I would get the copper edition while you can at this price, because strange as it is, they'll probably skyrocket like other brands - most noticeably the Denons closed cans (AH-D2000 and up). I sure hope they sound better than the gold edition I recently sold. Nice thing about ordering from onecall is that they are an authorized Monster dealer, so no issues when sending them to Monster for warranty or exercise your one time at fault replacement unit. Keep this in mind when getting them from eBay or other so-called unauthorized source because Monster will not budge with the warranty. I inquired about my gold editions when I had them and Monster flat out ignored me.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 1,752
I just wish they weren't so hideous looking. I usually don't place much importance on aesthetics, but these things are just WAYYY too cheesy looking. I might as well start wearing gold teeth....

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 1,752
I would say they look rather nice in person... but I'm not a fan of gold, or copper for that matter. I avoid it like the plague. Personally, I always thought gold was ugly, but that's just me =P

Now if they had these in something like platinum or some pretty color. It also seems kind of odd that their higher end can would be copor colored as opposed to gold, but whatevs. Maybe they'll come out with a platinum one later =P

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 1,752
I agree about the silver/platinum color. I'd feel better about that. I actually really like the look and feel of the original turbines. If the Turbine Pro had the same color scheme as the original turbines, and stronger (while more understated & less gaudy) strain reliefs, I'd be all over them.

They just dont look very "pro" to me. To each his own I guess.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 1,752
I'm actually really interested in the Jamz or lil jamz. When I get my paycheck, I might just go out on a limb and check them out. There are absolutely no enthusiast impressions anywhere except for a couple of consumer reviews on monster's site, and headroom's uber tiny impressions. I generally trust headroom's thought, but they don't have a value rating up for it yet so idk. They did imply they sound better than the gaga and regular beats IEMs though, and that they were rly good for the price. Their more understated look and apparently awesome build quality has caught my eye(ear?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back